Polarisation past paper question

In summary, the conversation discusses the polarization of light in different scenarios. In (i), it is assumed that the light is plainly polarised with a difference in amplitude. In (ii), there is a phase shift of pi/2 and the light is lefty circularly polarised. In (iii), there is a cos which also results in a phase change of pi/2, making the light plainly polarised again. The conversation also mentions a problem related to plotting the path of the electric field vector, with an explanation provided by the speaker.
KiNGGeexD
Question

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1388434444.158501.jpg

For (i)

I assumed that the light was plainly polarised as there is only a difference in amplitude

For (ii)

There is a negative sign infront of the amplitude which I ignored as it doesn't change the polarisation but one is cos and the other is sin, so there is a phase shift of pi/2 and hence the light is lefty circularly polarised?

For (iii)

There is a cos so a phase change of pi/2 but also another change of pi/2 so again the light would be plainly polarised??

Any help with this would be great as it is for my exam!:) I should also say I don't know how to sketch the tip of the resultant vector not sure what this means!Thanks a bunch!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are looking at Q5(b)?

The way to do these problems is to sketch the path traced out by the tip of the electric field vector ... oh you don't know what that means? Well I'll tell you:

You know what a vector is? It's just an arrow.
The electric field, in each case, is a vector of form ##\vec E = E_y(t)\hat \jmath + E_z(t)\hat k##
When you plot Ey vs Ez on a graph you get a dot - this is the tip of the electric field vector. Over time, that dot moves about.

i.e. if ##E_y=E\sin\omega t## and ##E_z=0##, then the graph starts out as ##(E_y,E_z)=(0,0)## - at the origin - then, as ##t## increases, the point travels up the ##E_y## axis until it reaches point ##(E_y,E_z)=(E,0)## at ##t=\pi /2\omega## then it starts heading back down again. Eventually it reaches point ##(E_y,E_z)=(-E,0)## where it starts moving up again to the origin. From there the motion repeats.
The result is a line that goes only up and down ... for linearly polarized light.

1. What is polarisation?

Polarisation refers to the orientation of electromagnetic waves in a specific direction. This can be both vertical and horizontal, and it determines the direction in which the wave oscillates.

2. What is the cause of polarisation?

Polarisation occurs when light waves are reflected or scattered off of a surface, causing them to become aligned in a specific direction. This can also occur when light passes through certain materials, such as polarising filters.

3. How does polarisation affect light?

Polarisation can alter the intensity and characteristics of light. When light is polarised, it becomes more directional and can potentially be blocked or filtered by certain materials.

4. What are some real-world applications of polarisation?

Polarisation has various applications in industries such as photography, 3D movie technology, and telecommunications. It is also used in scientific research, particularly in studying the properties of light and in astronomy.

5. How is polarisation measured and quantified?

Polarisation can be measured using a polarimeter, which detects the orientation and strength of polarised light. It is also quantified using a polarisation index, which measures the degree to which light is polarised.