Police using the help of clairvoyants

• News
  • Thread starter greypilgrim
  • Start date
In summary, some clairvoyants are skilled at reading lines on the hands of people to predict the future, while others are out to scam people. William Gresham, author of "Nightmare Alley", popularized the word "geek" and the low level of show business that it originally referred to.
greypilgrim
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccann-buried-forest-just-24257689

On one hand, police warn about charlatans, on the other, they accept the help of clairvoyants as a last resort. Mixed signals much?

Is there a statistics about how often clairvoyants actually successed in finding somebody? Apparently this Michael Schneider did several times.

Physics news on Phys.org
greypilgrim said:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccann-buried-forest-just-24257689

On one hand, police warn about charlatans, on the other, they accept the help of clairvoyants as a last resort. Mixed signals much?

Is there a statistics about how often clairvoyants actually successed in finding somebody? Apparently this Michael Schneider did several times.
I don't see this as mixed signals if the assistance is free. The "psychic" is looking for free publicity, but then so are the police. And psychic investigation isn't fundamentally different from detective work, so the police are getting a "free" extra set of hands.

Oh, I had missed this.
I admit I have been fascinated by this story from the start. Wonder if anything will come of this.

russ_watters said:
And psychic investigation isn't fundamentally different from detective work, so the police are getting a "free" extra set of hands.
Although adding a crazy person to your team is seldom, IMHO, a good management decision. Of course in most general investigations there is no bad publicity so a blurb on the local news is probably worth the crazy.
Oh, and the body will be found near water...I can seee it.

Likes russ_watters
If you were a really good investigator wanting to help with a case, maybe you'de need to pretend to be a clairvoyant in order to be taken seriously?

Likes russ_watters and hutchphd
This sounds like we could do a TV show. We should make one guy black and one white. Naw that won't work...

• Haha
Likes BillTre
hutchphd said:
Although adding a crazy person to your team is seldom, IMHO, a good management decision.
You're assuming the psychic is crazy? I'm not; I'm assuming the psychic is a skilled* cold reader+. That's almost exactly the sort of skill you need for interrogations.
Jarvis323 said:
If you were a really good investigator wanting to help with a case, maybe you'd need to pretend to be a clairvoyant in order to be taken seriously?
I think you joke, but I think that in many cases if an investigator is having trouble getting through to a witness/suspect, a "clairvoyant" may have more luck.

*Note; police should only employ successful psychics.
+Not to be confused with "fraud".

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
I think you joke, but I think that in many cases if an investigator is having trouble getting through to a witness/suspect, a "clairvoyant" may have more luck.
I was assuming @Jarvis323 was referencing the US TV show "psych" which had that as a premise. It was a pretty good show (but perhaps parochial...maybe not in UK)
Watching a Crystal Ball carnie psychic at work can be an education in itself. And who is the TV guy who talks to the dead? OMG. The amazing James Randi is unfortunately no longer among us..

Likes BillTre
rsk said:
I admit I have been fascinated by this story from the start. Wonder if anything will come of this.
"I will consult the bones..."

:smile:

Likes rsk
For psychics I defer to American journalist and solid skeptic William Gresham, author of novel
Nightmare Alley also made into a 1947 movie. Fooling the rubes/marks/chumps remains the lifework of priests, grifters, mentalists, professional clairvoyants and lazy lowlifes of many sorts. Their tricks are simple and highly effective, presaging the information age. Want to know something about the family of a missing child: talk to a gabby neighbor.

Stud poker, initially played with one card down and four up cards, one exposed at each betting round; was highly popular when Gresham wrote Nightmare Alley. An 'ace in the hole' could win many small pots when no player bettered their hand. A 'mitt camp' in carney slang refers to clairvoyants who prefer to 'read' lines on the mark's hand to foretell the future while actually studying reactions to stock phrases.

Some ladle out the blarney
In the mitt camp of a carney
And some lecture on the Cosmic Oversoul
But their names would be mud
Like a chump playing stud
If they lost that old ace in the hole.

The ability of smart people to fool the yokels is their 'ace in the hole'.

Gresham also popularized the slang word 'geek'; originally the lowest level of show business that morphed into a verb meaning to do anything for money; currently applied to socially awkward people (circus and show biz folk pitied and shunned the geek).

1. How do police use the help of clairvoyants in their investigations?

Police may use the help of clairvoyants, also known as psychics, in a variety of ways in their investigations. This can include providing leads or tips based on their psychic abilities, assisting with missing person cases, or using their skills to gather information during interrogations.

2. Is the use of clairvoyants considered a reliable method for solving crimes?

The reliability of clairvoyants in solving crimes is a highly debated topic. While some people believe in their abilities and have seen successful results, others argue that these methods are not scientifically proven and can lead to false information.

3. Are there any ethical concerns with police using clairvoyants in their investigations?

There are potential ethical concerns with police using clairvoyants in their investigations. This can include the use of pseudoscience and the possibility of false information or biased leads being provided. It is important for police to carefully evaluate the credibility of the information provided by clairvoyants and not solely rely on it in their investigations.

4. Have there been any notable cases where police have used clairvoyants successfully?

There have been several notable cases where police have used clairvoyants to assist in solving crimes. One example is the case of the Green River Killer, where a psychic provided important information that led to the arrest of the killer. However, it is important to note that these cases are not always reliable and should not be solely relied upon in investigations.

5. Are there any alternative methods that police can use instead of clairvoyants in their investigations?

There are several alternative methods that police can use instead of clairvoyants in their investigations. This can include utilizing advanced technology, forensic evidence, and traditional investigative techniques. These methods have been proven to be more reliable and scientifically sound in solving crimes.