1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Ponderomotive Force - What is it?

1. Jun 21, 2017 #1
    Sometimes as I am reading about the history of physics I run across this phrase.
    Ponderomotive force. I have tried looking it up several times but can never find an answer that explains what is meant by this phrase. Can someone tell me in laymens terms what is a Ponderomotive Force? Sometimes people like Einstein, Lorentz and Maxwell use this phrase. Give me an example of what this force is and how it works. I am looking for the mechanical details of what it is.
    Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2017 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jun 21, 2017 #3
    Yes I have that article several times. I guess my question is, are they saying that this ponderomotive force is the cause of the motion of a particle?

5. Jun 21, 2017 #4

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you skip the introduction?

6. Jun 21, 2017 #5
    No, I did not skip the beginning of the article. Its a small article and I read the beginning paragraphs several times. There is no Introduction it starts with the Derivation. I guess that is what you are referring to as the Introduction. I am looking for more of a metaphysical description. Maybe that article is as good as it gets.

7. Jun 21, 2017 #6

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

PF is not the place to go for metaphysics.

8. Jun 21, 2017 #7

Drakkith

I'm not quite sure what you're asking for. The wiki article linked by A.T. is a good description of the process. It's the average force felt by a particle in an oscillating, non-homogeneous electromagnetic field and the mechanical details are given in the article.

What's your physics background? Have you taken any E&M classes yet?

Metaphysics is philosophy, not science. Are you sure that's the word you meant to use?

9. Jun 22, 2017 #8
    Yes, I meant to use that word. I am studying the nature of things, philosophically speaking. Okay and your brief description is good enough to confirm what I read and I now see the meaning of the phrase. It does not mean what I thought it meant. You summed it up better than the article by saying that its the average force felt by a particle in an oscillating field. It is a simple, clear definition that I was looking for. Thanks for the help.

Actually with your simple straight forward definition in hand I went back and reread the article and the entire wiki article makes much more sense. I was able to get a lot more understanding of the meaning of Ponderomotive Force. Now when I read other articles that mention it, it won't be a mystery to me what they are talking about.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  10. Jun 22, 2017 #9

Drakkith

I can understand. I think the key areas of the article were:
    and
    It would be easy to get confused if you missed this last part or didn't make the connection, which is easy to do if you're approaching a new topic for the first time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted