Post your recipes, cuisines, dishes and dining experiences

  • Thread starter Thread starter arunbg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Evo Food Thread
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5,074 replies · 814K views
Jasongreat said:
That sounds like an awesome sandwich shop, do you do mail order requests?
I can pass your contact information on to Tracy, if you wish. I don't know if she will ship. She's a great fan of "cut it fresh", "make it now", and "get it out the door". Her sandwiches are fantastic.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
turbo-1 said:
Tracy does a good job on subs that feature meat, and she really packs them. My wife had a meatball sub tonight with tomato sauce, and it looked and smelled fantastic. Tracy and her husband make all their own sausages, and smoke hams, bacon, etc, in their own smoke-house. It's hard to beat that. If you order a BLT at her shop, the bacon was smoked in their own smoke-house, and the vegetables came in fresh daily, as did the rolls. That's a lot better than ordering a sandwich at a supermarket.
That's a common misconception. Anyone can smoke their own meat doesn't mean it's anything special. This deli uses award winning meats and cheeses.

The greatest thing is finding great food at incredible prices where you'd least expect it. Like the deli at a grocery store or the counter at a gas station. These are the places that amazing foods are being discovered. You just need to realize that it doesn't have to be some specialty boutique.

Down the road from here, the gas station owner sets up a smokepit in the parking lot during the summer and makes the best smoked meat.
 
turbo-1 said:
Aghhh! Now you're doing it! One of my pet peeves!

Hey, I was doing it before that little... woman... had a show, never mind "isms". Plus, it's fun to tweak you! :biggrin:
 
Evo said:
That's a common misconception. Anyone can smoke their own meat doesn't mean it's anything special. This deli uses award winning meats and cheeses.

The greatest thing is finding great food at incredible prices where you'd least expect it. Like the deli at a grocery store or the counter at a gas station. These are the places that amazing foods are being discovered. You just need to realize that it doesn't have to be some specialty boutique.

Down the road from here, the gas station owner sets up a smokepit in the parking lot during the summer and makes the best smoked meat.
No misconception here. The Kniffens have produced superior smoked meats for decades. This is not a fad. Their whole life is built around their smoking and butcher shop and retail establishment. They are good people trying to do their best at serving local needs for decent foods. There is no place here where you can access a local deli or a food-counter at a gas-station that has equivalent foods. You can assert that all day long, but that does not make that true here.

Some people put their hearts and their lives into their work. When their work is food, I pay attention because that was brought up that way.
 
turbo-1 said:
No misconception here. The Kniffens have produced superior smoked meats for decades. This is not a fad. Their whole life is built around their smoking and butcher shop and retail establishment. They are good people trying to do their best at serving local needs for decent foods. There is no place here where you can access a local deli or a food-counter at a gas-station that has equivalent foods. You can assert that all day long, but that does not make that true here.

Some people put their hearts and their lives into their work. When their work is food, I pay attention because that was brought up that way.
I'm sure they are great. But that doesn't mean that the deli's I go to for 1/3 the cost aren't just as great. :smile: There are some things i'll pay more for if it's warranted. Plus, I realize that things must cost a lot more up where you are. You send me one of yours and I'll send you one of mine.
 
Last edited:
Evo said:
I'm sure they are great. But that doesn't mean that the deli's I go to for 1/3 the cost aren't just as great. :smile: There are some things i'll pay more for if it's warranted. Plus, I realize that things must cost a lot more up where you are. You send me one of yours and I'll send you one of mine.

That won't work since your both biased, why don't you both send me one, an impartial judge, and I will decide. :wink:
 
Jasongreat said:
That won't work since your both biased, why don't you both send me one, an impartial judge, and I will decide. :wink:
Sounds like a good idea.
 
Here you go. This woman is a killer. You want food? She is full-on food. You want a combination pizza that weights over 6 pounds? You can't get that at pizza hut.

http://www.svweekly.com/joom1511/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4674:kniffins-is-smokin-again&catid=6:business&Itemid=177
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I want the corned beef sandwich at Carnegie Deli, in NY. OMG.

[PLAIN]http://http.cdnlayer.com/smoola/00/00/a5/c67522d27fed1a3c_m.jpg

Open since 1937 a landmark.

http://www.carnegiedeli.com/home.php
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
I want the corned beef sandwich at Carnegie Deli, in NY. OMG.

[PLAIN]http://http.cdnlayer.com/smoola/00/00/a5/c67522d27fed1a3c_m.jpg

Open since 1937 a landmark.

http://www.carnegiedeli.com/home.php

Meeeeemmmmmoooooorrriiiiieeeessssss...

