Please, HELP ME indentify this equation

• Thread starter lgbarajas
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves a request for help understanding an equation involving gamma and virtual work. One person recognizes the equation from tensor calculus and suggests it relates to acceleration in curved spaces. They also mention finding a similar equation on Wikipedia. The equation can be found under the section on Fictitious Forces in Curvilinear Coordinates on the website provided.
lgbarajas
Cannot recognize the use or description of this equation... can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Ecuacion.png
    Ecuacion.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 546
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The gamma here is from tensor calculus. Everything outside the bracketed part reminds me of virtual work almost. It could be acceleration equals the sum of the virtual work in each k^th direction (plus some mixing up of the indices). Now, I haven't had enough tensor calculus to help you more; sorry.

I have a question though. Where did you find this equation? I have no context to work with here.

I thought about what I posted and then started searching for those key terms I talked about. I found the image on Wikipedia (the source of all knowledge) under the section on Fictitious Forces in Curvilinear Coordinates. It was the last equation given. I thought it was similar in form, so I posted it.

dbe726d8d53aa4fc458150c380535db4.png

There should be a bold face a in front of the equation. Wikipedia says this is for acceleration in curved spaces/manifolds.

The website is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanics_of_planar_particle_motion

Hope that helped!

Last edited:

Related to Please, HELP ME indentify this equation

1. What is the purpose of identifying an equation?

Identifying an equation is important for understanding its meaning and relevance in a scientific context. It allows for further analysis and application of the equation in various scenarios.

2. How do I identify an equation?

To identify an equation, you need to look at the variables and constants present, as well as the mathematical operations used. You can also try to match it with known equations or use mathematical software to analyze it.

3. Why is it important to correctly identify an equation?

Correctly identifying an equation ensures that you are using the right formula for your calculations and experiments. Using the wrong equation can lead to incorrect results and conclusions.

4. Can an equation have more than one interpretation?

Yes, an equation can have multiple interpretations depending on the context in which it is used. It is important to consider the variables and their units to determine the correct interpretation.

5. What are some common mistakes when identifying an equation?

Some common mistakes when identifying an equation include mistaking variables for constants, using the wrong mathematical operation, and forgetting to account for units. It is important to double check your work and seek help if you are unsure.