Population Estimation: 1000 Females, 25yrs-100yrs & 3 Kids/Female

• I
  • Thread starter marian0567
  • Start date
  • Tags
    population
In summary, the base isolated population starts with 1000 females, each with an average age of 25 and living to be 100 years old. Each female gives birth to three children and there are no men in the first generation due to the use of sperm banks. In the 2nd generation, there is an equal split of 50% male and 50% female, with each female also having three children. The population continues for 1000 years, with a new generation occurring every 25 years. Assuming each woman gives birth to three children at age 25 and there is an equal split of male and female, the population at the turn of each century will be the number of newborns in each 25-year step
marian0567
Base isolated population is 1000 females. Each is one is on average 25 and lives to be 100 years old and gives birth to three kids...sperm banks so there are no men in the first generation population.

2nd generation is 50%male and 50% female and each female grows up and has three kids. Everyone lives to 100 (for the sake of simplicity) this repeats for 1000 years so what is the population at the turn of each century assuming a new generation happens every 25 years?
This is not for school I made this question up for myself but I'm incapable of anything beyond basic arithmetic please help this has been nagging me for months and I can't get Excell to work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For simplicity, assume every women gets 3 children exactly at age 25. And as 50% are male and 50% female (after the initial step), you can just assume everyone gets 1.5 children.
If you keep track of the number of newborns in every 25 year step, this problem should be easy to model in excel, but you can also find an explicit formula for the number of newborns in each step, and derive everything else based on that.

1. How is population estimation calculated?

Population estimation is calculated by taking into account the number of individuals in a specific age range, such as 25-100 years old, and multiplying it by the average number of children per female in that age range. This is then multiplied by the total number of females in the population, which in this case is 1000, to get an estimate of the total population.

2. What is the significance of using 1000 females in the population estimation?

Using 1000 females in the population estimation is a common practice in scientific research as it provides a large enough sample size to make accurate estimations. Additionally, females are often used as a representation of the entire population as they are the primary caregivers and have a significant impact on population growth.

3. How accurate is population estimation?

Population estimation can provide a good estimate of the population, but it is not always 100% accurate. It is influenced by various factors such as birth and death rates, migration, and disease outbreaks. Additionally, the accuracy of the estimation also depends on the accuracy of the data used.

4. What is the importance of estimating population?

Population estimation is important for understanding the size and growth rate of a population. This information can be used to plan and allocate resources, make policy decisions, and address issues such as overpopulation or underpopulation. It also helps researchers and scientists to monitor and predict trends in population growth and demographics.

5. How can population estimation be improved?

Population estimation can be improved by using more accurate and up-to-date data, such as census data or data from population surveys. Collaborating with experts in the field of demography and using advanced statistical methods can also help to improve the accuracy of population estimation. Additionally, regular updates and revisions of the estimation can help to account for any changes in population dynamics.