Please tell me I made the right choice ;)

• Thread starter Virtuous
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Choice
In summary, Jeroen introduces himself as a huge fan of physics and science but struggles with converting visual concepts into words. He expresses his frustration with a science board he used to frequent, where loose rules allowed for fallacious theories to dominate discussions. Jeroen hopes that this forum will have stricter rules and a higher standard of academic integrity. He also asks about uploading an avatar and reveals his love for red-tail sharks. The conversation then turns to the forum's rules and debunked theories, with some playful banter about fish choices. In summary, this forum has strict rules and a professional atmosphere that Jeroen admires.
Virtuous
First of I'd like to introduce myself.

My name is Jeroen, I am HUGE fan of physics and science. It's frustrating with physics for me because I am very visual person everything is video or modeling in my head, and I have a very hard time converting back and forth so I hope you guys don't mine questions and typing, because I plan to do both of them. There are two aspects to life I absolutely cherish. Strength and Intelligence. I think both qualities are only relevant for one self (personal development and freedom) and to help others, so I hope I don't display arrogance or superiority in anyway, please feel free to slap me if I ever do because I detest it, but I am human as well and make mistakes. I am pretty set in improving myself as best I can, I just want to forewarn, I can see people taking that in negative light.

Now to the question.

I use to frequent a science board, which was a great place with awesome people. I have stopped going to that place because they were just far too loose with the rules. Pages and pages of theories (user-created) that were fallacious, showing incorrect or lacking proper reasoning, logic, or evidence When faced up to scrutiny it was often ignored. It just simply keeped going on and on, in circle, triangle, any closed loop system you want to call it.

I am all for open discussion, and for new ideas, and no one is perfect but I felt that if you continually allow such things specifically on science based sub-fora, you degrade and insult those who put effort into insuring that they are correctly presenting ideas and theories in the best possible manner. All those that try to help express the truth were basically wasting their time as well.

I think (my theory anyway) was that the staff felt that if they were strick that they would appear closed-minded. Which was odd because they were all or most were far smarter than I was, but you could clearly see that wasn't the case. So I am wonder, are you guys tough on that sort of thing? I hope so because I miss discussion physics and science in general. Usually people I know give me that face ( you know :| <--that one) whenever I talk about physics like it's the coolest thing ever (It is, they are crazy). PLEASE be the ones!

I generally don't type essay so I apologize in advance, I know I could of probably summed that all up into 2 sentences. I thought back story might help get the idea across of what I am looking for.

p.s.

How to upload an avatar? I thought the profile picture was it, but duh, it's not...

Physics news on Phys.org
From https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

Overly Speculative Posts:
One of the main goals of PF is to help students learn the current status of physics as practiced by the scientific community; accordingly, Physicsforums.com strives to maintain high standards of academic integrity. There are many open questions in physics, and we welcome discussion on those subjects provided the discussion remains intellectually sound. It is against our Posting Guidelines to discuss, in most of the PF forums or in blogs, new or non-mainstream theories or ideas that have not been published in professional peer-reviewed journals or are not part of current professional mainstream scientific discussion. Personal theories/Independent Research may be submitted to our Independent Research Forum, provided they meet our Independent Research Guidelines; Personal theories posted elsewhere will be deleted. Poorly formulated personal theories, unfounded challenges of mainstream science, and overt crackpottery will not be tolerated anywhere on the site. Linking to obviously "crank" or "crackpot" sites is prohibited.

This should answer your question... :|. hehe.

Virtuous said:
So I am wonder, are you guys tough on that sort of thing?
In a word: yes.

Virtuous said:
I hope so because I miss discussion physics and science in general. Usually people I know give me that face ( you know :| <--that one) whenever I talk about physics like it's the coolest thing ever (It is, they are crazy). PLEASE be the ones!
You have come to the right place. Welcome.

Welcome, Jeroen!

What sort of fish do you like?

Sweet :)

They had the same rules but you guys seem to put ot far more firmly, I'll look around some more but seems like it's true! It will make for a good birthday present.

Sorry if I trample on some rules right now, should know better, I'll read the rules before I post again. :)

:edit:

My favourite fish? That's a tough one...you mean species wise or...I dread to ask for cuisine?

Virtuous said:
My favourite fish? That's a tough one...you mean species wise or...I dread to ask for cuisine?
You might want to pick something on the small side...
:biggrin:

I am scared now...I am going to say red-tailed shark...

I'd like to add I just read the rules and the list of debunked theories and stuff was something I suggested at the previous place. I am very impressed so far, Extremely professional. I feel like I am wearing muddy shoes in your house now. Hopefully I can live up to the standards. I love it though, weird fascination with proper organization. Even though personally I am mess alone.

A red-tail shark..

I think I'll have to wait for Evo&Moonbear to stomp by..:devil:

Feel free to post here, but just don't tell us that global warming is real - it's just a theory.

Virtuous said:
I am going to say red-tailed shark...

:bugeye:
I hope that you have good insurance.

Virtuous said:
I am going to say red-tailed shark...

I can tell you - no, you have not made the right choice.

Borek said:
Virtuous said:
...I am going to say red-tailed shark...

I can tell you - no, you have not made the right choice.

eeYeow!

http://www.tropicalfishtanksonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/red_tailed_black_shark.jpg
Flee from its mighty sharkiness!

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
eeYeow!

http://www.tropicalfishtanksonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/red_tailed_black_shark.jpg
Flee from its mighty sharkiness!

And I have already called for reinforcements! :cry:

Virtuous, you wouldn't reconsider, and make an option for a..whale shark instead? :smile:

Well my first choice would be an Orca but I wasn't sure if that was classified as a fish.

I would consider anything that doesn't [STRIKE]land[/STRIKE] drown me in trouble.

Virtuous, I think you're going to really like it here...now, come a bit closer...

<lisab picks up a red-tailed shark that happened to swim by a bit too close...>

**SCHWACK***

Ah...now you've been properly initiated :smile:. Welcome to PF!

Thanks! You guys seem so relaxed and laid back. It's half comforting / half eerie.

Thanks for the schwack as well...did you do that with a fish? I am confused by this general fish stuff.

Virtuous said:
Thanks! You guys seem so relaxed and laid back. It's half comforting / half eerie.

Thanks for the schwack as well...did you do that with a fish? I am confused by this general fish stuff.

Lol, yes I did it with the shark. Can I get you a bag of ice for that bruise?

lisab said:

She's tough - but compassionate.:rolleyes:

I'll be alright I am sure. Now I get it. Nicely done. Thank-you for too those who suggest a small fish. I don't think I would of survived the Orca.

I see I have to be sharp around here.

Since lisab has properly initiated you already, welcome to PF! Yes, you have DEFINITELY come to the right place. *hands Virtuous an ice pack* At least lisab used a freshly caught shark, and not frozen fish; she must really like you. :biggrin:

^_^ joy, one day and I am hit by a fish and someone really likes me.

I've noticed that I can't place an avatar. I looked around and I see generally that PF contributors have them. So I assumed it was a special privilege. Then I saw someone with an avatar, who does not.

What is secret behind it? I'll be someones pet to acquire one.

Virtuous said:
...I am confused by this general fish stuff.

:rofl: wait till GO1 arrives with his truck full of [STRIKE]frozen[/STRIKE] fresh fish :biggrin:

welcome to PF :smile:

I don't want to muck up that page although, it should probably go there.

What if I presented you guys with a better flyer to use?

No offense but...If I take my time, I can make pretty professional looking one.

I can even make you your own symbol.

I know I am new but...how bout this...I present you with a flyer, if you like it just let me have an avatar? I can take rejection so, unless you are completely wow'd you can deny me and hit me with another fish, maybe tuna?

http://claimora.comxa.com/

Don't judge the actual website because that's just me playing with flash, since it's been over like 10 years...I was never really good to begin with, but the sword I made from scratch, all the graphics. Most of it was done in less than 15 mins.;)

I'll keep it to same graphical colour theme and everything. just let me know and I will give it a shot. I just don't do website design well, Graphics I am half decent.

Virtuous said:
What if I presented you guys with a better flyer to use?

No offense but...If I take my time, I can make pretty professional looking one.

Ask Greg, he is the boss.

Virtuous said:
Then I saw someone with an avatar, who does not.

What is secret behind it? I'll be someones pet to acquire one.

Memberships expire and I think that if you have an avatar up when it expires you keep it but can't change it (though you can probably take it down).

People who have been homework helpers and such may also get to have avatars, I'm not sure about any particular exceptions.

And welcome to PF.
Please do not feed the inmates.

lisab said:

Good that you found one swimming around, :smile: it used to be extinct in 2002.

http://www.aqualog.de/news/web55/55-1e.pdf
http://www.aqualog.de/news/web55/55-2e.pdf

1. What factors should I consider when making a decision?

When making a decision, it is important to consider your values, goals, and priorities. You should also weigh the potential consequences and outcomes of each choice.

2. How do I know if I made the right choice?

The concept of a "right" choice is subjective and can vary based on individual perspectives. However, if your decision aligns with your values and brings you closer to your goals, it is likely a good choice for you.

3. What if I regret my decision afterwards?

Regret is a common emotion after making a decision, but it does not necessarily mean you made the wrong choice. It is important to reflect on why you may be feeling regret and determine if it is due to external factors or if it was truly a bad decision. If it is the latter, learn from it and make a different decision next time.

4. Can someone else tell me if I made the right choice?

Ultimately, the decision is yours to make and only you can determine if it was the right choice for you. However, seeking advice and perspectives from trusted individuals can be helpful in the decision-making process.

5. How do I move forward if I made the wrong choice?

If you realize that you made the wrong choice, it is important to take responsibility for it and learn from it. Make amends if necessary and use the experience to make better decisions in the future.