Determining the polarisation state of the waves.

In summary, the conversation discusses two equations related to electromagnetic waves with different phase shifts and how to determine the polarization state of each wave. The speaker has reduced the equations to only include the angles and is unsure how to proceed from there. They mention using a table or Mathematica to determine the polarization state, but prefer to use mathematical methods for exam purposes.
Raphisonfire

Homework Statement

[tex]E(z,t) = E_{0x} \sin (kz - wt - \frac{\pi }{12}) - E_{0y} \cos (kz - wt + \phi + \frac{\pi}{12})[/tex]
[tex]E(z,t) = E_{0x} \sin (kz - wt - \frac{\pi }{3}) - E_{0y} \sin (kz - wt + \frac{\pi}{6})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first and second problem, I set t and z both to 0, so the only things that are left within the equations are the angles.

I've reduced the first equation down to
"[tex]E(z,t) = -E_{0x} \sin ( \frac{\pi }{12}) - E_{0y} \cos (\phi + \frac{\pi}{12})[/tex]"

And I've worked out that there is a phase shift of [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] between the waves, but I'm not sure where [tex]\phi[/tex] comes into it. For the second question, I've done the same process to reduce down z and t. and I've gotten [tex]E(z,t) = -E_{0x} \sin ( +\frac{\pi }{3}) - E_{0y} \sin (\frac{\pi}{6})[/tex]

When I get here, I'm not really sure on what to do from here. I know sin's are in phase, but the angle's aren't... is it just a matter of minusing a phase angle from one another?
I am fine with determining the actual state of polarisation because I have a table and I can also use mathematica to plot the functions out to determine it, but I'd rather use mathematics, because of how I will be examined on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does "polarization state" mean?

ehild

ehild said:
What does "polarization state" mean?

ehild

I know what polarisation state means.

My problem is, I don't know how to work through the phase shifts, to actually find the polarization state of that specific wave.

1. What is polarisation state of waves?

The polarisation state of waves refers to the direction of the electric field component of a transverse wave. It describes the orientation of the electric field vector in relation to the direction of wave propagation.

2. How is the polarisation state of waves determined?

The polarisation state of waves can be determined by analyzing the direction of the electric field vector in relation to the direction of wave propagation. This can be done through various methods such as using polarizers or measuring the angle of oscillation of the electric field.

3. What are the different types of polarisation states?

The three main types of polarisation states are linear, circular, and elliptical. In linear polarisation, the electric field vector oscillates along a single direction. In circular polarisation, the electric field vector rotates in a circular motion. In elliptical polarisation, the electric field vector follows an elliptical path.

4. How does the polarisation state of waves affect their properties?

The polarisation state of waves affects their properties such as the direction of oscillation, intensity, and interference patterns. For example, waves with different polarisation states will interfere differently, resulting in different interference patterns.

5. Why is determining the polarisation state of waves important?

Determining the polarisation state of waves is important in various fields such as optics, telecommunications, and astronomy. It allows us to understand the properties and behavior of waves and how they interact with different materials and environments. This knowledge is essential for developing new technologies and improving existing ones.