Position on the plane of a man

In summary: There is a restriction on the range of theta too. In summary, the man starts at the origin of the complex plane and takes a series of steps, each of which decreases in length by a factor f and changes direction by an angle theta measured from the horizontal and going counterclockwise. After N iterations of this, the man will end up at a point Z(N) = 1*e^(i0) + f*e^(i*theta) + ... + f^(N-1)*e^((N-1)*i*theta). The set of all possible N=infinity locations is restricted by the condition that f<1 and the range of theta.
hlin818

Homework Statement

An man starts on 0+0i of the complex plane. During the first walk step he moves a distance 1 to the right and lands on 1+0i. At each walk phase after this initial one the walk length decreases by a factor f<1 and he changes direction by an angle theta (measured from the horizontal and going counterclockwise). On what point does the man end up after N iterations of this? After an infinite number? What are all possible N=infinity locations?

Homework Equations

None that I know of. The path seems to form a spiral like pattern from the origin that curves counterclockwise inwards towards a center point.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to calculate the the position of the man by adding to the previous steps at each step by using trigonometry and adding the components to get the position at each step but that got very messy fast since the orientation of the angle is always changing and thus I would have to alternate between sines for the x values and cosines for the y values at seemingly irregular places. It looks like a formula is possible using this method but it would be incredibly messy and I doubt this is the way to do it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Represent the step vector in complex polar form. Like f*exp(i*theta).

hlin818 said:

Homework Statement

An man starts on 0+0i of the complex plane. During the first walk step he moves a distance 1 to the right and lands on 1+0i. At each walk phase after this initial one the walk length decreases by a factor f<1 and he changes direction by an angle theta (measured from the vertical and going counterclockwise). On what point does the man end up after N iterations of this? After an infinite number? What are all possible N=infinity locations?

Homework Equations

None that I know of. The path seems to form a spiral like pattern from the origin that curves counterclockwise inwards towards a center point.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to calculate the the position of the man by adding to the previous steps at each step by using trigonometry and adding the components to get the position at each step but that got very messy fast since the orientation of the angle is always changing and thus I would have to alternate between sines for the x values and cosines for the y values at seemingly irregular places. It looks like a formula is possible using this method but it would be incredibly messy and I doubt this is the way to do it.

Try writing the complex numbers in polar form, so the first two steps would be$$
z_2 = 1e^{i0}+fe^{i\theta}$$

Perhaps you can express each successive position in polar form? [edit]yes - I too will says it!
$$\vec{z}=Re^{j\theta}$$

Is the change in direction always the same angle to the vertical?
If that angle were 0 radians, the at the second step he'd go in the imaginary direction ... but successive steps would not change direction quite as much. If he'd started his first step to 0+i he'd just have kept going in that direction wouldn't he?

Thank you guys, that takes care of the angle problem.

So would the general nth position be Zn=1*e^(i0)+f*e^(i*theta)+...+f^n*e^(n*i*theta)? Somehow I doubt this is correct - shouldn't the radius continually be decreasing?Oops - I meant to the *horizontal*. After the initial step theta goes counterclockwise like the unit circle does.

Last edited:
hlin818 said:
Thank you guys, that takes care of the angle problem.

So would the general n+1th term be Zn+1=1*e^(i0)+f*e^(i*theta)+...+f^n*e^(n*i*theta)?

Yes, that is correct.

Somehow I doubt this is correct - shouldn't the radius continually be decreasing?

Isn't ##f<1## given?

Bah. Never mind, I was looking at something wrong.

So would the set of all n=infinity locations be the whole argand plane? It seems that varying values the angle theta and the step function could eventually allow the sum of values to "converge" to any point on the plane.

Last edited:
Looks to me like you are going to end up with a geometric series.

hlin818 said:
Bah. Never mind, I was looking at something wrong.

So would the set of all n=infinity locations be the whole argand plane? It seems that varying values the angle theta and the step function could eventually allow the sum of values to "converge" to any point on the plane.

Since your series only converges for f<1, if you look carefully I don't think you'll find that the whole plane is covered.

1. What is meant by "position on the plane"?

The position on the plane refers to the location of a man in relation to a two-dimensional surface, such as a map or graph. It is often represented by coordinates, such as latitude and longitude or x and y values.

2. How is the position on the plane of a man determined?

The position on the plane of a man can be determined using various methods, such as GPS coordinates, trigonometry, or by measuring distances and angles from known points. It can also be estimated using visual cues and landmarks.

3. Why is the position on the plane of a man important in science?

The position on the plane of a man is important in science because it allows for accurate and precise measurements and observations. It also helps in understanding the relationships between objects and their surroundings, which is crucial in many scientific fields such as geography, ecology, and physics.

4. How does the position on the plane of a man change over time?

The position on the plane of a man can change over time due to various factors, such as movement, growth, or external forces. For example, a man walking on a map will have a different position at different times, and a plant growing in a garden will have a different position as it gets bigger.

5. Can the position on the plane of a man be accurately measured?

Yes, the position on the plane of a man can be accurately measured using precise instruments and techniques. However, there may be some limitations and errors in measurement, such as in cases where the man is moving or the environment is constantly changing.