Can Rational Functions be Written as a Sum of Polynomials?

In summary, we have shown that any rational function, \frac{h(x)}{f(x)g(x)} can be written in the form (\frac{p(x)}{f(x)}) + (\frac{q(x)}{g(x)}) for some polynomials, p and q. This is proven by using the fact that the greatest common divisor of f(x) and g(x) is 1 and then manipulating the equation to obtain the desired form. This proof is correct and the person writing it had fun doing so.
silvermane
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Take two polynomials f(x) and g(x) over a field, and suppose that gcd(f,g)=1.
Show that any rational function, [tex]\frac{h(x)}{f(x)g(x)}[/tex] can be written in the form
[tex](\frac{p(x)}{f(x)})[/tex] + [tex](\frac{q(x)}{g(x)})[/tex] for some polynomials, p and q.

The Attempt at a Solution

I claim that any rational function [tex](\frac{h(x)}{f(x)g(x)})[/tex] can be written in the form [tex](\frac{p(x)}{f(x)})[/tex] + [tex](\frac{q(x)}{g(x)})[/tex] for some polynomials, p and q.

We're given that the gcd(f,g) = 1, so we could write them as a linear combination of their gcd:
1 = u(x)f(x) + w(x)g(x).
We divide both sides by f(x) and g(x) to obtain:
[tex](\frac{1}{f(x)g(x)})[/tex] = [tex](\frac{u(x)}{g(x)})[/tex] + [tex](\frac{w(x)}{f(x)})[/tex]
We could then multiply both sides by h(x) to obtain:
[tex](\frac{h(x)}{f(x)g(x)})[/tex] = [tex](\frac{h(x)*u(x)}{g(x)})[/tex] + [tex](\frac{h(x)*w(x)}{f(x)})[/tex]

Now, let p(x) = h(x)*u(x) and q(x) = h(x)*w(x). Thus, we have that
[tex](\frac{h(x)}{f(x)g(x)})[/tex] = [tex](\frac{p(x)}{g(x)})[/tex] + [tex](\frac{p(x)}{f(x)})[/tex]
and we've proven our claim.

I just want to make sure that what I've done here is correct. Just so that I understand the material and what's going on. Thank you for your help in advance! :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
seems fine.
It's a cool proof actually...

:blushing:
Thanks! I had a lot of fun writing it once I figured the whole thing out.
Thanks for checking it for me!

What is a polynomial over a field?

A polynomial over a field is an algebraic expression consisting of coefficients from a field and variables raised to non-negative integer powers.

What is the degree of a polynomial over a field?

The degree of a polynomial over a field is the highest power of the variable in the expression.

How do you perform addition and subtraction with polynomials over a field?

To add or subtract polynomials over a field, simply combine like terms (terms with the same variable and exponent) and keep the coefficients the same.

How do you perform multiplication with polynomials over a field?

To multiply polynomials over a field, use the distributive property and combine like terms.

Can you divide polynomials over a field?

Yes, polynomials over a field can be divided using long division or synthetic division. However, the result may not always be a polynomial and may include a remainder.