1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar Double Integral Between 2 Regions

1. Mar 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the area in the first quadrant that is inside the circle ##r=100sin(\theta)## and outside the leminscate ##r^2=200cos(2\theta)##.

I have graphed the region as I interpreted it below. The area I am trying to find is the non-shaded, white region.

graph.jpg

2. Relevant equations

##\int_{\alpha}^{\beta} \int_{r_1(\theta)}^{r_2(\theta)} f(r, \theta)rdrd\theta##

3. The attempt at a solution

1. Determining the limits of the integrals:

Since the area we are solving for is in the first quadrant, and spans the whole first quadrant...

## \alpha = 0## and ##\beta = \frac {\pi} {2}##

As the leminscate is the first polar region we interact...

##r_1(\theta) = \sqrt{200cos(2\theta)}## and ##r_2(\theta) = 100sin(\theta)##

2. Setting up & Evaluating the Integral:

##\int_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}} \int_{\sqrt{200cos(2\theta)}}^{100sin(\theta)} r dr d\theta =##

##= \int_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}} [ \frac 1 2 r^2 |_{\sqrt{200cos(2\theta)}}^{100sin(\theta)}]d\theta##

##= \int_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}} [5000sin(\theta) - 100cos(2\theta)] d\theta##

##= 5000 \int_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}} sin(\theta)d\theta - 100 \int_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}} cos(2\theta)d\theta ##

##= 5000 [-cos(\theta) |_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}}] - 100 [\frac {sin(2\theta)} {2} |_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}}] ##

##= 5000 [0+1] - 100 [0-0]##

##\int_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}} \int_{\sqrt{200cos(2\theta)}}^{100sin(\theta)} r dr d\theta = 5000##

Apparently, this is an incorrect answer... I think I am having more of a conceptual problem with the regions than anything else.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The inside of the square root gives negative answers for part of your ##\theta## range. What part?
    So split your outer integral into two. One for the part where the inside of the square root is positive, and another where it isn't.
    What are the limits of ##\theta## for that split?

What should your lower bound for the inner integral be in your second inner integral (Hint: look at the diagram)?

4. Mar 27, 2016 #3
    I don't understand, where, and why is my square root giving negative values? And how am I splitting this up? I don't see where I went wrong.

5. Mar 27, 2016 #4

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Look at the leminscate ##r=\pm \sqrt{200\cos(2\theta)}## ... What happens when cos(2θ) becomes negative? When does this occur?

We are interested in the portion of the leminscate in the first quadrant; does that correspond with the the θ interval [0, π/2] ?

6. Mar 27, 2016 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look again at the diagram. For some values of ##\theta \in (0, \pi/2)## the ##r##-integration runs from some ##r_1(\theta)## to ##r_2(\theta)##, but for other values of ##\theta## it runs from ##r=0## to ##r = r_2(\theta)##.

7. Mar 29, 2016 #6
    I apologize for the late response, but I'm sorry I still don't understand what you mean by when it goes negative? I've tried conceptualizing it.

The solution for this problem was also posted by my teacher, but I am still trying to grasp it.

upload_2016-3-29_19-16-59.png

In the first integral, I can understand where the ##\frac {\pi} {4} ## is coming from, as it's the upper bound of the leminscate, but I plotted the image, and the ##\frac {\pi} {6}## seems to correspond to nothing on the region, it seems arbitrary.

I also don't understand why the second integral changes its bounds to (pi/6, pi/2) all of a sudden... I'm just not understanding these bounds at all.

Attached Files:

8. Mar 29, 2016 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you are interested in only one part of the lemniscate which is located inside the white circle.

If you were to plot the equation for the lemniscate, starting at θ = 0, you would have a point located at approximately (14.14,0) on the positive x-axis. However, this point is located outside the region enclosed by the white circle.

What you want to do is calculate the angle at which the lemniscate and the circle intersect after θ = 0 and before θ = π/4; in other words, solve ##100 sin (θ) = \sqrt{200 ⋅ cos (2θ)}## for θ. This value of θ becomes the lower bound of your integration.

9. Mar 29, 2016 #8
    Okay, thank you, it completely slipped my mind that the theta still traversed the leminscate even after pi/4. My only issue now is solving this equation, which although it is algebra, I'm not have a very good time with it.

10. Mar 29, 2016 #9

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To make things a little easier, there's a trig identity which you can use on cos (2θ) to convert it to an expression in sin (θ).

11. Mar 29, 2016 #10
    ##100sin(\theta) = \sqrt{200cos(2\theta)}##
    ##50sin^2(\theta) - cos(2\theta) = 0##
    ##50sin^2(\theta) - (1 - 2sin^2(\theta))=0##
    ##50sin^2(\theta) - 1 + 2sin^2(\theta))=0##
    ##52sin^2(\theta) - 1 =0##
    ##sin(\theta) = \frac {1} {\sqrt{52}} ##
    ##\theta = sin^-1(\frac {1} {\sqrt{52}}) ##

Not really sure what to make of this. How do I get an exact value for the bounds?

12. Mar 29, 2016 #11

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't, because there isn't one, except as shown in your calculations.

You can check your solution by substituting this angle into the equations for the lemniscate and the circle and obtaining the coordinates of the point of intersection.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted