Please check this convergence test

In summary: That is, if a series is decreasing, it's still possible that it will diverge.Thanks, this is much clearer now.
ognik
$ \sum_{n} \ln\left({1+\frac{1}{n}}\right) $

$ \ln\left({1+\frac{1}{n}}\right) = \ln\left({1}\right) + \ln\left({\frac{1}{n}}\right) = 0 +\ln\left({{n}^{-1}}\right) = -\ln\left({n}\right)$

Now $\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} -\ln\left({n}\right) \ne 0$, therefore the series diverges.

(Also can you suggest an alternate approach?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey ognik,

Need to be a bit more careful: $\ln\left(1+\frac{1}{n}\right)\neq \ln(1)+\ln\left(\frac{1}{n}\right)$

Oops, blush...

probably because everything else I've tried didn't go anywhere, a hint please? I expect it to diverge because 1/n diverges, so ln 1/n will also diverge, albeit slower ...

If you try and calculate the sum, you'll find it's a telescoping series with log(n+1) as the "unresolved" term. The sum is therefore equivalent to log(n + 1) in the limit, so it diverges.

Last edited:
Thanks - is there an easy/reliable way to tell if a series is telescoping? (other than writing out the terms and seeing what is left...)

The book reckons $ln (1+\frac{1}{n}) \approx \frac{1}{n}$ - but I don't know why this is, could someone please walk me through it?

ognik said:
...The book reckons $ln (1+\frac{1}{n}) \approx \frac{1}{n}$ - but I don't know why this is, could someone please walk me through it?

Look at first term of the Maclaurin series:

\(\displaystyle \ln(1+x)=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}(-1)^{k+1}\frac{x^{k}}{k}\) where $|x|<1$.

ognik said:
$ \sum_{n} \ln\left({1+\frac{1}{n}}\right) $

$ \ln\left({1+\frac{1}{n}}\right) = \ln\left({1}\right) + \ln\left({\frac{1}{n}}\right) = 0 +\ln\left({{n}^{-1}}\right) = -\ln\left({n}\right)$

Now $\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} -\ln\left({n}\right) \ne 0$, therefore the series diverges.

(Also can you suggest an alternate approach?)

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \ln{ \left( 1 + \frac{1}{n} \right) } = \ln{ \left( \frac{n + 1}{n} \right) } = \ln{ \left( n + 1 \right) } - \ln{ \left( n \right) } \end{align*}$

The telescopic nature of this series should now be obvious.

All clear thanks.

Could one also argue that ln(n+1) - ln(n) is clearly increasing (because of the shape of ln(n)) and therefore it diverges?

Differentiate log(n + 1) - log(n) w.r.t. n. What do you find?

Thanks. Do you mean that the slope is > 0, therefore the function diverges?

Did you calculate the derivative of log(n + 1) - log(n) w.r.t. n?

I got $\frac{-1}{n(n+1)}$ which is always decreasing because n > 0

Oh I see now, typo, > should have been < in my prev. post, apologies.

However, my understanding is that showing a series is decreasing is not enough to decide if it converges to a finite value? (and I already know this series diverges)

Last edited:
Right; I believe that's what they call "necessary but not sufficient".

1. What is a convergence test?

A convergence test is a method used to determine if a mathematical series, such as an infinite sum, will converge (approach a finite value) or diverge (approach infinity).

2. Why is it important to check convergence?

Checking convergence is important because it tells us whether a series is mathematically meaningful and can be used to make accurate calculations. If a series diverges, it means that the calculations based on it will not be accurate or reliable.

3. How do you check for convergence?

There are several convergence tests that can be used, depending on the type of series. Some common tests include the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These tests involve evaluating certain limits or integrals to determine if the series converges or diverges.

4. What happens if a series fails the convergence test?

If a series fails the convergence test, it means that the series diverges and is not meaningful for making calculations. This could be due to various reasons, such as the terms of the series not approaching zero or the series not being a geometric or power series.

5. Can a series pass one convergence test but fail another?

Yes, it is possible for a series to pass one convergence test but fail another. Different tests have different limitations and may be more suitable for certain types of series. It is important to use multiple tests to confirm the convergence or divergence of a series.