Points that a curve's normal line intersects

In summary, the question is asking for the point where the line that is normal to the curve x2+2xy-3y2=0 at (5,5) intersects the curve. The solution involves factoring the equation and analyzing the graph to find the point of intersection. The hint given is to notice that the equation factors and to consider the graph. The student eventually realizes their mistake and expresses gratitude for the help.
dustbin

Homework Statement

The line that is normal to the curve x2+2xy-3y2=0 at (5,5) intersects the curve at what other point?

2. The attempt at a solution

I differentiated the equation, found the slope of the curve at that point, and I then found the equations for the tangent line and normal line. I'm not really sure where to approach from here... any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
dustbin said:

Homework Statement

The line that is normal to the curve x2+2xy-3y2=0 at (5,5) intersects the curve at what other point?

2. The attempt at a solution

I differentiated the equation, found the slope of the curve at that point, and I then found the equations for the tangent line and normal line. I'm not really sure where to approach from here... any hints?

Have you noticed that ##x^2+2xy-3y^2\ ##factors? What does its graph look like? Finding where that normal line hits it again won't seem so difficult.

D'oh! I was looking way too hard. I can't believe I missed that.

Thanks for you time! I greatly appreciate it.

1. What is a normal line?

A normal line is a line that is perpendicular to a curve at a specific point. It represents the instantaneous slope of the curve at that point.

2. What are points of intersection?

Points of intersection are points where two lines, curves, or shapes intersect or cross each other. In the context of a normal line, points of intersection refer to the points where the normal line intersects with the curve.

3. How are the points that a curve's normal line intersects calculated?

The points that a curve's normal line intersects are calculated using calculus. Specifically, the derivative of the curve at a given point is used to find the slope of the normal line, and then this slope is used to find the equation of the normal line. The intersection points are then found by solving the equations of the curve and the normal line simultaneously.

4. Why is the normal line important in calculus?

The normal line is important in calculus because it helps us understand the behavior of a curve at a specific point. By finding the slope of the normal line, we can determine whether the curve is increasing or decreasing at that point, and by finding the equation of the normal line, we can calculate the rate of change of the curve at that point.

5. Can the normal line intersect the curve at more than two points?

No, the normal line can only intersect the curve at a maximum of two points. This is because the normal line is always perpendicular to the curve, and two perpendicular lines can only intersect at one point. If the normal line intersects the curve at more than two points, it would no longer be perpendicular to the curve at those points.