Positioning of Resistors in Series

In summary: Well... I can visualize it, and the two inductors would then be perpendicular to each other, so I would assume the fields have less interference, and perhaps it's something to do with the interaction of the poles when they are at right angles, I'm just trying to think here without looking it up, I know when two fields interact, the top field is stronger than the one below it... so perhaps when they are at right angles, the field of the horizontal facing inductor will have a lesser effect, as the two fields are moving in the same direction above... not sure, sorry!
Richie Smash
Hi, I'm aware that the total resistance in a series connection is the sum of all the resistors involved, and that the current is the same throughout, and that the voltage will be different for each resistor but the total voltage will be their sum as well.

However, I would like to inquire, does changing the POSITION of the resistors, somehow change the total resistance?

(Still in introductory physics)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Richie Smash said:
does changing the POSITION of the resistors, somehow change the total resistance?

No.

Likes Richie Smash
Richie Smash said:
Hi, I'm aware that the total resistance in a series connection is the sum of all the resistors involved, and that the current is the same throughout, and that the voltage will be different for each resistor but the total voltage will be their sum as well.

However, I would like to inquire, does changing the POSITION of the resistors, somehow change the total resistance?

(Still in introductory physics)
As anorlunda says, with resistors the answer would generally be no. One exception might be if they were oriented vertically so that the heat from the bottom resistor heated up the top resistor via convection more or less depending on the power dissipation of each resistor. But that would be an extreme corner case, with an extremely small effect, I think.

It's good that you ask such questions while you are learning. The answer for inductors in general is quite different. Can you say why the positions and orientations of two inductors in series (or even in parallel) can affect the inductance of each and the total inductance? :smile:

Likes cnh1995
berkeman said:
As anorlunda says, with resistors the answer would generally be no. One exception might be if they were oriented vertically so that the heat from the bottom resistor heated up the top resistor via convection more or less depending on the power dissipation of each resistor. But that would be an extreme corner case, with an extremely small effect, I think.

It's good that you ask such questions while you are learning. The answer for inductors in general is quite different. Can you say why the positions and orientations of two inductors in series (or even in parallel) can affect the inductance of each and the total inductance? :smile:

Well I only just briefly read about inductors, but I would say the positions matter because they store energy in the form of a magnetic field, and according to Fleming's left and right hand rules, the force, current and magnetic fields are at right angles to each other, so I would think this is why orientation is important.

Richie Smash said:
Well I only just briefly read about inductors, but I would say the positions matter because they store energy in the form of a magnetic field, and according to Fleming's left and right hand rules, the force, current and magnetic fields are at right angles to each other, so I would think this is why orientation is important.
Good. Depending on the construction technique used in the inductor, there can be some of the internal magnetic field that leaks out and can couple to nearby inductors. So when using multiple inductors in a circuit, the spacing and orientations can be very important (to get the inductances you want). You can use shielded inductors, but they are more expensive than their unshielded versions.

When you have to place 2 inductors close to each other, often it's a good idea to orient them at right angles to each other. Can you say why this may help to mitigate the parasitic B-field coupling between them?

https://thumb9.shutterstock.com/dis...conductor-made-of-a-copper-wire-474690208.jpg
-field-of-a-current-carrying-coil-electromagnetic-coil-conductor-made-of-a-copper-wire-474690208.jpg

Attachments

• -field-of-a-current-carrying-coil-electromagnetic-coil-conductor-made-of-a-copper-wire-474690208.jpg
    -field-of-a-current-carrying-coil-electromagnetic-coil-conductor-made-of-a-copper-wire-474690208.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 832
Likes cnh1995
berkeman said:
Good. Depending on the construction technique used in the inductor, there can be some of the internal magnetic field that leaks out and can couple to nearby inductors. So when using multiple inductors in a circuit, the spacing and orientations can be very important (to get the inductances you want). You can use shielded inductors, but they are more expensive than their unshielded versions.

When you have to place 2 inductors close to each other, often it's a good idea to orient them at right angles to each other. Can you say why this may help to mitigate the parasitic B-field coupling between them?

https://thumb9.shutterstock.com/dis...conductor-made-of-a-copper-wire-474690208.jpg
View attachment 218106

Well... I can visualize it, and the two inductors would then be perpendicular to each other, so I would assume the fields have less interference, and perhaps it's something to do with the interaction of the poles when they are at right angles, I'm just trying to think here without looking it up, I know when two fields interact, the top field is stronger than the one below it... so perhaps when they are at right angles, the field of the horizontal facing inductor will have a lesser effect, as the two fields are moving in the same direction above perhaps...

Richie Smash said:
Well... I can visualize it, and the two inductors would then be perpendicular to each other, so I would assume the fields have less interference, and perhaps it's something to do with the interaction of the poles when they are at right angles, I'm just trying to think here without looking it up, I know when two fields interact, the top field is stronger than the one below it... so perhaps when they are at right angles, the field of the horizontal facing inductor will have a lesser effect, as the two fields are moving in the same direction above perhaps...
It's mainly that the B-field from each inductor pierces the other inductor at mostly a right angle, and what doesn't go through at a right angle cancels out, so there is no net coupling from one coil to the other. If they are in the shape of a "T", then half of the B-field from the bottom inductor goes one way through the top coil, and the other half of the B-field goes the other way through the top coil. :smile:

Likes Richie Smash
Richie Smash said:

Addition is "commutative" so the order doesn't matter. For example 1+2+3+4 = 3+4+1+2 = 10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commutative_property

Likes Windadct and FactChecker

1. How are resistors positioned in series?

In a series circuit, resistors are positioned one after another in a single loop, with one end of each resistor connected to the next. This creates a single path for the current to flow through each resistor in the circuit.

2. What is the purpose of positioning resistors in series?

Positioning resistors in series allows for a larger overall resistance in the circuit, as the resistors add together to create a higher total resistance. This can be useful in controlling the flow of current and voltage in a circuit.

3. Can resistors be positioned in series with other components?

Yes, resistors can be positioned in series with other components such as capacitors, inductors, and other resistors. This can create more complex circuits with different levels of resistance and current flow.

4. How does positioning resistors in series affect the voltage in a circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage is divided between each resistor. This means that the voltage across each resistor will be less than the total voltage of the circuit. The larger the resistance of a resistor, the more voltage it will use up.

5. Are there any limitations to positioning resistors in series?

One limitation of positioning resistors in series is that the total resistance of the circuit cannot be lower than the value of the smallest resistor. Additionally, adding too many resistors in series can create a high overall resistance, which can limit the flow of current in the circuit.