1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar coordinates: e_r and e_theta

1. Mar 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]

Let e_r=(cos[tex]\theta[/tex],sin[tex]\theta[/tex]) and e_theta=(-sin[tex]\theta[/tex],cos[tex]\theta[/tex]).
    Let P(r,[tex]\theta[/tex]) be a point with e_r and e_theta at that point.
    What can you say about the three quantities (e_r, e_theta and the point P) as r and [tex]\theta[/tex] vary?

2. Relevant equations

r: distance from origin
    [tex]\theta[/tex]: angle

3. The attempt at a solution

As r moves around, the e_r and e_theta change place. As r increases or decreases e_r and e_theta don't change place but as theta changes, they do change place since e_theta is always orthogonal to point P.

I feel like I'm not putting enough information. Is there something i didn't mention?
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2009 #2

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Yes there is some information missing. You have to note that as r changes, [tex]\theta[/tex] changes with the rate that r changes, because [tex]e_{\theta}[/tex] is the derivative of [tex]e_{r}[/tex]

4. Mar 13, 2009 #3
    What do you mean, I dont understand why.

5. Mar 14, 2009 #4

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Ok, starting with a (position) vector function, (I will use the cartesian coordinate system to make things appear obvious) lets say [tex]v=t^{2}i+2tj[/tex] The derivative is [tex]v'=2ti+2j[/tex]. Then how does [tex]v[/tex] vary with [tex]v'[/tex]? Since [tex]v'[/tex] is the derivative of [tex]v[/tex], then [tex]v'[/tex] must vary with [tex]v[/tex]'s rate of change. Looking at your position functions, [tex]-\sin{(\theta)}[/tex] is the derivative of [tex]\cos{(\theta)}[/tex]. Likewise for [tex]sin{(\theta)}[/tex] and [tex]cos{(\theta)}[/tex]

6. Mar 14, 2009 #5
    Oh right, i see.
    Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook