Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polarisation of reflected light

1. Oct 23, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I have a question regarding the projection of polarised light onto a screen, such as commonly used in 3D or VR cinemas. I'm only concerned with linearly polarised light for the moment.

I understand that when light undergoes reflection the polarity is altered.
    I've attached a diagram. Light from projector is typically polarised at 45 degrees to the horizontal.
    My question is, is the polarity of the reflected light a function of:
    a) angle of incidence θi,
    b) the angle of reflectance to the eye θv,
    c) or the difference between v and r: θvr, or
    d) none of the above?
    Is there a simple expression, or does it depend greatly on the optical properties of the screen material? Does the Brewster angle have anything to do with this?

Thanks in advance,
    M

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Oct 23, 2013 #3
    Hi,

Thanks. A few things are unclear to me..
    a) How do I use these equations for an opaque material, where there is no transmittance or refraction? (What is the refractive index of an opaque material?)
    b) These equations seem to tell me the amount of light reflected or transmitted along r - the reflection of i. But I need the ratio of the "p" component to the "s" component for light scattered in all directions.
    Sorry if I am missing something obvious.
    M

5. Oct 23, 2013 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Oct 23, 2013 #5
    It's not clear if you are really interested in 3D projection or just in the phenomenon itself.
    But I thought that in 3D projection they use circular polarization.

7. Oct 24, 2013 #6
    Hi,

I'm interested in the degradation of stereo contrast (i.e. increase in cross-talk) caused by high angles of incidence and reflection.
    Yes, in some theatres it is circular, but in others linear. Here, I have a linear system.
    M

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook