Poll: Which Version of Spice or other Circuit Simulator Do You Use?

In summary, PSpice is a free circuit simulator that is easy to use. LTSpice is a free circuit simulator that is easy to use and has a good component library. Synopsys HSpice is a costly circuit simulator that comes with an IC design suite. Cadence Spectre is a cost-effective circuit simulator that comes with an IC design suite. Cadence Orcad PSpice is a favorite of many users because it is free and error and glitch free. ngspice is considered good but is not free. LTspice is glitchy and errorful. HiPAC EDT is very good but does not have a MOSFET or IC library. Microwave office is good but I was at work
skeptic2
Please indicate which version of circuit simulator you use and why. If it is not free, please give its price.

As for me,

PSpice Student:
Pros
Free
Very easy to use
Good graphics

Cons
Limits the number of components
that can be used

LT Spice IV
Pros
Free
Doesn't restrict size of
circuit.

Cons
Not as easy to use as PSpice

Engineering news on Phys.org
We standardized on MicroCAP several years ago at my work. They are local here in Silicon Valley, and because of some history with them, we get very good technical support (we find bugs occasionally because of the complex nature of some of our simulations).

Simetrix
Pros
Free
easy to use
Really easy to add spice models-just drag n drop

Cons
Free version cannot simulate complex ckts.

I should mention that the purpose of this poll is to consider the possibility of uploading the circuit simulator files so that others might be able to demonstrate improvements. It's already beginning to look like there are too many different types of simulators to do that. As part of this poll, does anyone have any ideas about how to upload circuits for simulation?

I've tried Synopsys HSpice, Cadence Spectre, Cadence Orcad PSpice, ngspice and Linear Technology LTSpice, HiPAC EDT and many more.

Synopsys HSpice - The pinnacle software. Costly. All Pro No con.
Cadence Spectre - Probably second best. Costly. comes with IC design suite.
Cadence Orcad PSpice - My personal favourite. Free demo has limited capability. Totally error and glitch free. Can simulate upto MOSFET model BSIM3 version 3.1. Can be even configured to simulate much more (BSIM4v4.7, BSIMSOI4.4 by editing C++ model codes - Device Equations license required).
ngspice - Many consider it good. But it is not free from glitches and errors. One of my circuit did not simulate due to small time step. I changed its internal timestep tolerance, but it failed again. Once I've even got erroneous data.
LTspice - did not use much. glitchy and errorful.
HiPAC EDT - Very good thing. Can do S parameter and Nyquist plot. Dont have MOSFET or IC library.

Microwave office when I was at work.

Tina Pro. It's incredibly easy to use and very inexpensive.

I've also got ICAP which costs 10x more and is 10x harder to use. (but it has a much better component library)

1. What is Spice and what is its purpose?

Spice is a computer program used for simulating and analyzing electronic circuits. It allows scientists and engineers to predict the behavior of a circuit before physically building it, saving time and resources.

2. What are the different versions of Spice available?

There are various versions of Spice available such as Spice3, PSpice, LTspice, and HSPICE. These versions have different features and capabilities, so users can choose based on their specific needs.

3. What are the advantages of using a circuit simulator?

Circuit simulators like Spice allow for quick and accurate analysis of circuit behavior, which can help identify and troubleshoot potential problems before building a physical circuit. It also allows for testing and experimenting with different circuit designs without the need for physical components.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a circuit simulator?

While circuit simulators can be very useful, they are not always 100% accurate as they rely on mathematical models. Additionally, they may not take into account all real-world factors such as temperature and component tolerances.

5. Is Spice the only circuit simulator available?

No, Spice is not the only circuit simulator available. There are other programs such as Multisim, TINA, and Proteus that offer similar functionality. However, Spice is one of the most widely used and well-established circuit simulators in the scientific community.