1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar area and series problems

1. Apr 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. Given equations of circles: x^2 + y^2=2 and (x-1)^2 + y^2=1. The graphs intersect at the points (1,1) and (1,-1). Let R be the shaded region in the first quadrant bounded by the two circles and the x-axis.
    (a). Set up an expression involving one or more integrals with respect to x that represents the area of R
    (b). Set up an expression involving one or more integrals with respect to y that represents the area of R.
    (c). The polar equations of the circles are r=sqrt(2) and r=2cos(theta), respectively. Set up an expression involving one or more integrals with respect to the polar angle theta that represents the area of R.

2.The function f has a Taylor series about x=2 that converges to f(x) for all x in the interval of convergence. The nth derivative of f at x=2 is given f(n) (2)= (n+1)!/3^n for n=>1 and f(2)= 1.

a. Find the interval of convergence for the Taylor series for f about x=2.
    b. Ket g be a function satisfying g(2) =3 and g'(x)=f(x) for all x. Write the first four terms and the general term of the Taylor series for g about x=2.
    c. Does the Taylor series for g as defined in part (b) converge at x=-2 ?

2. Relevant equations

A= 1/2 integral(r^2, dtheta)

3. The attempt at a solution
    a. here is what I got: A= integral ( sqrt(2-x^2) - sqrt(1-(x-1)^2) dx) from 0 to sqrt(2). Am I right ?

b. I got A= integral ( sqrt(2-y^2) - sqrt(1-y^2)-1 dy) from 0 to 1. Am I right ?

c. I got A = 0.5 * integral ( 2-4*cos^2(theta) dtheta) from -3pi/4 to pi/4. Can you guy check for me ??

a. I got the taylor series as 1+(2/3)x+(1/3)x^2+(4/)x^3 +...+ (n+1)!*x^n/3^n.

Using limit test I get -3<x<3 as the radius of convergence.

At x=3 I get the series as the sum of (n+1)!, is it a diverge series ?

b. How should I do this ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2009 #2
    Did I do the first question right ?

Also, for part b of question 2, do I just use normal Taylor series formula for that or do I have to do another way ?

4. Apr 5, 2009 #3
    For 2c, I found the first four term of the series as: 3+x+x^2/3+x^3/24. Thus, what should be the general term ?

Do you guys think my general term for part a is right ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook