Post your recipes, cuisines, dishes and dining experiences

  • Thread starter Thread starter arunbg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Evo Food Thread
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5,074 replies · 819K views
nucleargirl said:
I went on a chocolate buying binge and have malteasers, dark chocolate and daim bars... I want to make an awesome dessert with them! like with cream! but don't know how to incoorporate it... an ideas?

Put about a cup chocolate in a double boiler with some butter and melt down,after melting add some expresso and a little rum and incorporate. In a chill'd stainless bowl whip a pint of heavy cream and after the chocolate mixture has cooled gently fold together. Place in cups, chill for a bit in the fridge, if you can withstand the temptation, then enjoy.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
turbo-1 said:
And O for octopus. Don't you get it basil?! :smile:

:smile: Good one!


... NOW... hand over those scallops! [URL]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/animal/animal0009.gif[/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jasongreat said:
Put about a cup chocolate in a double boiler with some butter and melt down,after melting add some expresso and a little rum and incorporate. In a chill'd stainless bowl whip a pint of heavy cream and after the chocolate mixture has cooled gently fold together. Place in cups, chill for a bit in the fridge, if you can withstand the temptation, then enjoy.

Ganache based mousse?! You're pure evil... tasty evil though.

I'd add, you can put peanuts and almonds in some of the melted mixture before whipping in the cream or adding the butter, and freeze little candies of them. OR... make the ganache, and go for truffles!
 
Mmm! Lunch was lobster salad on fresh French bread. I have another seafood salad made out of the left-over pan-fried scallops. Eventually, I'll have room for another sandwich. There are 4 loaves of artisan-style pumpernickel baking in the oven right now, so I may switch up and use that for the scallop sandwich.
 
thanks guys! that sounds nice! chocolate mousse with crushed malteasers folded in too! and crushed daim bar on top! mmm!
 
nucleargirl said:
thanks guys! that sounds nice! chocolate mousse with crushed malteasers folded in too! and crushed daim bar on top! mmm!

Damn... that does sound good.

You know what's great on Mousse?... Flake bar, or crushed http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/gale-gand/honeycomb-candy-recipe/index.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just had a scallop-salad sandwich on fresh pumpernickel bread. I love browned pan-fried fresh scallops, and when we have left-overs, it's great to mince them up along with some celery, season lightly and mix with mayonnaise.
 
We had cream caramel for dessert today. I forgot I know how to make it, but it suddenly popped into my head out of nowhere. Version I do is just a cup of milk plus 1 egg, plus a little bit of vanilla flavor, boiled in two pots (makeshift water bath), served with caramel sauce made on the frying pan just from sugar and water. Everything cooled down.
 
Borek said:
We had cream caramel for dessert today. I forgot I know how to make it, but it suddenly popped into my head out of nowhere. Version I do is just a cup of milk plus 1 egg, plus a little bit of vanilla flavor, boiled in two pots (makeshift water bath), served with caramel sauce made on the frying pan just from sugar and water. Everything cooled down.
How would be the normal method of eating it? As a spread or just spoon it directly into the mouth?

I sounds like something I'd like. Sounds very rich, which is what I like.
 
dlgoff said:
How would be the normal method of eating it? As a spread or just spoon it directly into the mouth?

I sounds like something I'd like. Sounds very rich, which is what I like.

You'd love it... everyone does! You may have had "flan" before?... same thing usually.

It's a semi-firm custard that usually is cooked in ramekins, with the caramel sauce arising as a result of sugar placed on the bottom. You overturn this, and you have a neat little custard with a browned "top", and it's own caramel sauce.

I like Borek's way too... faster, and less involved if its not for family.

This my friend, is Creme Caramel (creme being cream, Borek is absolutely correct):
112421234_bc0cb0fd0d.jpg


Compare to a softer custard such as Creme Brulee:

creme-brulee-7.jpg


Similar, but a little more egg, and then the "brulee" or burning of the sugared top, instead of inverting the dish to serve with a sauce. Both are definitely spoon foods, and comfort foods. Flan...

[PLAIN]http://30.media.tumblr.com/Qhr3z37EFq0ksodtIZbpF4hJo1_500.jpg

From France, Cuba, the USA, and everything in between, it seems that this is a VERY popular form of custard.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Never mind Bork. I've seen all I need to see thanks to nismaratwork.

Where have I been all my life?
 
nismaratwork said:
If you like brussel's sprouts, then you're using a great method to cook them: high heat for a short time makes sweet sprouts without the sulphur bomb effect. :wink:
I also read that if you cut out the core, they're less bitter.

Sorry for not gushing over turbo's seafood and the desserts, I've been nauseated the last couple of days. Bad timing. :eek:
 
dlgoff said:
How would be the normal method of eating it? As a spread or just spoon it directly into the mouth?

Just a spoon.

Note that the version my Dad brought home from excavations in Egypt back in sixties (and which I learned in early seventies) produces something too soft for cutting, it breaks even when just transferred on the spoon. It can be probably easily changed by changing egg/milk proportion in favor of eggs.

nismaratwork said:
This my friend, is Creme Caramel (creme being cream, Borek is absolutely correct):

Actually it was a typo :blushing:
 
My wife made something very similar today, Borek. A vanilla-bean-flavored custard with nutmeg. I usually save the last spoonful or so for Duke. When I take a little dish of that out of the fridge, he is REALLY attentive until the end, when it is his turn.
 
Evo said:
I also read that if you cut out the core, they're less bitter.

Sorry for not gushing over turbo's seafood and the desserts, I've been nauseated the last couple of days. Bad timing. :eek:

Awwww... hope you feel better!

@Borek: Oh! Heh... still technically correct though. :wink:

@Turbo-1: Homemade custard?... Lucky Dog!
 
dlgoff said:
Never mind Bork. I've seen all I need to see thanks to nismaratwork.

Where have I been all my life?

I don't know, but you need to start making custard there! :biggrin:
 
nismaratwork said:
I don't know, but you need to start making custard there! :biggrin:
As good as it looks, I think I'm going to dedicate my time to the beer project first. :smile:

I'm sure my belly will swell just as much regardless of which one I intake.
 
dlgoff said:
As good as it looks, I think I'm going to dedicate my time to the beer project first. :smile:

I'm sure my belly will swell just as much regardless of which one I intake.

You're better off with beer! Eventually, you'll pass out... Custard is limitless. :biggrin:
 
gravenewworld said:
My new coffee maker:

31Rh1y2qHlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Mmmmmm... vacuum coffee maker...

Put some Kona or JBM in that puppy! It looks really good too, but then, maybe I just like the lab aesthetic.


@Borek: Any Polish food recommendations? Kabanos has opened my eyes to a subtler world of Polish foods, and ones that aren't normally pegged as Polish in the USA.
 
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/Makowiec.jpg
This picture was supplied by Borek in the Random thoughts thread. It is a picture of what I always called mun. I like it very much. A lot of my friends say it tastes like dirt and I kind of agree. Now go back to Random Thoughts.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3171206&posted=1#post3171206"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmy Snyder said:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/Makowiec.jpg
This picture was supplied by Borek. It is a picture of what I always called mun. I like it very much. A lot of my friends say it tastes like dirt and I kind of agree.

I love that stuff, and that's a slightly sweeter version of what I got... kind of a poppyseed/yeast "Swiss Roll".

I know what you mean about the taste... call it "earthy" and now you're a connesuir. :wink:

I love Mastic Gum (straight up, Chios Mastica sap)... like spruce gum, you love it, or think it tastes like bark.
 
nismaratwork said:
@Borek: Any Polish food recommendations? Kabanos has opened my eyes to a subtler world of Polish foods, and ones that aren't normally pegged as Polish in the USA.

There are some things that I think may be worth trying, but I am afraid they can be difficult to find. There is a soup - żurek z białą kiełbasą - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sour_rye_soup with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weisswurst - but a lot depends on the way it is prepared and it is served in many variants of which only one is right IMHO. There are many kinds of dumplings - called pierogi - my favorites are called here Russian dumplings - ruskie pierogi, stuffed with mix of potatoes and white cheese. There are things that are very simple but great - like bread with lard, served as a spread with a pinch of salt and with pickled cucumbers (note that the bread in Poland may be not identical with the breads you know). Even simple http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaszanka can be great - a lot depends on how it was made and how it is served. Then there are things that some find great and some find bad, like common carp (fried, roasted or in gellatin) - some don't like its meat as it has a little bit muddy taste, others (including me) like it for the same reason.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
nismaratwork said:
Mmmmmm... vacuum coffee maker...

Put some Kona or JBM in that puppy! It looks really good too, but then, maybe I just like the lab aesthetic.


@Borek: Any Polish food recommendations? Kabanos has opened my eyes to a subtler world of Polish foods, and ones that aren't normally pegged as Polish in the USA.

Not a vacuum coffee maker, but rather a cold drip coffee maker.
 
gravenewworld said:
31Rh1y2qHlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Looks like something that would get you arrested in Texas.
 
gravenewworld said:
Not a vacuum coffee maker, but rather a cold drip coffee maker.

Cold drip? Hmmm...

@Borek: Yeah, or something from 'The Dukes of Hazard'.
 
Borek said:
Looks like something that would get you arrested in Texas.

Possibly. Supposedly using cold drip removes a lot of the acidity and bitterness and gives you a much smoother brew. It makes a really concentrated brew at the bottom which you combine with hot water to make a warm cup of jo. It may be a tad gimmicky, but I think it makes for a neat decoration. That's probably just the chemist portion of me talking that is fascinated by the glassware aspect of the piece. You see a lot of these cold drip coffee makers in Asian countries and in Chinatowns across the US.