How Do You Derive the Equations of Motion in Physics?

• Thread starter kevinli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the student is seeking an explanation for the equations v=a*t, d=v*t, d=(a*t)*t, d=at2, Vaverage=Vf/2, and d=1/2Vf*t, in order to better understand the concept of velocity and distance in relation to acceleration and time. They have also mentioned that these equations may be useful in understanding free fall or projectiles.
kevinli
Please help! Easy motion question!

Homework Statement

Please explain these steps to me. My physics teacher went too fast :(

v=a*t
d=v*t
d=(a*t)*t
d=at2
Vaverage=Vf/2
=1/2Vf
d=1/2Vf*t
d=1/2at2

Thank you for your help

Homework Equations

v=a*t -> d=1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi kevinli , welcome to PF ^^

first equation (v=a*t) is for Velocity = acceleration * time

in units = (m/s²)*(s) = (m/s) which is the SI unit for Velocity ^^

the second one (d=v*t) is for distance = velocity * time

in units = (m/s) * (s) = (m) which is also the SI unit for Distance

In this equation (d=(a*t)*t) he just substitued v with (a*t)

and he got this one (d=at2)

Here in this equation (Vaverage=Vf/2) i think he assumed Vi = 0
the initial velocity = 0 so the average Vf-Vi=Vf and divide by 2 ^^

He used the average velocity = (1/2)Vf in this equation d=v*t Instead of v

So he will get d= (1/2)Vf * t

and from first equation v=a*t

Or we can say Vf=a*t
we get

d=(1/2)at²

And finally i want to tell U that these equations will help U In free fall or projectiles
I hope i have explained what U want , & hope that u get it well now if it is what u want to know ^^

Welcome to PF kevinli :smile:

kevinli said:

Homework Statement

Please explain these steps to me. My physics teacher went too fast :(

v=a*t
What is v here? We talk about average, initial, and final velocity. Which velocity is it?

d=v*t
That should read
d = Vaverage*t​

d=(a*t)*t
d=at2
The above 2 equations are wrong.

Vaverage=Vf/2
=1/2Vf
d=1/2Vf*t
d=1/2at2
Look at these last two equations. If they are true (which they are), that implies that
Vf = ____?​

FAQ: How Do You Derive the Equations of Motion in Physics?

1. What is "Easy motion"?

Easy motion refers to a method of motion analysis that involves breaking down a complex motion into smaller, simpler components in order to better understand and analyze it.

2. How is "Easy motion" used in scientific research?

Easy motion is commonly used in biomechanics, sports science, and other fields to study human movement and improve performance. It is also used in robotics and other engineering fields to design and optimize motion patterns.

3. What are the benefits of using "Easy motion" in research?

By breaking down a complex motion into smaller components, Easy motion allows for a more detailed analysis and understanding of movement patterns. This can help identify areas for improvement and optimize performance in various fields.

4. Are there any limitations to using "Easy motion"?

While Easy motion can provide valuable insights, it is important to note that it is not a perfect representation of real-world movement. The simplified components may not capture all aspects of a motion and may not accurately reflect the complexity of human movement.

5. How can I incorporate "Easy motion" into my own research?

If you are interested in using Easy motion in your research, there are various software programs and tools available that can help with motion analysis. It is important to have a strong understanding of the principles and techniques involved in Easy motion before incorporating it into your research.

Back