Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possible Brain Scanner Invention?

1. Sep 14, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I am not sure where I should be posting this, so if this is the wrong section, can a moderator please move it?

Right.
    I have become rather fascinated with the worlds technology and physics.

Now, if you've ever heard of lucid dreaming and i'm sure many of you have.
    I lucid dream often, dreaming of inventing new technology.

Lately, and for an unknown reason I have been lucid dreaming of one of many inventions I have created within my little world.

Which is, ah, like some type of brain scanner.
    Scanning and syncing the knowledge laying within the brain which the knowledge can then be (copied and) transferred to another being, giving that being the knowledge that the other being compromised.

My question to you is, would this be possible to create?
    Possibly syncing someones knowledge (eg; A very knowledgeable physicist which you'd like to gain his/her knowledge of physics without having to study/get a degree) and it being transported into a chip of some sort which can then be inserted into the brain or socket which would be invented to support the chip.

I'm interested to hear what use think.

(No, this wouldn't erase the knowledge from ones brain, no, I do not plan on inventing such a thing I am just open-minded and curious).

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2013 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

We don't know exactly how the brain works, so it is difficult to say.

4. Sep 16, 2013 #3

Mk

I've been thinking about this a lot too.

Of course it is possible to create. The first step, in my opinion, is to make casual home use easier and more common. This puts more people on a common ground that is raised toward the achievement of practical brain interfacing technologies.

For instance, fundraising has been successful for this second generation home EEG that connects to your smartphone or iPad.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tanttle/emotiv-insight-optimize-your-brain-fitness-and-per

The more we get kids to see the operation of these devices intuitively, the closer we will get to true direct and rich brain:brain communication.

In my opinion also, is the importance of blending virtual and natural worlds, which I think will come first. Imagine holding a video camera that had hardware and software in it that could interpret a natural world into a live 3D model varying in time? As you were running through a forest of trees, the camera could model the trees as three dimensional objects moving in time just like your brain does. This will allow artificial intelligence to interface with our natural world in a truly organic way.

In brain to brain communication, I think we will find that the most natural way to do it for humans will be to let a computer system interpret a person's internal experiences and then send the interpreted signal to a virtual reality environment for the receiving human. For example see the Gallant lab semiotic mapping + fMRI studies here:
    http://gallantlab.org/

If a computer system can translate your semiotic mapping into another person's semiotic mapping, you can create a form a communication that is transcendent of language... direct semiotic mapping. Input will come encoded in a 4-dimensional visual field and sound. Perhaps in the future we will even be able to add extra proteins to our eyes to "stretch" our octave of color perception, or maybe we can help old people grow back their sound transducing cilia?

It is also secondarily possible (possible! mere speculation...) that a person who has developed control over his brainwaves will be able to "help" a second person to learn to control their brainwaves faster... through some form of communication, or maybe a game. Meditation is the word given to control of the mind on the grossest levels.

For instance see this video:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook