1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possibly the hardest limit question i have ever come across.

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    b]1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]
    F(x) = lim csct - cscx find the value of f '(pi/4) ( f prime pi/4)
    t-->x t - x

(the denominator is screwed up. it should be t-->x for the limit and t-x for the denominator, but you guys probably already guess that. )

2. Relevant equations
    i dont know. perhaprs first principles. please avoid l'hopitals rule for even i can do that haha. I dont know what im not seeing, i just cant approach the question.

3. The attempt at a solution
    iv tried hundreds of things. the first thing i tried was multiplying top and bottom by conjugates to see if i could work out something with that. the second thing i tried was changing csc in to its primitive for 1/sinx and finding a lowest common denominator and using fraction rules. the next thing i tried was separating the top and bottom into functions of their own... that just threw me into a brick wall. please if someone can give me a starting point i would appreciate it soooooo much!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do change csc(x) into 1/sin(x) and rearrange it. I'm guessing you probably know the limit of (sin(t)-sin(x))/(t-x). Use that.

4. Oct 6, 2008 #3
    you are completely right, i could find a solution that way if i was to use l'hopital's rule
    in the ladder part, after all conversions and reductions have been made. however
    i am tending away from his rule because i am in first year calculus and want to
    grasp the "primitive" way of completing the question.

5. Oct 6, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(sin(t)-sin(x))/(t-x) is a difference quotient for the derivative of the sine function. To do that in a "primitive" way, write it as the limit of (sin(x+h)-sin(x))/h as h->0 and use the trig addition rule. Then use some other "primitive" stuff like lim sin(h)/h=1 as h->0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?