Understanding Poisson's Equation: General Forms

• Thread starter OllyRutts
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the general form of Poisson's equation and whether or not there is a specific form that can be considered the "general" one. The speaker also mentions their preference for using ## \varepsilon=\varepsilon_r\varepsilon_0## instead of ##\varepsilon\varepsilon_0## and asks about the origin of the ##f## in the first expression. The other speaker clarifies that there is no specific trademarked general form and that any form can be considered appropriate. They also give a tip for using ##\LaTeX## code and subscripts to distinguish factors.
OllyRutts
I am having trouble determining what the general form of Poisson's equation would be between

upload_2017-11-22_13-10-41.png

and

upload_2017-11-22_13-12-50.png

Can they both be called the general form?

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-22_13-10-41.png
    upload_2017-11-22_13-10-41.png
    462 bytes · Views: 878
  • upload_2017-11-22_13-10-59.png
    upload_2017-11-22_13-10-59.png
    462 bytes · Views: 537
  • upload_2017-11-22_13-12-50.png
    upload_2017-11-22_13-12-50.png
    411 bytes · Views: 918
Physics news on Phys.org
The 'general form' has not been trademarked or anything. One could equally well claim that ##\ \Delta\phi = f \ ## is the general form.

I do wonder where you got this form from: I find ##\varepsilon\varepsilon_0## very ugly (I am used to ## \varepsilon=\varepsilon_r\varepsilon_0## ) and I don't know where the ##f## in your first expression comes from.

BvU said:
The 'general form' has not been trademarked or anything. One could equally well claim that ##\ \Delta\phi = f \ ## is the general form.

I do wonder where you got this form from: I find ##\varepsilon\varepsilon_0## very ugly (I am used to ## \varepsilon=\varepsilon_r\varepsilon_0## ) and I don't know where the ##f## in your first expression comes from.

I should have said this relates to a LIH dielectric material
pf is the free charge density
I guess the textbook I am using is using for gauss's law in terms of D=\varepsilon\varepsilon_0E

So any is appropriate for the general form?

I should say so, yes.

tip: use ## [ ...##\TeX ## code ] ## as ##\LaTeX## delimiters to get ##{\bf D} =\varepsilon\varepsilon_0 {\bf E} ##

and use subscripts to distinguish factors from, well, subscripts.

Thanks much appreciated.

1. What is Poisson's equation?

Poisson's equation is a mathematical equation that describes the distribution of electrical potential in a given area. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model various phenomena, such as electrostatics and heat transfer.

2. What are the general forms of Poisson's equation?

There are two general forms of Poisson's equation: the differential form and the integral form. The differential form is written as ∇²V = ρ/ε₀, where ∇² is the Laplace operator, V is the electrical potential, ρ is the charge density, and ε₀ is the permittivity of free space. The integral form is written as ∫∫∫ ρ/ε₀ dV = ∫∫∫ ∇²V dV, where the integrals are taken over the volume of interest.

3. How is Poisson's equation related to Laplace's equation?

Laplace's equation is a special case of Poisson's equation, where the charge density ρ is equal to zero. This means that Laplace's equation describes the distribution of electrical potential in a given area in the absence of any charges.

4. What are the applications of Poisson's equation?

Poisson's equation has many applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in electrostatics, where it describes the distribution of electrical potential in conductors and insulators. It is also used in heat transfer to model the distribution of temperature in materials. Additionally, Poisson's equation has applications in fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

5. How is Poisson's equation solved?

Poisson's equation can be solved analytically or numerically. Analytical solutions involve using mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables or the method of images, to find an exact solution. Numerical solutions involve using computational methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods, to approximate the solution. The choice of solution method depends on the complexity and boundary conditions of the problem.