Can Analytical Mechanics Substitute for Intro to Mechanical Systems in EE?

• Courses
  • Thread starter leright
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary: Thats not the issue. The issue is the curricula. Analytical mechanics and mechanical systems are going to cover quite different material, and I doubt the engineering department would let you substitute. Engineering is about specific applications to specific problems, physics is about general solutions to general problems.
leright
I am a double major in physics and EE and I am wondering about possible course substitutions to create more overlap in my dual major. I am NOT doing this to reduce the number of credit hours I need to take in order to graduate as I plan on taking the same amt of credits regardless of whether there is overlap or not. I am doing this to give myself the chance to take classes that are more in line with my career goals.

Now, my question is whether or not you think an analytical mechanics course could substitute for a intro to mechanical systems for EEs course. I realize the courses are not really all that similar in their goal, but I hope it is reasonable for this substitution to be made. I am also curious whether or not the thermal physics course could substitute for the intro to thermal systems for EEs course.

In doing this, I would give myself the chance to take some other physics classes that I am interested in, such as nuclear physics.

Below are the course descriptions for mechanical systems, analytical mechanics, thermal systems and thermal physics.

mechanical systems: Exposes non-mechanical engineering students to the principles of engineering mechanics. Dynamics, strength of materials, gears, and vibrations.

analytical mechanics: A study of Newton's laws of motion applied to particles and systems, with an emphasis on velocity-dependent forces, forced/free/damped oscillations, accelerated/rotating systems, gravitational forces, and Lagrangian.
4.000 Credit Hours

thermal systems: The principles of engineering thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer. Conservation of mass and energy, brief topical coverage of the second law of thermodynamics, thermodynamic cycles, hydraulics, flow losses, coefficients of drag, and heat exchanges.

thermal physics:Logical discussion of entropy, temperature, the Boltzman factor, the chemical potential, the Gibbs factor, distribution functions, semiconductor statistics, hear and work. Lecture 3 hrs.

I know the physics courses will be more interesting than the engineering courses for sure, and if the chair will allow for this overlap I will have more chances to take more physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone have advice?

I think you should talk to both department chairs (EE and Physics) about replacing the courses. IMHO, I don't think they will let you make the substitution. It sounds to me like you are more interested in physics anyways, why don't you major in physics? Then you can take all the physics courses you want w/o these problems.

unit_circle said:
I think you should talk to both department chairs (EE and Physics) about replacing the courses. IMHO, I don't think they will let you make the substitution. It sounds to me like you are more interested in physics anyways, why don't you major in physics? Then you can take all the physics courses you want w/o these problems.

because I've already taken a ton of engineering courses, and I am interested in EE in general...I am just not that interested in these particular eng classes.

anyone else?

leright said:
anyone else?

Almost definitely not in the case of mechanics. MAYBE for thermal, but I really wouldn't count on it.

franznietzsche said:
Almost definitely not in the case of mechanics. MAYBE for thermal, but I really wouldn't count on it.

Well, I'll bring it up with the advisors in both the EE and physics departments. It might be more likely that they will do the substitution if I agree to take another engineering elective or physics class. I am not asking for ths substitution to reduce the number of classes I need to take...I am doing it to get the opportunity to take some classes that are more in line with what I would like to do.

leright said:
Well, I'll bring it up with the advisors in both the EE and physics departments. It might be more likely that they will do the substitution if I agree to take another engineering elective or physics class. I am not asking for ths substitution to reduce the number of classes I need to take...I am doing it to get the opportunity to take some classes that are more in line with what I would like to do.
Thats not the issue. The issue is the curricula. Analytical mechanics and mechanical systems are going to cover quite different material, and I doubt the engineering department would let you substitute. Engineering is about specific applications to specific problems, physics is about general solutions to general problems. If physics is more inline with what you would like to do, then you should probably be switching majors, not trying to substitute classes.

FAQ: Can Analytical Mechanics Substitute for Intro to Mechanical Systems in EE?

1. What is a possible course substitution?

A possible course substitution is when a student requests to substitute a required course for an alternative course that fulfills similar learning objectives. This is typically done to accommodate a student's individual interests, needs, or circumstances.

2. How do I know if a course substitution is allowed?

You can check with your academic advisor or the department offering the course to see if substitutions are allowed. Some schools may have a specific process or form that needs to be filled out in order to request a course substitution.

3. What are the benefits of a course substitution?

A course substitution can allow a student to explore a topic in more depth, fulfill a prerequisite for another course, or accommodate a scheduling conflict. It can also provide a personalized learning experience tailored to a student's interests and goals.

4. Are there any limitations to course substitutions?

Yes, there may be limitations such as a maximum number of course substitutions allowed, or certain courses that cannot be substituted for specific requirements. It is important to check with your school and department to understand the guidelines and limitations for course substitutions.

5. How do I request a course substitution?

The process for requesting a course substitution may vary depending on your school and department. Typically, you will need to fill out a form or submit a written request to your academic advisor or the department offering the course. Be sure to provide a rationale for the substitution and any supporting documentation if necessary.