Polarisation in dielectrics, anyone?

In summary, the Claussius Mossoti equation is used to determine molecular structure by relating the dielectric constant and polarisability of individual atoms in a crystal. It is an important tool in understanding the implications of polarization in dielectrics.
tessellations
I have been studying polarization in dielectrics recently. I got stuck after coming to Claussius Mossoti equation. I can't understand it's importance. I read that it is used to determine molecular structure but how exactly?
I've just joined this forum, hope someone can help. :) TIA
P.S: Sorry for the typo in the heading.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi tessellations! welcome to pf! :smile:
tessellations said:
I got stuck after coming to Claussius Mossoti equation. … I read that it is used to determine molecular structure but how exactly?

hmm :rolleyes: … what distinguishes us from the snakes is our ablility to restrain our use of s's ! :wink:

the polarisability of one atom is the tensor which relates the local electric field to the dipole moment

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clausius–Mossotti_relation#Dielectric_Constant_.26_Polarizability"
The polarizability is an atomic property, but the dielectric constant will depend on the manner in which the atoms are assembled to form a crystal.​

so if you know the dielectric constant, and the polarisability of the individual atoms, you can work backwards and find the molecular structure :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
:rolleyes:
I'm still finding it hard to understand its implications.
Anyways, thanks for taking out time to answer me. I'd really appreciate if you or others could explain it in some other manner. :) Thanks!

1. What is polarisation in dielectrics?

Polarisation in dielectrics refers to the phenomenon where the molecules of a dielectric material align themselves in a specific orientation when an external electric field is applied. This results in the material becoming polarized and having a slightly positive and negative charge on opposite ends.

2. Why does polarisation occur in dielectrics?

Polarisation occurs in dielectrics because the molecules of these materials are made up of electrically charged particles, such as electrons and protons. When an external electric field is applied, these particles are attracted to the opposite charge and align themselves accordingly, resulting in polarisation.

3. How does polarisation affect the dielectric material?

Polarisation can affect the dielectric material in various ways. It can increase the material's ability to store electric charge, decrease its dielectric constant, and reduce its overall capacitance. It can also cause the material to become slightly electrically conductive, depending on the strength of the applied electric field.

4. What are some common examples of dielectric materials?

Some common examples of dielectric materials include rubber, glass, paper, plastic, and ceramic. These materials are often used in the construction of electronic components, such as capacitors and insulators, due to their ability to resist the flow of electric current.

5. How is polarisation in dielectrics measured?

Polarisation in dielectrics can be measured using a variety of techniques, including the measurement of electric displacement, capacitance, and dielectric constant. These measurements can provide information about the strength of the polarisation and the material's ability to store electric charge.