Possible Explanations To Fermi's Paradox?

• Thread starter Gold Barz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paradox
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of alien civilizations and whether or not we are alone in the galaxy. The participants mention a book that speculates on the topic, but conclude that definitive answers are not available. Some believe that intelligent life may be rare and that there are barriers to interstellar travel, while others argue that advanced civilizations may be too advanced for us to even recognize. The conversation also touches on the Drake Equation, which attempts to estimate the number of extraterrestrial civilizations, and the importance of ethical behavior in the survival of a species. Ultimately, the conversation ends with no definitive conclusion, but the participants agree that it is an interesting topic to think about.
Personally, I believe that the Fermi Paradox is not a paradox at all. I believe it to be an extremely simplistic answer(sarcastic too) to an all to important question. "Are we alone in the universe?" Fermi simply couldn't believe in the possibility of extraterrestrial life, hence the question. Extraterrestrial life has and is possibly visiting us right now. The desire to deny the existence of a thing has no bearing on whether or not it does. Our world is still home to an altogether too violent a species. Certainly not worthy of benign extraterrestrial contact. It could also be that some extraterrestrials have no interest in us as a neighboring species. No thread of kinship exists, because we are like ants on the evolutionary scale. They may not wish to tip the balance of power in favor of one faction over another. This could result in the destruction of their favorite experiment(possibly)us. Maybe, heaven forbid, there is an even more sinister side to the equation and we're better off not knowing. There are a multitude of logical answers to Fermis Paradox, you simply have to think about it. If you want to.

Rouellet

Astronomy news on Phys.org
turbo-1 said:
It's a sobering (actually depressing) thought, but in our society the motivations and efforts of decent ethical people can be undone by those who lust only for power and control. These maniacs realize that through lies, manipulation, etc, they can acquire the means to destroy life, destroy societies, etc. Usually, they fill their rhetoric with words like "freedom", "liberty", and "security", while they work very hard to deny these things to entire classes of people, sometimes entire societies. Eventually, careless use or intentional use of the destructive capabilities controlled by these sociopaths may spell the end for the human race. For this reason, the Drake equation should contain a term for the ethics of the intelligent species. In a truly ethical society, all life would be valued and individuals would act in a manner consistent with the Golden Rule.

I'm sure the distances involved is a big factor, but I often wonder if it is our lack of predictability that precludes other intelligent species from seeking contact with the human race. We have a very bad habit of putting little or noemphasis on life even among our own race, not to mention what we do to other forms of life on this planet. I think another intelligent species would be very reluctant to reveal themselves to the human species. From their perspective, it would be like playing a game of Russian Roulette.

Taking up Turbo's point given our track record if we did make contact with another species how long would it be, if we sussed them out and found they were militarily inferior to us, before we enslaved and otherwise exploited them. I'd say there are many civilizations in the 'new' world who wish to god they had ran and hid when the first european explorers arrived. Perhaps the reason we can't find alien lifeforms is because they are trying very hard not to be found :biggrin:

We have plenty of intelligent lifeforms on this planet such as dolphins and whales and look how we treat them; not to mention how we treat one another.

Last edited by a moderator: