Plotting the radial wave function of Deuteron in a finite well

In summary: After plotting, you can evaluate ##u(r)## again to compare against your original assumptions.In summary, the code generated a plot of the unnormalized wavefunction at three different values of ##r##. The wavefunction and its derivative were evaluated at ##r=R## to ensure continuity. Then the plot was generated.
TopologyisGeometry
Homework Statement
Plot the wave function ##u(r)## as a function of ##r## from 0 to 10 fm. Since ##u##is not normalized, you won't need units on the y axis.
Relevant Equations
$$\frac{-\hbar^2}{2\mu}\frac{d^2u(r)}{dr^2}+V(r)u(r) = Eu(r)$$ Where $$V(r) = \begin{cases}-V_0 \quad r<R\\ 0\quad r>R\end{cases}$$ Which has the solutions previously found to be

$$u(r)=\begin{cases}A\sin(kr)\quad r<R\\ De^{-\kappa r}\qquad r>R\end{cases}$$
To plot ##u(r)## we need to find the solutions for each region. Which is in the relevant equations part. Now, I have to do this numerically. Using python 3.7 I made an ##u## which is filled with zeros and a for loop with if/elseif statement, basically telling it to plot values for whenever ##r<R## and ##r>R##. Here is the plot generated by my simple code

1584374866735.png

Due to continuity at $r=R$ they need to have the same value. Which makes me believe that this is a root finding problem, basically ##A\sin(kr)-De^{-\kappa r}=0## Now I don't know how to implement this onto my code, at first I thought make another elif statement for when ##r==R## to use the roots as the values, how would I go on about this problem? Have I forgotten something?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have some prepping to do that it is better done with pencil and paper, not code. At ##r=R##, the wavefunction and its derivative must be continuous. This will give you a relation between ##k## and ##\kappa## which you will have to solve numerically (the root finding part) to find ##k## and ##\kappa## for an assumed numerical value of ##V_0.## Then you can write the unnormalized wavefunction in terms of ##A## or ##D## and plot.

kuruman said:
You have some prepping to do that it is better done with pencil and paper, not code. At ##r=R##, the wavefunction and its derivative must be continuous. This will give you a relation between ##k## and ##\kappa## which you will have to solve numerically (the root finding part) to find ##k## and ##\kappa## for an assumed numerical value of ##V_0.## Then you can write the unnormalized wavefunction in terms of ##A## or ##D## and plot.
I found that ##k\cot{kr} = -\kappa## which comes from the fact that we claim ##u(r)## to be continuous everywhere and it's derivate too, then I just divided to get rid of the coefficients, where ##k^2=2\mu(E+V0)/\hbar^2## and ##\kappa^2=2\mu E/\hbar^2## if that's what you're asking ##V0=35MeV## and I found that ##E=-2.223 MeV## This should be everything to plot this right?

Before plotting, I would evaluate ##u(r)## and its derivative at ##r=R## to make sure that I did not make any mistakes. Also, if you are not going to normalize ##u(r)##, be sure to use one of the continuity equations in order to write ##u(r)## in terms of single constant, ##A## or ##D##.

1. What is a radial wave function?

A radial wave function is a mathematical function that describes the probability of finding a particle at a certain distance from the center of an atom or nucleus. It is used to model the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.

2. What is a Deuteron?

A Deuteron is a type of atomic nucleus that contains one proton and one neutron. It is the nucleus of a deuterium atom, which is a heavy isotope of hydrogen.

3. What is a finite well?

A finite well is a potential energy barrier that confines a particle to a certain region in space. In the context of the Deuteron, it represents the attractive force between the proton and neutron that keeps them bound together.

4. How is the radial wave function of Deuteron in a finite well plotted?

The radial wave function of Deuteron in a finite well is plotted by using mathematical equations and numerical methods to calculate the probability of finding the Deuteron at different distances from the center of the well. This data is then plotted on a graph to show the shape of the wave function.

5. What information can be obtained from plotting the radial wave function of Deuteron in a finite well?

The plot of the radial wave function can provide information about the energy levels and stability of the Deuteron, as well as the probability of finding the Deuteron at different distances from the center of the well. It can also be used to calculate other properties of the Deuteron, such as its size and shape.