Poisson distribution regarding expected distance

In summary: In other words, if we have a grid of points and we want to know the distance to the diseased tree at the center of the grid, we would want to ask for the distance to the point at the center of the grid, not the distance to the diseased tree.
Nick Jarvis
Hi

The question is about diseased trees in an area (Poisson process), and states that λ = 15 diseased trees in a km square. I need to calculate expected distance from a point in the square to a diseased tree.

Now I thought that this means that P(diseased tree = 0) ~ Po(15) = 3.059 x 10^-7

Or do I calculate this as 1/15 which is P(distance = 0) ~ Po(1/15) = 0.936, then (1 - 0.936) gives me the expected distance??

This is a question that I know should be so straightforward.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
The Poisson process assigns a mean ## \lambda=Np ## to the process. In this case, we can select ## \lambda =15 ## if we want to work with an area of 1 km^2 and write the probability we find ## k ## diseased trees in that 1 km^2 area is ## P(k ) =e^{-\lambda} \lambda^k/k! ##.(The mean ## \bar{k} ## for this distribution is ## \bar{k}=\lambda ##). If we want to work with A=2 km^2, then ## \lambda ## is equal to 30. (## N ## is proportional to the selected area).## \\ ## If we want to work with an area such that we have a mean equal to 1 diseased tree, that means ## A_{single}=1/15 \, km^2 ## and ## \lambda =1 ## for this case. I believe a correct answer for the mean radius ## r_{single} ## to have one diseased tree would be ## A_{single}=\pi r_{single}^2 ##. There are probably more complicated ways of computing this that might be equally correct, but this is how I would solve it.

Last edited:
Likes Nick Jarvis and StoneTemplePython
Charles Link said:
The Poisson process assigns a mean ## \lambda=Np ## to the process. In this case, we can select ## \lambda =15 ## if we want to work with an area of 1 km^2 and write the probability we find ## k ## diseased trees in that 1 km^2 area is ## P(k ) =e^{-\lambda} \lambda^k/k! ##.(The mean ## \bar{k} ## for this distribution is ## \bar{k}=\lambda ##). If we want to work with A=2 km^2, then ## \lambda ## is equal to 30. (## N ## is proportional to the selected area).## \\ ## If we want to work with an area such that we have a mean equal to 1 diseased tree, that means ## A_{single}=1/15 \, km^2 ## and ## \lambda =1 ## for this case. I believe a correct answer for the mean radius ## r_{single} ## to have one diseased tree would be ## A_{single}=\pi r_{single}^2 ##. There are probably more complicated ways of computing this that might be equally correct, but this is how I would solve it.

I think this is basically right. I had a half typed response when you posted, with a much more complicated response asking for a first moment and second moment, which leads to variance, then square root that to get standard deviation which should be an upper bound on the distance (which I presume is standard Euclidean) and then...
- - - -
But as you point out, it's a lot simpler. The goal is find expected distance till next tree -- call it ##r##. Area of the associated circle is ##\pi r^2##.

##k * AreaOfThatCircle =## Expected Trees In Our Big Square.

- - - -
Poisson processes are memoryless, which makes them a lot easier to think about... memorylessness allows us to 'chop up' the circles, use fractional portions, and re-arrange the pieces up to any level of precision, such there is ultimately no 'dead space' left when we tile our square with them (or I suppose I should say that the 'dead space' gets arbitrarily close to zero).

This is quite different than when, say, you put golf balls in a box (in ##\mathbb R^3##) or look at the maximal number of balls on a billiards table (##\mathbb R^2##). Hence ##k## is the amount of circles that fit in that square, inclusive of our ability to chop them up however we want, and use less than whole portions. So it becomes a geometry problem of making sure the "surface areas" match, and if we know the first moment, i.e. expected number of trees in our square, we can solve for ##r##.
- - - -
For what it's worth, I think we can justify the above entirely with linearity of expectations and memorylessness of Poisson processes. However, I can't quite shake the feeling that using Wald's Equality makes it cleaner.
- - - -
edit:

one technical nit: the OP asks of distance from a point to a diseased tree. This could be interpreted as meaning the minimal distance, on average, from a point to a diseased tree (i.e. a nearest neighbor). It could also be interpreted in terms of averaging the distance to all diseased trees, from that point. I think the question is how far is the nearest neighbor on average, but strictly speaking the language is too loose to tell. (In a manner similar to the Inspection Paradox, the answer depends quite a bit on what you exactly want to calculate.) There are even more subtleties than usual here since we're dealing in higher dimensions than 1-d.

Last edited:
Likes Nick Jarvis and Charles Link
Apologies for the lateness. Many thanks for your replies. May need to speak to tutor as we have not covered area at all!

Cheers

Likes Charles Link
Nick Jarvis said:
Apologies for the lateness. Many thanks for your replies. May need to speak to tutor as we have not covered area at all!

Cheers
No problemif you missed less than 1/15th around a tree, not likely any trees in there ##Km^2 ## ;).

1. What is the Poisson distribution?

The Poisson distribution is a probability distribution that is used to model the number of events that occur in a fixed interval of time or space. It is often used in situations where the events occur independently and at a constant rate.

2. How is the expected distance calculated in a Poisson distribution?

The expected distance in a Poisson distribution is calculated by multiplying the mean or average number of events by the distance between each event. This gives an estimate of the total distance that would be covered by the events within a given time or space.

3. What is the significance of the expected distance in a Poisson distribution?

The expected distance in a Poisson distribution is important because it helps to understand the overall pattern and distribution of events. It can also be used to make predictions about the likelihood of certain events occurring within a given distance.

4. How does the expected distance change with different values of the mean in a Poisson distribution?

The expected distance in a Poisson distribution is directly proportional to the mean. This means that as the mean increases, the expected distance also increases. Similarly, as the mean decreases, the expected distance decreases.

5. Can the expected distance be greater than the mean in a Poisson distribution?

Yes, the expected distance can be greater than the mean in a Poisson distribution. This can occur when there are a relatively small number of events occurring at a large distance from each other, resulting in a larger expected distance than the mean.