Polarization Beamsplitter Cubes

Hence, the resulting beam will be the vector sum of these two reflected waves which will be an elliptically polarized as well. In summary, when a linearly polarized laser beam passes through a polarization beamsplitter cube, the reflected beam will be 100% reflected if the polarization is parallel to the coating/cement. If the beam is elliptically polarized, the resulting reflected beam will also be elliptically polarized, with the long axis being the projection onto the axis parallel to the cement.
Niles
Hi

Say I have a laser beam, which is linearly polarized. Now I let it pass through a polarization beamsplitter cube (PBS). If I orient the PBS such that the polarization of light is "parallel" to the coating/cement (nicely illustrated here: http://www.thorlabs.com/images/TabImages/BS_PolarizedCube2.gif), I get 100% reflection (the red beam).

Say my beam is elliptically polarized instead with the long axis parallel to the cement. Is it correct that the reflected beam is merely the projection of the ellipse onto the axis parallel to the cement?

Help is greatly appreciated. I have thought about this for some time, and I can't figure it out. Hecht's "Optics" doesn't explain it either.

Best wishes,
Niles.

Science news on Phys.org
Yes.
You may treat elliptically polarized beam as a linear combination of vertical and horizontal waves, shifted in phase by [itex]90^\circ[/itex]. The vertical part will be reflected in one direction, the horizontal one in another in your cube.

What is a Polarization Beamsplitter Cube?

A Polarization Beamsplitter Cube is an optical device that is used to split a beam of light into two polarized beams. It is made up of two right angle prisms that are cemented together with a thin film coating on the hypotenuse surface.

How does a Polarization Beamsplitter Cube work?

A Polarization Beamsplitter Cube works by using the principle of polarization. Light waves have an electric field component that can vibrate in different directions. The thin film coating on the hypotenuse surface of the cube is designed to reflect one polarization of light and transmit the other, splitting the incident beam into two polarized beams.

What are the applications of Polarization Beamsplitter Cubes?

Polarization Beamsplitter Cubes are used in various applications such as interferometry, microscopy, laser systems, and telecommunications. They are also commonly used in polarizing beam combiners, which are used to combine two beams of light with different polarizations into a single beam.

What are the advantages of using Polarization Beamsplitter Cubes?

One of the main advantages of using Polarization Beamsplitter Cubes is their high splitting efficiency and low loss of light. They are also highly durable and resistant to environmental factors such as temperature and humidity. Additionally, they have a wide spectral range and can be used with various types of light sources.

What factors should be considered when choosing a Polarization Beamsplitter Cube?

When choosing a Polarization Beamsplitter Cube, factors such as the wavelength range, polarization ratio, and damage threshold should be considered. The angle of incidence of the incident beam should also be taken into account, as it can affect the performance of the cube. Additionally, the material and coating of the cube should be chosen based on the specific application and environmental conditions.