Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poll: Which Version of Spice or other Circuit Simulator Do You Use?

1. Dec 9, 2011 #1
    Please indicate which version of circuit simulator you use and why. If it is not free, please give its price.

As for me,

PSpice Student:
    Pros
    Free
    Very easy to use
    Good graphics

Cons
    Limits the number of components
    that can be used

LT Spice IV
    Pros
    Free
    Doesn't restrict size of
    circuit.

Cons
    Not as easy to use as PSpice

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

We standardized on MicroCAP several years ago at my work. They are local here in Silicon Valley, and because of some history with them, we get very good technical support (we find bugs occasionally because of the complex nature of some of our simulations).

4. Dec 9, 2011 #3
    Simetrix
    Pros
    Free
    easy to use
    Really easy to add spice models-just drag n drop

Cons
    Free version cannot simulate complex ckts.

5. Dec 9, 2011 #4
    I should mention that the purpose of this poll is to consider the possibility of uploading the circuit simulator files so that others might be able to demonstrate improvements. It's already beginning to look like there are too many different types of simulators to do that. As part of this poll, does anyone have any ideas about how to upload circuits for simulation?

6. Dec 31, 2011 #5
    I've tried Synopsys HSpice, Cadence Spectre, Cadence Orcad PSpice, ngspice and Linear Technology LTSpice, HiPAC EDT and many more.

Synopsys HSpice - The pinnacle software. Costly. All Pro No con.
    Cadence Spectre - Probably second best. Costly. comes with IC design suite.
    Cadence Orcad PSpice - My personal favourite. Free demo has limited capability. Totally error and glitch free. Can simulate upto MOSFET model BSIM3 version 3.1. Can be even configured to simulate much more (BSIM4v4.7, BSIMSOI4.4 by editing C++ model codes - Device Equations license required).
    ngspice - Many consider it good. But it is not free from glitches and errors. One of my circuit did not simulate due to small time step. I changed its internal timestep tolerance, but it failed again. Once I've even got erroneous data.
    LTspice - did not use much. glitchy and errorful.
    HiPAC EDT - Very good thing. Can do S parameter and Nyquist plot. Dont have MOSFET or IC library.

7. Dec 31, 2011 #6
    Microwave office when I was at work.

8. Dec 31, 2011 #7
    Tina Pro. It's incredibly easy to use and very inexpensive.

I've also got ICAP which costs 10x more and is 10x harder to use. (but it has a much better component library)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook