Is My Junior Year Course Load Too Much?

In summary, the junior is considering switching out of a theoretical physics course because it might be too much work for them. They are also considering another course that they are interested in.
SJay16
Was just wondering if this course load is too much for a junior, I’m aware everyone is different, but let’s generalize the case.
15 credits;
Quantum mechanics
Statistical mechanics
Methods of Theoretical physics
Partial differential equations w/applications
Geography elective

I am afraid that the theoretical physics course may push me over threshold of my limit, but it is my last chance to take the course and I’m extremely interesting in theoretical physics. If I switch it out, I’d be switching it for a medical physics and radiation safety class, which I’m also almost as interested in, except it’ll be much much easier.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks like a fairly standard course load to me... 4 STEM courses and an elective to round out the semester. But a lot can depend on your specific circumstances. It's one thing to do that when it's the only thing you have to concentrate on. It's another if you have to balance it with a part-time job, family obligations, health issues to deal with, etc. And you know better than we do what kind of course load you'll perform best under.

Don't psyche yourself out of taking a course that you really want to take. Sure, it might be a lot of work. But what are you at university for in the first place?

The other piece of advice is not to necessarily assume that another course is going to be "much much easier." Conceptually sure, the course material may be a lot more straight forward, but I've seen a lot of people over the years end up in a world of hurt because they've assumed that something is going to be easy and then get burned when they realize it isn't, and then they're stuck taking a tough course that they didn't even want to take in the first place.

Likes SJay16
The pre-requisites for the methods of theoretical physics are Modern physics, multivariable calc, DE’s, and Intermediate classical mechanics, which I have all of , but I’m still wondering if I’m ill equipped.

1. Is it normal for my junior year course load to feel overwhelming?

It is common for junior year to feel overwhelming due to the increased difficulty and rigor of courses. However, it is important to evaluate your course load and make sure it is manageable for your individual abilities and schedule.

2. How many courses should I take during my junior year?

The number of courses you take during your junior year will vary depending on your academic goals, extracurricular commitments, and personal abilities. It is recommended to take a challenging course load, but not to the point of overwhelming yourself.

3. Will taking too many courses during my junior year hurt my chances for college admissions?

It is important to challenge yourself academically during your junior year, as it is a crucial year for college admissions. However, it is also important to maintain a balance and not take on more courses than you can handle. Colleges will also consider the difficulty of your course load, so it is important to choose courses that align with your academic strengths and interests.

4. Should I drop a course if I am struggling with my junior year course load?

If you are struggling with your junior year course load, it is important to first discuss your concerns with your guidance counselor or academic advisor. They can provide guidance and support in determining if dropping a course is the best option for you. Keep in mind that dropping a course may have an impact on your overall academic record and college admissions.

5. How can I manage my junior year course load effectively?

To effectively manage your junior year course load, it is important to prioritize your time and responsibilities. Create a schedule and stick to it, make use of study groups or tutoring services if needed, and communicate with your teachers if you are struggling. It is also important to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout.