1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please, help me understand how these interval problems are solved

1. Jun 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

simplify:

1. (-∞, -2) ∩ [-2, ∞)

2. (-∞, 5] ∩ [5, ∞)

3. (-∞, 5) U (4, ∞)

4. (-∞, 5) ∩ (3, ∞)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

It has been so long since I last saw a problem set like that. Honestly, I don't even remember how these problems should be solved. The text I am using just gives the definition and quickly glosses over since intervals are not the primary aim of it.
    Would someone be so kind as to explain how I should go about solving these problems. Many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The ∩ symbol means "intersect," which means the numbers that belong to both intervals. What numbers are less than -2 AND greater than or equal to -2?

Another approach is to draw the two intervals on the number line, to see which numbers are in both intervals.
    The U symbol means "union," which means the numbers that are in the first interval OR are in the second interval. A number belongs to the union of two intervals if it is in either or both intervals.

4. Jul 1, 2011 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

An open interval has its end point denoted by a round parenthesis: (

A closed interval has its end point denoted by a square bracket: [

Forgotten all this? Google is your best lead for on-line resources. Here's a start: http://www.sosmath.com/algebra/inequalities/ineq02/ineq02.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook