Plotting T vs M for Hookes Law: Find k

In summary, the conversation is about the equation for Hooke's law and how to plot for the value of k. The equation for Hooke's law is T = kx/l and to plot for k, one can plot T vs M and the gradient will be equal to k. The equation for time period is T = 2(pi)sqrt[m/k] and plotting T^2 vs M will give the value of [k/2(pi)]^2. The conversation also touches on rearranging Hooke's law into the form of a straight line, with m representing the gradient.
sauri
In the equation for Hookes law what values do I consider if I was to plot for the value of k?. Would plotting T vs M give me this and would the gradient be equal to k?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation for time period?
T = 2(pi) sqrt[m/k]
Plotting the graph of M vs T^2 vs M i.e. T^2 on x-axis will give you the value of [k/2(pi)]^2

hellraiser said:
What is the equation for time period?
T = 2(pi) sqrt[m/k]
Plotting the graph of M vs T^2 vs M i.e. T^2 on x-axis will give you the value of [k/2(pi)]^2

I believe Hooke's law is
[tex]T = \frac{kx}{l}[/tex]
Hellraiser has given the equation for SHM of a Spring-mass system.

Sauri:
Think of the equation of a straight line:
[tex]y = mx + c [/tex]
Where m is the gradient, try to rearrange hooke's law into that form.

I thought T was the time period. Didn't realize it was the Tension thing. I prefer the F(orce) symbol. :)

thank you for your help

Related to Plotting T vs M for Hookes Law: Find k

1. What is Hookes Law?

Hookes Law is a principle in physics that states the force needed to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is extended or compressed.

2. What is the purpose of plotting T vs M for Hookes Law?

The purpose of plotting T (tension) vs M (mass) for Hookes Law is to determine the spring constant, k, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. This can then be used to predict the behavior of the spring when different forces are applied.

3. How do you plot T vs M for Hookes Law?

To plot T vs M for Hookes Law, you will need to measure the tension (T) in the spring for different masses (M) attached to the spring. Then, plot T on the y-axis and M on the x-axis. The resulting graph should be a straight line, and the slope of the line will give you the value of k.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the plotted graph?

The accuracy of the plotted graph can be affected by factors such as human error in measuring the tension and masses, variations in the spring's stiffness, and external factors like air resistance.

5. Why is it important to find the value of k in Hookes Law?

Finding the value of k in Hookes Law is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of springs in different situations. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and materials science, where springs are commonly used in various designs and structures.