I was eating a hot pastrami sammy there, with a giant garlic pickle, about 2 months ago. The Carnegie never changes, so loosen up those jaws because it never should change. The only problem is that too many people ignore the huge number of much less known delis that litter the landscape. I recommend just eating all cured meats you can find... you know... to be safe. :biggrin:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, tip: save your leftover sandwich, or buy an extra... then use the corned beef or pastrami the next day in some homemade hash, or a scramble. YUM.
 
nismaratwork said:
Weird looking thing isn't it? Tell you what, how about I ship you a tonne of Durian Fruits instead? :devil:
I'll pass.
 
Evo said:
I'll pass.

Wasn't an offer...
smiley_psychotic_sticker-p217586278362347030qjcl_400.jpg
 
Evo said:
I want the corned beef sandwich at Carnegie Deli, in NY. OMG.

[PLAIN]http://http.cdnlayer.com/smoola/00/00/a5/c67522d27fed1a3c_m.jpg

Open since 1937 a landmark.

http://www.carnegiedeli.com/home.php

*drool*

If corned beef is Jewish cuisine's answer to ham...it's a pretty good answer!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Right? I swear, I just typed, "psychotic smiley" into google, hit images, and that sucker popped up. I'm so in love... :!)
 
lisab said:
*drool*

If corned beef is Jewish cuisine's answer to ham...it's a pretty good answer!

It's the answer to everything that mother and chicken soup cannot cure. :wink:
 
Evo said:
I found a fun little educational site on the science of cooking. I thought I'd share. It's the Accidental Scientist - Science of Cooking series.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/webcasts/index.html

For those of you that are thinking of baking bread, or just curious, click on the Bread video at the link below, lots of fun facts. The audience does actually come alive toward the end of the clip, I was worried .for a while. :-p

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/webcasts/bread_cast.html
Peer Reviewed cooking now? :biggrin:
 
dlgoff said:
Peer Reviewed cooking now? :biggrin:

Indeed, I demand that everyone send me their food so that I can give it an independent and fair *burp*... analysis.
 
Anyone like white navy beans? My dad loved them and would make them whenever he was home. I never cared for them as they have a very bland taste.

I'm trying to find something *different* from my normal ham hocks and bean soup and found a recipe for navy beans with hocks, or should I do black eyed peas or green split pea soup?
 
Evo said:
Anyone like white navy beans? My dad loved them and would make them whenever he was home. I never cared for them as they have a very bland taste.

I'm trying to find something *different* from my normal ham hocks and bean soup and found a recipe for navy beans with hocks, or should I do black eyed peas or green split pea soup?

I LOVE white navy beans! I like to cook them and make a warm salad (works chilled), with sliced onion, tomatos, cucumber, and anything else I can find, with oil, vinegar, salt, pepper.

I think you may find that if you allow the beans to really soak up the ham-fat, they'll be more along the lines of what you want. That said... slit pea is pretty terrific in this kind of weather...
 
Evo said:
Anyone like white navy beans? My dad loved them and would make them whenever he was home. I never cared for them as they have a very bland taste.

I'm trying to find something *different* from my normal ham hocks and bean soup and found a recipe for navy beans with hocks, or should I do black eyed peas or green split pea soup?

Ham with pease pudding is a classic combination and very tasty.It goes well with a fried egg,onion chutney and crusty bread.
 
Dadface said:
Ham with pease pudding is a classic combination and very tasty.It goes well with a fried egg,onion chutney and crusty bread.

Oh god, that' so good! I sometimes sub cannelloni beans and "deconstruct", but nothing beats the classics. Bread and soup are a perfect combination... the rest makes it even better.
 
Evo said:
I'm trying to find something *different* from my normal ham hocks and bean soup and found a recipe for navy beans with hocks, or should I do black eyed peas or green split pea soup?
Try to find whole yellow peas. They soak up less water, so you end up with soup instead of thick "glop". Put the peas in a pan of cool water and bring to a boil, then shut off the burner and let them sit, covered. When the peas are al dente, add chopped carrots, chopped onions, minced garlic and diced ham or bacon and salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until you can't stand waiting any more. If you have crusty home-made bread, that will top off the meal.
 
I don't have yellow peas and there is a snowstorm, so Nismar wins this round with navy beans.

I am making the famous Senate Bean Soup.

The Famous Senate Restaurant Bean Soup Recipe

2 pounds dried navy beans

four quarts hot water

1 1/2 pounds smoked ham hocks

1 onion, chopped

2 tablespoons butter

salt and pepper to taste

Wash the navy beans and run hot water through them until they are slightly whitened. Place beans into pot with hot water. Add ham hocks and simmer approximately three hours in a covered pot, stirring occasionally. Remove ham hocks and set aside to cool. Dice meat and return to soup. Lightly brown the onion in butter. Add to soup. Before serving, bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Serves 8.

http://www.senate.gov/reference/reference_item/bean_soup.htm
 
Last edited by a moderator: