1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar Coordinates Improper Integral Proofs

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (a) we define the improper integral (over the entire plane R2)
    [tex]I=\int\int_{R^2}e^{-(x^2+y^2)}dA=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-(x^2+y^2)}dy dx=\lim_{a\rightarrow\infty}\int\int_{D_{a}} e^{-(x^2+y^2)} dA[/tex]

where Da is the disk with radius a and center the origin. Show that
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-(x^2+y^2)}dA=\pi[/tex]

(b)
    An equilivent definition of the improper integral in part (a) is
    [tex]\int\int_{R^2}e^{-(x^2+y^2)}dA=\lim_{a\rightarrow\infty}\int\int_{S_{a}} e^{-(x^2+y^2)} dA [/tex]

where Sa is the square with vertices [tex](\pm a,\pm a)[/tex] Use this to show that
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-y^2}dy=\pi[/tex]

(c) deduce that

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx=\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

(d) By making the change of variable [tex]t=\sqrt{2}x[/tex]. show that
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{\frac{-x^2}{2}}dx=\sqrt{2\pi}[/tex]
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I proved a by doing a change of variables into polar coordinates. However, I'm not quite sure how I would go about proving b.The idea that Sa is a square means I would be using Cartesian coordinates however, those 2 integrals don't have an antiderviative, what should I look at next?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2011 #2
    update, I proved everything, however I'm not sure If my proof for b is what they're asking for. I said that

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-y^2}dy=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-(x^2+y^2)}dy dx[/tex]

and since I had proved that the rhs of the equation equals pi it must be true that the left hand side of the equation equals pi as well. Dosen't a square of infinite dimensions have the same area as a polar rectangle where 0≤θ≤2∏ and 0≤r≤infinity. Does this satisfy the question being asked?

4. Nov 7, 2011 #3
    That's exactly what I did for part b. I have this assigned so I need some help on this problem as well.

I don't know how to do part c yet. I took the equation from b, and divided by the e^(-(y^2)) integral and all I would have to do is prove that that integral equals √∏. I tried to say that -y^2=x^2-r^2 so if you replace the e^(-(y^2)) integral with e^(x^2)/e^(r^2) (which I'm not sure if you can do), then idk I'm kinda stuck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook