Post your recipes, cuisines, dishes and dining experiences

  • Thread starter Thread starter arunbg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Evo Food Thread
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5,074 replies · 814K views
ThomasT said:
I recently blamed them for a flat tire.

You are on a ROLL! (no pun). Frankly, I'm willing to blamed them for poor air quality and herpes if it comes ot that.

ThomasT said:
You might want to add that to the Wonka Wiki.

Wonka was a legendary patissier, and somewhat strange, but apparently against cannabalism:

:smile:

You seem to be in a much improved mood lately, its good to see. Still, where do you think they discovered "snozzberry"? Wonka's left armpit.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jasongreat said:
Thats a very loose definition of meat, imo.

and a loose definition of bread too!
 
HeLiXe said:
and a loose definition of bread too!

Great frisbees in a pinch if you let them dry.

edit: That center slice is IDEAL
 
Evo said:
I can't see combining the two textures.
unrelated question Evo...do you like warm and cold together? I looooove the paradise pie from chili's...particularly when they used to serve it in a cast iron skillet.
nismaratwork said:
Ohhh... I would love to taste whatever a 7 star chef makes... I think if you die and there IS a heaven... that should be the guy or gal who makes you breakfast!
I wonder if that would be heaven for him/her :-p
 
HeLiXe said:
unrelated question Evo...do you like warm and cold together? I looooove the paradise pie from chili's...particularly when they used to serve it in a cast iron skillet.

I wonder if that would be heaven for him/her :-p

Nope, it's like Louis CK's Dog heaven: cat's pop up at noon, clouds poop steaks, but there's no 'people heaven'. There's no cat heaven, but there's a cat hell, "It's called, 'Dog Heaven'".

*prepares for the wrath of cat-people*
 
HeLiXe said:
unrelated question Evo...do you like warm and cold together? I looooove the paradise pie from chili's...particularly when they used to serve it in a cast iron skillet.
I actually don't have a sweet tooth. I eat a couple of teaspoons of ice cream once a year. I rarely eat deserts, it's usually is given to me and I end up eating it over the course of a few days. :redface:
 
Evo said:
Guys, this isn't the random thoughts thread.

...The clouds pooped steaks

au poivre I presume!

Heh... :blushing:

No sweet tooth? Honestly now, you don't like chocolate?
 
nismaratwork said:
No sweet tooth? Honestly now, you don't like chocolate?
I like dark and bittersweet chocolate, but I hardly ever eat it. Again, if someone gives me some, I'll eat it, but I never have candy in the house, I never think about buying it, but gifts are always welcome!

I admit that once in a blue moon I'll get a craving, and then I might make my super cocoa fudge with pecans. A very dark, not very sweet fudge. you can't buy fudge with that much dark cocoa in it, the fudge at stores is too sweet and not chocolatey enough.
 
Oh dear, The Neeley's, turbo's favorite cooking couple. Gina just explained that MARS Capone (mascarpone) is unique because it's made from special cows that are fed a diet of only herbs and flowers. She said she learned that from some place she visited in Utah. BUWAHAHA

You just can't make this stuff up.

Like Rachel Ray telling people that you need to cook the pork chops on high heat to draw out all of those natural sugars in the meat. <snork>

Hmmm, pork chops - sugars 0

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/pork-products/2155/2

Of course she also said that scallops are full of sugar, uhm no, scallops - sugars 0

Perhaps someone should e-mail Ms Ray about the maillard reaction.

A nonenzymatic chemical reaction involving condensation of an amino group and a reducing group, resulting in the formation of intermediates which ultimately polymerize to form brown pigments (melanoidins). The reaction was named for the French biochemist Louis-Camille Maillard. It is of extreme importance to food chemistry, especially because of its ramifications in terms of food quality. See also Amine; Reactive intermediates.

There are three major stages of the reaction. The first comprises glycosylamine formation and rearrangement N-substituted-1-amino-l-deoxy-2-ketose (Amadori compound). The second phase involves loss of the amine to form carbonyl intermediates, which upon dehydration or fission form highly reactive carbonyl compounds through several pathways. The third phase occurring upon subsequent heating involves the interaction of the carbonyl flavor compounds with other constituents to form brown nitrogen-containing pigments (melanoidins). These are highly desirous compounds in certain foods browned by heating in the presence of oxygen.
I want to hear her explain this to her viewers. :-p

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/maillard-reaction#ixzz1BJNVQOmc
 
Last edited:
Evo said:
I like dark and bittersweet chocolate, but I hardly ever eat it. Again, if someone gives me some, I'll eat it, but I never have candy in the house, I never think about buying it, but gifts are always welcome!

I admit that once in a blue moon I'll get a craving, and then I might make my super cocoa fudge with pecans. A very dark, not very sweet fudge. you can't buy fudge with that much dark cocoa in it, the fudge at stores is too sweet and not chocolatey enough.

Wow... that's pretty unique. Do you ever have issues with hypoglycemia? I have a friend who has the same kind of lack of sweet tooth, and she's not a huge fan of starches... disaster ensues sometimes. I'm sure if that did happen to you, you've solved it by now, and if so... any insight? It would help her.
 
nismaratwork said:
Wow... that's pretty unique. Do you ever have issues with hypoglycemia? I have a friend who has the same kind of lack of sweet tooth, and she's not a huge fan of starches... disaster ensues sometimes. I'm sure if that did happen to you, you've solved it by now, and if so... any insight? It would help her.
I haven't been tested since I was in my early teens, I was diagnosed hypoglycemic, but I've never paid attention to it.
 
Evo do you subject yourself to such food-ignorance as the Neelys and RR? Can't you get movies or reruns of Law and Order or some such? I'd rather have a root canal than subject myself to those fools.

I don't see how they can draw enough of an audience to keep their shows, except cooking shows are ridiculously cheap to produce.
 
Evo said:
I haven't been tested since I was in my early teens, I was diagnosed hypoglycemic, but I've never paid attention to it.

Hmmm... well you'd notice the symptoms if they were present; syncope (fainting), ataxia, loss of fine motor control, irritability, depression, loss of motivation during an acute episode, and in extreme cases death. I just know that last one would be like, a total wake-up call... you know dude? :wink:

turbo-1: That last bit isn't a little thing; you can churn out cooking shows for very little, and there's a predictable targeted advertising involved too.
 
nismaratwork said:
Hmmm... well you'd notice the symptoms if they were present; syncope (fainting), ataxia, loss of fine motor control, irritability, depression, loss of motivation during an acute episode, and in extreme cases death. I just know that last one would be like, a total wake-up call... you know dude? :wink:
I definitely have the symptoms, although I haven't fainted for a year. The year before I fainted several times and did some injury.
 
Evo said:
I definitely have the symptoms, although I haven't fainted for a year. The year before I fainted several times and did some injury.

Hmmm... well, I can't say anything other than, if I had those symptoms, I'd consider some alterations to diet to account for it, and maybe see a doctor.
 
Evo said:
I want to make arepas. I need to find arepa flour, all I have is masa harina. Arepa flour is special and pre-cooked.

This recipe calls for plain masas harina, but I've been told they cannot be made with it. Anyone familiar with arepas?

http://www.grouprecipes.com/74224/venezuelan-cheese-arepas.html

I am, and there's no problem. You won't be able to make as thick an arepa, or quite as "fluffy" as is the Venezuelan intent, but it will still be good. Just go a little heavy on the grilling at first to get some crust and seal the filling: DO NOT PRESS HARD... I did this once.

btw, one word to add to your arepas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicharrón
very traditional, and DELICIOUS. Beans, chicharron, and queso. BIEN!

edit: as you can see, even in the world of Venezuelan arepas (the only ones I'm familiar with) are like pancakes: very regional and personalized.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arepa
 
Found a great website on how to boil eggs.

Got to love the geek factor, the guy graduated from MIT.
It may seem obvious to state this, but it's such an important point in cooking that I'm going to say it anyway: when a mass is exposed to heat for a given period of time, a temperature gradient will form within that mass, with the area closest to the heat source being hottest, and the area furthest from the heat source being coolest. With very few exceptions, the temperature of a given spot in the food is proportional to the inverse square of its distance from the surface exposed to the heat source.
:biggrin:

Anyway, it's a great tutorial about boiling eggs.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/10/the-food-lab-science-of-how-to-cook-perfect-boiled-eggs.html
 
Last edited:
Nice link. My wife and I use the "bring to a simmer and wait for 10 minutes" method using a heavy 1-1/2 quart saucepan. In fact we had hard-boiled eggs last night, chopped and used as a topping (along with walnut pieces) on our baby-spinach salad. With a pan-seared rib-eye, that was a wonderful supper.
 
nismaratwork said:
Great frisbees in a pinch if you let them dry.

edit: That center slice is IDEAL

:smile: ha ha lolol how did I miss this? So true and no mold!
 
HeLiXe said:
:smile: ha ha lolol how did I miss this? So true and no mold!

UNFORTUNATELY... it seems the same is true of the "meat" patty!
 
Wow, I've been on a feta streak for a while now...love it :!)!
 
lisab said:
Wow, I've been on a feta streak for a while now...love it :!)!
I love feta. The salad bar at the grocery store sells it plain and with sundried tomatoes. I like the plain best. I can eat it on anything.
 
Evo said:
I love feta. The salad bar at the grocery store sells it plain and with sundried tomatoes. I like the plain best. I can eat it on anything.
I'm not a fan, but my wife buys a tub of it every week. Scrambled eggs, baked potato, salad? Out comes the feta.
 
lisab said:
Wow, I've been on a feta streak for a while now...love it :!)!

Evo said:
I love feta. The salad bar at the grocery store sells it plain and with sundried tomatoes. I like the plain best. I can eat it on anything.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :!) :!) :!)

500px-Meze.jpg


Greece + USA = http://mideastfood.about.com/od/maindishes/r/fetaburger.htm"

[PLAIN]http://thumbs.ifood.tv/files/images/food/greek-feta-burger-05.jpg
... pssst ... HeLiXe ain't here right? ... :rolleyes:

Guacamole Burger ain't bad either...

2508400423_38cee14b95.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
I definitely have the symptoms, although I haven't fainted for a year. The year before I fainted several times and did some injury.

:bugeye: ... there are $64 "http://www.glucosemeters4u.com/" " on the net ...

onetouchultraeasysmallpic.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator: