Poisson and binomial distributions, corrupted characters in a file

In summary, a text file with 1000 characters has a probability of 0.001 for each character to be corrupted when sent by email from one machine to another. Using a Poisson random variable, the probability of the file being transferred with no errors is e^-0.001, which is approximately 0.999. However, when modelling the number of errors as a binomial random variable, the probability of no errors is 0.3676. This is because the Poisson distribution approximates the binomial distribution when the number of trials (in this case, the number of characters) is large and the probability of success (in this case, the probability of a character being corrupted) is small.
Kate2010
A text file contains 1000 characters. When the file is sent by email from one machine to another, each character (independent of other characters) has probability 0.001 of being corrupted. Use a poisson random variable to estimate the probability that the file is transferred with no errors. Compare this to the answer you get when modelling the number of errors as a binomial random variable.

Poisson:
Let x be the number of corrupted characters.
E(X) = 0.001 = a
P(X=n) = (0.001^n)(e^-0.001)/(n!)
P(X=0) = e^-0.001

Binomial:
np = 1000 x 0.001 = 1
When I approximate using poisson but with np instead I get e^-1 which is about 0.37.

This doesn't seem right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us your calculation of P(X = 0) for the binomial case.

I used poisson but approximated lambda as np, so ((np)^k)(e^-np)/k! where np = 1000x0.001 = 1 and k = 0, so we get (1^0)(e^-1)/0! = e^-1.

I don't know how I could use the proper binomial random variable.

I believe you are supposed to assume that X is a binomial r.v., where the probability for a given character being in error is .001. You want P(X=0). See this Wikipedia page for more information.

Thanks, when I do it that way I get (1000 choose 0)(0.001^0)(1-0.001)^1000 = 0.3676...
So, is it when I have calculated my poisson RV that I've gone wrong and I should have done this as I was previously trying to approximate binomial?

Actually, have just read up some more on Poisson distributions and I know where I've gone wrong. Thanks for all your help!

1. What is a Poisson distribution?

A Poisson distribution is a probability distribution that is used to model the number of events that occur in a fixed interval of time or space. It is characterized by a single parameter, lambda (λ), which represents the average number of events that occur in the interval.

2. What is a binomial distribution?

A binomial distribution is a probability distribution that is used to model the number of successes in a fixed number of trials. It is characterized by two parameters, n and p, where n is the number of trials and p is the probability of success in each trial.

3. How are Poisson and binomial distributions related?

Poisson and binomial distributions are related in that a binomial distribution can be approximated by a Poisson distribution when the number of trials is very large and the probability of success is very small. This is known as the Poisson approximation to the binomial distribution.

4. What is a corrupted character in a file?

A corrupted character in a file is a character that has been altered or damaged due to errors in the data transmission or storage process. This can result in the character being unreadable or appearing as a different character than intended.

5. How can corrupted characters in a file be fixed?

In order to fix corrupted characters in a file, the file must be repaired using specialized software or by manually identifying and replacing the corrupted characters. In some cases, the file may need to be re-downloaded or re-saved if the corruption is too severe. It is important to regularly back up files to prevent data loss due to corrupted characters.