Can Video Games in the Workplace Boost Productivity and Teamwork?

• Thread starter gail berry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation was about the speaker's boss bringing in two new video games for their Wii system in the break room at work. One game, Ironman 2, was recommended as a good one player game while the other game, Backyard Sports Sandlot Sluggers, was recommended for four players. The speaker expressed excitement to try out the games during lunch the next day. The conversation also briefly mentioned the thread title and the potential of it being seen as advertising.
gail berry
MY boss got 2 new video games for our Wii system in our break room. 1. Ironman 2 it's a good 1 player game. 2. Backyard Sports Sandlot Sluggers it's a good 4 player game. I can't wait till lunch tomorrow to try them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Gail, what does your thread title have to do with playing Wii at work?

Hi Evo, that's where I'm playing my game at work. Just thought I mention it.

gail berry said:
Hi Evo, that's where I'm playing my game at work. Just thought I mention it.
Ok, I will edit the thread so as not to cause confusion since we do not allow anythinhg that could be construed as advertising.

I am always interested in the impact of technology on our daily lives. While video games can certainly provide a fun and engaging break from work, it is important to also consider the potential effects on productivity and overall workplace culture.

From a neurological perspective, playing video games can activate the reward centers in our brain and release dopamine, which can lead to feelings of pleasure and motivation. This can be beneficial in a work setting, as it can increase energy and focus. However, it is important to also consider the potential for distraction and loss of productivity if employees become too engrossed in the games.

In terms of teamwork and collaboration, games like Backyard Sports Sandlot Sluggers can be a great way to build camaraderie and foster a sense of friendly competition among coworkers. However, it is important to ensure that all employees have equal access and opportunity to participate in these activities, as exclusion can lead to negative feelings and division within the workplace.

Additionally, it may be worth considering implementing a schedule or time limit for playing video games at work, to ensure that it does not interfere with important tasks and responsibilities. Overall, incorporating video games in the workplace can be a fun and beneficial addition, as long as it is done in moderation and with consideration for the overall goals and dynamics of the workplace.

1. What are the benefits of playing Wii games at work?

Playing Wii games at work can have several benefits. It can help improve employee morale, reduce stress levels, increase productivity, and promote team building and communication.

2. Will playing Wii games at work be a distraction?

While any type of game can potentially be a distraction, studies have shown that short breaks for physical activity, such as playing Wii games, can actually increase focus and productivity.

3. Is it appropriate to play Wii games at work?

This ultimately depends on the company culture and policies. Some companies may encourage it as a way to promote a healthy work-life balance, while others may not allow it at all. It's important to check with your supervisor or HR department before bringing Wii games into the workplace.

4. What Wii games are best for playing at work?

Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Just Dance are popular choices for playing at work as they promote physical activity and can be played in short bursts. However, any Wii game that encourages movement and can be played in short rounds can be suitable for the workplace.

5. Are there any potential downsides to playing Wii games at work?

While playing Wii games at work can have numerous benefits, it's important to use them in moderation and make sure they do not interfere with work responsibilities. Additionally, some employees may not be comfortable with playing games at work, so it's important to be respectful of everyone's preferences.