1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Position of particle in a box, is this a valid way to solve?

1. Sep 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is problem 2.4 from Griffiths, where he asks to find the expectation value of the position of a particle in a box.

2. Relevant equations
    Schrodinger equation.

3. The attempt at a solution

I wrote that

[tex]\frac{2}{a} \int_0^a x (sin(\frac{n \pi}{a} x))^2 dx = \frac{a}{2} + \frac{2}{a} \int_{-\frac{a}{2}}^{+\frac{a}{2}} x (sin(\frac{n \pi}{a} x))^2 dx = \frac{a}{2}[/tex]

By argument of moving the origin to a/2 and that the integrand becomes odd when you do that, and so the integral equals zero. Is this valid, or do I need to tidy up the integral some more?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to be a bit careful here because the symmetric particle in the box potential admits both even and odd solutions, i.e. sines and cosines. I would recommend that you actually do the integral and use your argument not as proof but as validation why the answer a/2 makes sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook