Please tell me how to read this e-book

• Thread starter Google_Spider
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help in reading an e-book they downloaded. The e-book, "Thinking in C++" Volume-1 by Bruce Eckel, is in HTML format and has been downloaded as a zip file. The person is unsure of how to read it and is expecting it to be a PDF. The experts then explain that the e-book should be opened using a web browser, and the person is able to successfully open it using Firefox.
Google_Spider
[SOLVED] Please tell me how to read this e-book

I want to read this e-book "Thinking in C++" Volume-1 by Bruce Eckel. It is a free download http://www.mindview.net/Books/DownloadSites/" [Broken]. I downloaded the zip file and when I extract it there are many-many folders inside but I don't know what to read. I was expecting it to be a pdf, but its not. If you have the time, please download it and tell me how do I read it. That would be great!

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What format is it in? What's the file extension?

Edit: I see. Those books are in HTML. Use your browser.

Its a zip and when I extract it, it gives birth to two zips...when I extract those two zips, it is giving birth to so many files...TIC2VOL3.gif, TIC3VOL3.gif..., revision history.txt... ..?? Where do I click to read it like a normal book ?

index.html ?
Or just click or anyone of the html files - it will have links to the table of contents or other chapters.

mgb_phys said:
Or just click or anyone of the html files...
Exactly.

Thanks everyone, I can open it with Firefox.

1. What is an e-book?

An e-book is an electronic version of a book that can be read on a computer, tablet, or e-reader device. It can contain text, images, and sometimes multimedia elements.

2. How do I access and open the e-book?

First, you will need to download an e-book reader app or software on your device. Then, you can either purchase or borrow the e-book from a reputable website or online store. Once downloaded, you can open the e-book in your e-reader app or software.

3. How can I navigate through the e-book?

Most e-books have a table of contents that you can use to jump to specific chapters or sections. You can also use the scroll bar or swipe on your device's touchscreen to navigate through the pages. Some e-books also have a search function that allows you to find specific words or phrases.

4. Can I customize the e-book's font or layout?

Yes, many e-readers allow you to adjust the font size, style, and spacing to your preference. You can also change the background color and adjust the brightness to make reading more comfortable.

5. Are there any special features in the e-book that I should know about?

Some e-books may have interactive elements such as hyperlinks, videos, or quizzes. They may also have a bookmark function that allows you to save your progress and come back to it later. Make sure to check the e-book's features and instructions before reading.