What Does Reducing Z[x] Modulo the Prime Ideal (p) in Polynomial Rings Mean?

In summary, Dummit and Foote Section 9.2 discusses polynomial rings over fields and in Example 3 on page 300, they introduce the ring Z/pZ[x] obtained by reducing Z[x] modulo the prime ideal (p). This ring is a Principal Ideal Domain and has coefficients from the field Z/pZ. There may be confusion with the notation Z/pZ[x], but it is likely referring to (Z/pZ)[x].
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote Section 9.2: Polynomial Rings Over Fields I

I am having some trouble understanding Example 3 on page 300 (see attached)

My problem is mainly with understanding the notation and terminology.

The start of Example 3 reads as follows.

"If p is a prime, the ring Z/pZ[x] obtained by reducing Z[x] modulo the prime ideal (p) is a Principal Ideal Domain, since the coefficients lie in the field Z/pZ ... ... "

To me the ring Z/pZ[x] would be formed by reducing Z modulo p to form three cosets, namely
png.latex
and then forming Z/pZ[x] by taking coeffiients from Z/pZ

I am really unsure what D&F mean by "reducing Z[x] modulo the prime ideal (p)" unless they mean reducing the coefficients of Z[x] to coefficients from Z/pZ.

I am also assuming that when D&F use the notation Z/pZ[x] they are meaning (Z/pZ)[x]Can someone clarify this for me?

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am really unsure what D&F mean by "reducing Z[x] modulo the prime ideal (p)" unless they mean reducing the coefficients of Z[x] to coefficients from Z/pZ.

I am also assuming that when D&F use the notation Z/pZ[x] they are meaning (Z/pZ)[x]

I am pretty sure they mean just what you say, the polynomial ring $(\mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z})[x]$ or with other notations, $\mathbb{Z}_p[x]$ or $\left(\mathbb{Z}/(p)\right)[x]$.

Related to What Does Reducing Z[x] Modulo the Prime Ideal (p) in Polynomial Rings Mean?

What are polynomial rings over fields?

Polynomial rings over fields are algebraic structures that combine the concepts of polynomials and fields. They are essentially a set of polynomials with coefficients from a field, along with operations such as addition and multiplication defined on them.

What are the properties of polynomial rings over fields?

Polynomial rings over fields have several important properties, including closure under addition and multiplication, the existence of an additive and multiplicative identity element, and the commutative and associative properties for addition and multiplication. They also have a unique multiplicative inverse for non-zero elements.

How are polynomial rings over fields used in mathematics?

Polynomial rings over fields have many applications in mathematics, including abstract algebra, number theory, and algebraic geometry. They are also used in computer science, particularly in the fields of coding theory and cryptography.

What is the difference between polynomial rings over fields and polynomial rings over integers?

The main difference is that polynomial rings over fields have coefficients from a field, while polynomial rings over integers have coefficients from the integers. This means that the operations of addition and multiplication are more restricted in polynomial rings over fields, as they must follow the rules of a field.

What are some examples of polynomial rings over fields?

Some examples of polynomial rings over fields include the ring of polynomials with coefficients from the real numbers, denoted as ℝ[x], and the ring of polynomials with coefficients from the finite field with two elements, denoted as ℤ2[x]. Other examples include the ring of polynomials with coefficients from the rational numbers and the ring of polynomials with coefficients from the complex numbers.