Possible mistake during differentiation? Please check

In summary: Let's take a look at what you have so far:You are correct in that the quotient rule requires you to divide by the square of the denominator. However, in this case, you are dividing by 2, which is the square of 1.
Dominathan
For a function f(x), I have to determine intervals of increase/decrease, find local max(s)/min(s), and find intervals of concavity. The first thing I'm doing in this is to write out f'(x) and f''(x).

f(x) = [itex]ln(x)/\sqrt{x}[/itex]

For f'(x), I used the quotient rule and received f'(x) = (([itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex])-([itex]\frac{-\sqrt{x}}{2}[/itex]ln(x))) / 2

However, I plugged f(x) into wolfram alpha and it gave me: [itex]\frac{2-ln(x)}{2x^{3/2}}[/itex]

I don't understand the difference? I thought I had done this correctly but apparently not? Wolfram alpha used the product rule. Is there some kind of algebraic gymnastics I'm forgetting about? I really want to understand where my error was made, not just which is the correct answer. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In using the quotient rule you are not differentiating [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] corretly and the quotient rule requires you to divide by the square of the denominator.

Dominathan said:
f(x) = [itex]ln(x)/\sqrt{x}[/itex]

For f'(x), I used the quotient rule and received f'(x) = (([itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex])-([itex]\frac{-\sqrt{x}}{2}[/itex]ln(x))) / 2

I see a couple of issues here:

1) How did you get [itex]\frac{-\sqrt{x}}{2}[/itex] in the numerator? What is the derivative of [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] ?

2) How did you get 2 in the denominator? [itex](\sqrt{x})^{2} = [/itex] ?

Using quotient rule, you should get [itex]\frac{\frac{\sqrt{x}}{x} - \frac{\ln{x}}{2 \sqrt{x}}}{x}[/itex] which simplifies to what you got from WA. It looks like you messed up on the derivative of [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] and on the bottom of the quotient rule. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotient_rule

gb7nash said:
I see a couple of issues here:

1) How did you get [itex]\frac{-\sqrt{x}}{2}[/itex] in the numerator? What is the derivative of [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] ?2) How did you get 2 in the denominator? [itex](\sqrt{x})^{2} = [/itex] ?

The following is my logic for the answer I received:
  1. [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] = x[itex]^{1/2}[/itex]
  2. Using the power rule I bring the 1/2 out as a coefficient, and subtract one from the numerator : [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]x^{-1/2}[/itex]
  3. I simplified to : [itex]\frac{-\sqrt{x}}{2}[/itex]

My bad! I did a poor job transcribing it from my notebook to the syntax used on this site. It was (obviously) my first post, but far from my last! I meant to put "x" as the denominator, that was a mental slip.

Welcome to the PhysicsForums! One may sometimes swallow some water but that is the way to learns to swim!

1. What is differentiation and why is it important?

Differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function. It is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and make predictions based on its rate of change.

2. How can a mistake occur during the differentiation process?

A mistake can occur during differentiation if there is an error in the initial function or if the rules of differentiation are not applied correctly. Mistakes can also occur due to human error or computational errors.

3. What are some common mistakes to watch out for during differentiation?

Some common mistakes during differentiation include forgetting to apply the chain rule, forgetting to use the product rule or quotient rule, and making computational errors such as incorrect algebraic manipulations.

4. How can I check if I made a mistake during differentiation?

To check for mistakes during differentiation, you can use the reverse process of integration to see if you get back to the original function. You can also use graphing software to plot both the original function and the differentiated function to compare them.

5. How can I avoid making mistakes during differentiation?

To avoid making mistakes during differentiation, it is important to have a strong understanding of the rules of differentiation and to double check your work for any computational errors. It is also helpful to practice regularly and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed.