Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plausability of a Plasma Jet Electric Thruster

1. Oct 7, 2012 #1
    I frequent this website occasionally, but most of the projects on it aren't nearly as outreaching as this one appears to be.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...lectric-thrusters-for-spacecraft?ref=category

It's basically a group of 3 scientists trying to raise upwards of $70,000 to fund a plasma jet electric thruster, which they hope will be a far more efficient process for space travel. This is all way over my head, so I was wondering if anyone with the proper credentials could clarify whether or not this is feasible.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Oct 8, 2012 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

1kW input power, 20km/s exhaust velocity correspond to a maximal thrust of 0.1N - with the 10% efficiency number, this is reduced to 0.01N. Ion thrusters have similar values, but this table indicates a better efficiency. Maybe they can decrease the size, but in terms of efficiency they won't get much. More maximal thrust would be interesting, too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook