Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please tell me I made the right choice ;)

1. Sep 29, 2009 #1
    First of I'd like to introduce myself.

My name is Jeroen, I am HUGE fan of physic and science. It's frustrating with physics for me because I am very visual person everything is video or modeling in my head, and I have a very hard time converting back and forth so I hope you guys don't mine questions and typing, because I plan to do both of them. There are two aspects to life I absolutely cherish. Strength and Intelligence. I think both qualities are only relevant for one self (personal development and freedom) and to help others, so I hope I don't display arrogance or superiority in anyway, please feel free to slap me if I ever do because I detest it, but I am human as well and make mistakes. I am pretty set in improving myself as best I can, I just want to forewarn, I can see people taking that in negative light.

Now to the question.

I use to frequent a science board, which was a great place with awesome people. I have stopped going to that place because they were just far too loose with the rules. Pages and pages of theories (user-created) that were fallacious, showing incorrect or lacking proper reasoning, logic, or evidence When faced up to scrutiny it was often ignored. It just simply keeped going on and on, in circle, triangle, any closed loop system you want to call it.

I am all for open discussion, and for new ideas, and no one is perfect but I felt that if you continually allow such things specifically on science based sub-fora, you degrade and insult those who put effort into insuring that they are correctly presenting ideas and theories in the best possible manner. All those that try to help express the truth were basically wasting their time as well.

I think (my theory anyway) was that the staff felt that if they were strick that they would appear closed-minded. Which was odd because they were all or most were far smarter than I was, but you could clearly see that wasn't the case. So I am wonder, are you guys tough on that sort of thing? I hope so because I miss discussion physics and science in general. Usually people I know give me that face ( you know :| <--that one) whenever I talk about physics like it's the coolest thing ever (It is, they are crazy). PLEASE be the ones!!!!

I generally don't type essay so I apologize in advance, I know I could of probably summed that all up into 2 sentences. I thought back story might help get the idea across of what I am looking for.

p.s.

How to upload an avatar? I thought the profile picture was it, but duh, it's not...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

From https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

Overly Speculative Posts:
    One of the main goals of PF is to help students learn the current status of physics as practiced by the scientific community; accordingly, Physicsforums.com strives to maintain high standards of academic integrity. There are many open questions in physics, and we welcome discussion on those subjects provided the discussion remains intellectually sound. It is against our Posting Guidelines to discuss, in most of the PF forums or in blogs, new or non-mainstream theories or ideas that have not been published in professional peer-reviewed journals or are not part of current professional mainstream scientific discussion. Personal theories/Independent Research may be submitted to our Independent Research Forum, provided they meet our Independent Research Guidelines; Personal theories posted elsewhere will be deleted. Poorly formulated personal theories, unfounded challenges of mainstream science, and overt crackpottery will not be tolerated anywhere on the site. Linking to obviously "crank" or "crackpot" sites is prohibited.

This should answer your question..... :|. hehe.

4. Sep 29, 2009 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

In a word: yes.

You have come to the right place. Welcome.

5. Sep 29, 2009 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Welcome, Jeroen!

What sort of fish do you like?

6. Sep 29, 2009 #5
    Sweet :)

They had the same rules but you guys seem to put ot far more firmly, I'll look around some more but seems like it's true! It will make for a good birthday present.

Sorry if I trample on some rules right now, should know better, I'll read the rules before I post again. :)

:edit:

My favourite fish? That's a tough one...you mean species wise or...I dread to ask for cuisine?

7. Sep 29, 2009 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You might want to pick something on the small side...
    :biggrin:

8. Sep 29, 2009 #7
    I am scared now....I am going to say red-tailed shark...

I'd like to add I just read the rules and the list of debunked theories and stuff was something I suggested at the previous place. I am very impressed so far, Extremely professional. I feel like I am wearing muddy shoes in your house now. Hopefully I can live up to the standards. I love it though, weird fascination with proper organization. Even though personally I am mess alone.

9. Sep 29, 2009 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

A red-tail shark..

I think I'll have to wait for Evo&Moonbear to stomp by..:devil:

10. Sep 29, 2009 #9
    Feel free to post here, but just don't tell us that global warming is real - it's just a theory.

11. Sep 29, 2009 #10

Danger

Gold Member

:bugeye:
    I hope that you have good insurance.

12. Sep 29, 2009 #11

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I can tell you - no, you have not made the right choice.

13. Sep 29, 2009 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

eeYeow!!!

http://www.tropicalfishtanksonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/red_tailed_black_shark.jpg [Broken]
    Flee from its mighty sharkiness!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  14. Sep 29, 2009 #13

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

And I have already called for reinforcements!! :cry:

Virtuous, you wouldn't reconsider, and make an option for a..whale shark instead? :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  15. Sep 29, 2009 #14
    Well my first choice would be an Orca but I wasn't sure if that was classified as a fish.

I would consider anything that doesn't [STRIKE]land[/STRIKE] drown me in trouble.

16. Sep 29, 2009 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Virtuous, I think you're going to really like it here....now, come a bit closer....

<lisab picks up a red-tailed shark that happened to swim by a bit too close....>

**SCHWACK***

Ah...now you've been properly initiated :smile:. Welcome to PF!

17. Sep 29, 2009 #16
    Thanks! You guys seem so relaxed and laid back. It's half comforting / half eerie.

Thanks for the schwack as well...did you do that with a fish? I am confused by this general fish stuff.

18. Sep 29, 2009 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lol, yes I did it with the shark. Can I get you a bag of ice for that bruise?

19. Sep 29, 2009 #18
    She's tough - but compassionate.:rolleyes:

20. Sep 29, 2009 #19
    I'll be alright I am sure. Now I get it. Nicely done. Thank-you for too those who suggest a small fish. I don't think I would of survived the Orca.

I see I have to be sharp around here.

21. Sep 29, 2009 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since lisab has properly initiated you already, welcome to PF! Yes, you have DEFINITELY come to the right place. *hands Virtuous an ice pack* At least lisab used a freshly caught shark, and not frozen fish; she must really like you. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook