What is the tangential acceleration of a rotating crankshaft?

• Thread starter darko21
  • Start date
In summary, the tangential acceleration of a point on the surface of a crankshaft with a diameter of 3.0 cm, rotating at 2300 rpm, and coming to a halt in 1.30 s is 10004.7 meters per second per second. The variables used are angular velocity (W), tangent velocity (v), radius (r), angular acceleration (@), tangential acceleration (A), and time (t). The final and initial angular velocities are represented by Wf and Wi, but since the final velocity is zero, W = @t can be used. The unit conversion for rpm to rps was incorrect, which led to an incorrect answer.
darko21

Homework Statement

A crankshaft with a diameter of 3.0 cm , rotating at 2300 rpm comes to a halt in 1.30 s . What is the tangential acceleration of a point on the surface of the crankshaft?

Homework Equations

W=v/r
Wf=Wi+@t
@=At/r

The Attempt at a Solution

-2300 rpm=138000r/s=13006.19m/s

-v=13006.19m/s
-r=.015m
-t=1.3

-W=867079

-@=666983

-@10004.7

the answer is completely wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
darko21 said:
A crankshaft with a diameter of 3.0 , rotating at 2300 comes to a halt in 1.30 . What is the tangential acceleration of a point on the surface of the crankshaft?

What are the units on those numbers?

sylas said:
What are the units on those numbers?

sorry, edited

did you convert the units, cm to m and rpm to rps?

edit: you did, but:

-2300 rpm=138000r/s=...?

2300 rpm=2300r/m=2300r/(60 sec)=2300/60 r/s

Last edited:
yes, if you see i said the radius = 1.5cm=.015m and 2300rpm=13006.19m/s

darko21 said:

Homework Statement

A crankshaft with a diameter of 3.0 cm , rotating at 2300 rpm comes to a halt in 1.30 s . What is the tangential acceleration of a point on the surface of the crankshaft?

Homework Equations

W=v/r
Wf=Wi+@t
@=At/r

Giving names the variables so we know what is being discussed.

W (angular velocity in radians per second)
v (tangent velocity in meters per second)
r (radius in meters)
@ (angular acceleration in radians per sec per sec)
A (tangential acceleration in meters per sec per sec)
t (time in seconds)

Wf is final and Wi is initial; but since it is going to zero, we can just use W = @t

Drizzle is right. You've done the unit conversions in step 3 incorrectly.

ahh finally! I am clumsy.. thank you

darko21 said:
ahh finally! I am clumsy.. thank you

no you’re not, just think logically next time after you did the conversion of units, i.e. could the number of rounds in a second be greater than the number of rounds in min of the same system or should it be less? just a bit of advice :wink:

1. What should I do if I feel like I'm going crazy?

If you feel like you are losing control of your thoughts or emotions, it's important to seek help from a mental health professional. They can provide support and guidance to help you manage your feelings and improve your mental well-being.

2. How can I prevent myself from going crazy?

Taking care of your mental health is key to preventing feelings of insanity. This includes practicing self-care, seeking therapy or counseling when needed, and finding healthy coping mechanisms for stress and anxiety.

3. What are some signs that I may be going crazy?

Some common signs that you may be struggling with your mental health include feeling overwhelmed or out of control, having difficulty concentrating, experiencing intense and irrational fears, and having trouble managing your emotions.

4. Are there any resources I can use to help me cope?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you cope with feelings of insanity. These include therapy, support groups, self-help books, and hotlines that offer crisis support and resources for mental health.

5. What can I do if someone I know is struggling with feelings of insanity?

If you know someone who is struggling, it's important to offer support and understanding. Encourage them to seek help from a mental health professional and offer to listen without judgment. You can also provide resources and information on available support options.