Poor performance in first and second year physics....

In summary: I also feel like I am not really learning new information, but rather just recalling information I learned in lower division classes. So I guess my study habits would be better described as sporadic.I also play video games, but to a much lesser extent than other things. I guess the biggest thing that's been hindering my ability to study is my job. It's a part-time job that doesn't require me to be at work for more than 8 hours at a time, but it's still been a bit of a challenge to get enough studying done.
Clueless
Hi all!

Now I don't know whether the question I am about to pose is something that can be answered intelligibly. Maybe it is just a case about motivation...but I am not too sure at the moment.

My question is: Does mediocre performance in first and second year physics present a possible disaster in third year? I have found both the physics and math subjects quite difficult in third year, and I even feel like I haven't really learned that much over the past two years of my physics studies. I mean, I can do the math, but when I go back to my textbooks, I seem to only barely grasp the physics behind the maths. I feel like I have tons of holes in my general physics understanding.

So my conclusion: My physics ain't that great, and neither is my math. I am quite afraid that this will threaten my progress in third year.

Now I know that physics must take time, and perhaps I just need to accept the fact that I haven't striven enough in trying to learn the physics. But right now I am on holidays, and I am wondering whether there is anything I can start doing that can help me plug the gaps or even start rebuilding my shaky knowledge of physics.

Thanks for reading this long and convoluted passage! I am pretty desperate so any advice would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Clueless said:
I am quite afraid that this will threaten my progress in third year.

You should be. Upper division classes build on the fundamentals you should have learned earlier. If those fundamentals are shaky, you have a problem on your hands.

Likes Clueless
There's only one fix to this situation: go back and fix your foundations.

Likes Clueless and Student100
The math is there to model something physical. When you were going through lower division classes were you stopping to think about what the equations meant, how the results were derived, the physical significance of the results, etc.? That's a good way to learn the "physics behind the math."

Since you're on break you should probably backtrack like Micromass suggests, and work through some old problem sets asking yourself those questions. One holiday is probably insufficient to make up two years of cheating yourself out of an education.

Likes Clueless
Thanks for putting out your opinions straight up like that...I will see to it that I get started right away (knowing full well that this holiday ain't enough).

Just one thought...which area of physics might be suggested as crucial? I have done only smatterings of classical mechanics and optics, and half-semesters of thermal physics, quantum physics, electromagnetism, and special relativity. Should my choice be merely based on my interests?

Clueless said:
Just one thought...which area of physics might be suggested as crucial? I have done only smatterings of classical mechanics and optics, and half-semesters of thermal physics, quantum physics, electromagnetism, and special relativity. Should my choice be merely based on my interests?

Now you're trying to find shortcuts and an easy way out.

There is no such thing as "crucial" or not crucial. There is a reason a subject area is in the curriculum. They are all important, especially when you don't know where or what you will end up doing!

Rather than diagnosing why you are not doing well in the first 2 years, and figuring out the solution, you're now trying to skirt the issue. Considering that the first 2 years should have been the easiest and an opportunity to shore up your GPA, you now have a daunting task of facing advanced level classes that require those earlier courses as the foundation.

It is time you sit down and seriously consider your priorities.

Zz.

You haven't said anything about how you are doing in other courses, what your career goals are, or why you are taking physics and math courses. All those are inter-related.

If you're already struggling you should either learn the material that you could not grasp or switch to an easier major.

What are your study habits like? Are you spending 30 minutes outside of the class studying per contact hour or are you spending 4 hours studying per contact hour? Do you have a job? Is that job interfering with your ability to study? Do you play video games? Do you play video games instead of studying and practicing your mathematics?

Thanks for the critical comments. I will take it to heart. Thanks for spending your time reading.

Thank you all again!

Last edited:
I'd definitely take the time to brush up on some of the earlier physics. I feel as if the most important lessons gained from Physics I/II aren't necessarily the specifics of the subject materials (though obviously the specifics are not to be neglected -- for example, second law analysis is directly useful for a future statics student, magnetism and circuit analysis is directly useful for a future EE/CE student, etc), but rather the "soft" skills. The skills I refer to are the ability to think through algorithms, correctly and efficiently break up problem statements into more manageable sub-problems, and gaining a physical intuition that will help you decipher far more complicated concepts in the future (for example, having an intuitive conceptualization of momentum can help you much better understand the physics behind the drag on a plate or airfoil). Don't worry if you can't recall every detail of your early Physics education, as most people don't -- but do be sure to pick up those "soft" skills, as they will be the most important in the future. Good luck!

Last edited:

1. How common is it for students to struggle in their first and second year of physics?

It is not uncommon for students to struggle in their first and second year of physics. Physics is a challenging subject that requires a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills. Many students may also be adjusting to the rigor of college-level courses and may not have developed effective study habits yet.

2. Are there any specific reasons why students may struggle in physics during their first and second year?

There are several reasons why students may struggle in physics during their first and second year. Some common reasons include a lack of prior exposure to physics concepts, difficulty with math skills, and not seeking help when needed. Additionally, the fast pace of introductory physics courses can be overwhelming, making it challenging to keep up with the material.

3. What can students do to improve their performance in first and second year physics?

There are several things students can do to improve their performance in first and second year physics. First, it is essential to have a strong foundation in math and to practice regularly. Students should also actively engage with the material by attending lectures, taking notes, and asking questions. Seeking help from professors or tutors can also be beneficial in clarifying concepts and improving understanding.

4. How can professors support students who are struggling in first and second year physics?

Professors can support struggling students in several ways. They can offer additional resources such as review sessions, practice problems, and office hours. Providing regular feedback and being approachable can also help students feel more comfortable seeking help. Professors can also offer alternative teaching methods and adjust the pace of the course to better accommodate students' needs.

5. Is it possible to catch up and succeed in physics after struggling in the first and second year?

Yes, it is possible to catch up and succeed in physics after struggling in the first and second year. With dedication, hard work, and seeking help when needed, students can improve their understanding and performance in physics. It is also essential to remember that struggling in the first and second year does not define a student's ability to succeed in physics or their career as a scientist.