Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Please, help me understand how these interval problems are solved

1. Jun 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

simplify:

1. (-∞, -2) ∩ [-2, ∞)

2. (-∞, 5] ∩ [5, ∞)

3. (-∞, 5) U (4, ∞)

4. (-∞, 5) ∩ (3, ∞)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

It has been so long since I last saw a problem set like that. Honestly, I don't even remember how these problems should be solved. The text I am using just gives the definition and quickly glosses over since intervals are not the primary aim of it.
    Would someone be so kind as to explain how I should go about solving these problems. Many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The ∩ symbol means "intersect," which means the numbers that belong to both intervals. What numbers are less than -2 AND greater than or equal to -2?

Another approach is to draw the two intervals on the number line, to see which numbers are in both intervals.
    The U symbol means "union," which means the numbers that are in the first interval OR are in the second interval. A number belongs to the union of two intervals if it is in either or both intervals.

4. Jul 1, 2011 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

An open interval has its end point denoted by a round parenthesis: (

A closed interval has its end point denoted by a square bracket: [

Forgotten all this? Google is your best lead for on-line resources. Here's a start: http://www.sosmath.com/algebra/inequalities/ineq02/ineq02.html

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook