Solved Poincaré Conjecture: Find Perelman's Proof Here

In summary, the conversation was about the Poincaré conjecture and how the links to Perelman's original proof were not working. Someone asked for them to be fixed and another person made a comment about not being able to understand it. The links were eventually fixed and the recommendation was made to read them and appreciate their beauty.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's not like you'll understand it or anything :>>>

tgt said:

I know that. I want to read it to see what classes I should take in order to understand it.

tgt said:

that's mighty presumptuous

okay I fixed them

masnevets said:
okay I fixed them

Yay! I would recommend that everyone interested in math or theoretical physics read them and marvel at how beautiful they are.

Last edited:

1. What is the Poincaré Conjecture?

The Poincaré Conjecture is a famous mathematical problem proposed by Henri Poincaré in 1904. It states that every simply-connected, closed three-dimensional manifold is homeomorphic to a three-dimensional sphere.

2. Who solved the Poincaré Conjecture?

In 2002, Russian mathematician Grigori Perelman claimed to have a proof for the Poincaré Conjecture, and in 2006, he published his proof online. He declined to accept any awards or prizes for his work and refused to publish his proof in a traditional journal.

3. What is Perelman's proof for the Poincaré Conjecture?

Perelman's proof for the Poincaré Conjecture is based on Ricci flow, a geometric process that deforms the shape of a three-dimensional space over time. He showed that by using this process, any three-dimensional manifold can be transformed into a sphere, proving the conjecture.

4. Why is the Poincaré Conjecture important?

The Poincaré Conjecture is important because it is a fundamental problem in topology, which is the study of properties of geometric objects that are preserved through continuous deformations. Its proof has also led to advancements in other fields of mathematics and has opened up new avenues for research.

5. Has the Poincaré Conjecture been officially recognized as solved?

Yes, in 2010, the Clay Mathematics Institute officially recognized Perelman's proof as a valid solution to the Poincaré Conjecture and awarded him the Millennium Prize, one of the most prestigious awards in mathematics. Perelman declined the prize, stating that he was not motivated by fame or money.