1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help. Points of inflection and chain rule

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Skethch the greaph of x^3/(x^3+1). Identify all extrema and points of inflection, asymptote equations, and easily found intercepts

2. Relevant equations

If a/b=0, a must be 0.(thats how I got critical points from first derivative)
    And chain rule: F'(x) = f '(g(x)) g '(x)
    And so on.

3. The attempt at a solution

What I have to do is to find points of inflection, asymptotes, and critical points. And I took the first derivative using Quotient rule and got 3x^2/(x^3+1)^2
    I am going to take the second derivative of my original function to get ponts of inflection, but I am stuck.

As you can see, f'(x) = 3x^2/(x^3+1)^2
    And I pondered a bit for I think I need to use chain rule because of that (x^3+1)^2 in the denominator. But how should I use it? what about the numerator?
    I can't just use chain rule in the denominator, and use power rule in nominator on my own, right? I have a bad feeling about this.

This is what I will get if I apply power rule in nominator and apply chain rule in denominator:

6x/[2(x^3+1)(3x^2)] This is wrong, right? because I treated numerator and denominator by using different rules on each of them. Can you check this for me? What should I do in order to get the second derivative?
    Or can I just ignore the denominator and just take Quotient rule again to get derivative?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2009 #2
    Your second derivative doesn't look quite right.
    Since you're having trouble getting the second derivative, try doing it in steps, starting from f'(x) = 3x2/(x3 + 1)2
    Let g(x) = 3x2 and h(x) = (x3 + 1)2. Find g' and h' and then just plug everything into the right side of the quotient rule formula
    [tex]\left(\frac{g}{h}\right)' = \frac{h'g - gh'}{h^2}[/tex]
    and simplify.

4. Nov 12, 2009 #3
    Now I get it. I was quite chaotic when I first saw this problem. Thank you for your advice!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook