1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possible Levitation?

1. Sep 19, 2007 #1
    Hello All,

I stumbled across this video:

http://shizzville.com/make-your-own-levitation-device [Broken]

In which someone claims to make a fully functional levitation device.
    I tried it with a slightly newer phone and, (as expected) I couldn't replicate it.

Although this is probably a fake, is there any legitimacy to it?
    From a little research, I understand that CDs have an aluminum coating and the soda can is obviously aluminum. Does the phone theoretically make the battery "think" it is being used in a system via the electromagnetic waves it emits? But then how would the soda can work?

Or is this all nonsense since it's completely phony?

I just had to ask. :smile:

Any and all help/feedback is much appreciated in advance.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think he missed out the step where you need 2 lengths of nylon thread and a friend standign out of shot.

4. Sep 19, 2007 #3
    Hey I was just about to start a new thread asking about this so called "hutchison effect".
    It seems like a big fraud to me but has anyone done any simple experiments relating to this at all? By that I mean ones that your average Physics student can do with out NASA or something of that sort backing them.

I remember seeing some kind of suposed aluminum foil covered gliders. They were only about the size of a human hand but still. Any infromation on Huchison effect or propoltion or material munipulation using electricity would be apprishiated.

Oh yeah I already know about Magnetic shape memory metal if you have not heared of this you should check it out. VERY COOL

5. Sep 20, 2007 #4
    After watching the video I could find any number of reasons for the trickery but a dime is used on the playing card. Since a dime is not magnetic how is the opposing magnetic field induced? This is also assuming that the phone is in transmit mode. I admit I have been fooled many times but if he had used a steel 1943 penny instead of a dime I may have believed it.

One time many years ago in a bar in National City, California, a fellow shipmate would eat a beer glass for money. We were all amazed by this feat and assumed he would suffer intolerable body damage. Later on I found out he was in cahoots with the bartender and the glass was made of sugar.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  6. Sep 20, 2007 #5

J77

Who has a mobile phone with an external aerial?

It's 2007, not 1987.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook