Post your recipes, cuisines, dishes and dining experiences

  • Thread starter Thread starter arunbg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Evo Food Thread
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5,074 replies · 818K views
Astronuc said:
Italian Turnip and Rice Soup with Parmesan Cheese
This elegant soup has a flavour that sharpens the appetite in unexpected ways; serve hot to 6 people as a first course, most especially before pork.

http://www.mrneep.co.uk/italiansoup.htm

Hmmm! I've just gone from "how do I use all of this Kabanosy!" to, "Damn, I need to buy more Kabanosy... AND italian sausage!"

When I have veins like iron in 5 years, I'm blaming this thread. :-p

Now I just have to buy the turnips...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have a cook-book recommendation... I'd share the recipes, but It would involve scanning pages illegally. So, support the authors if you like, and take it from someone who loves soup: this is good.

Note: This is more a collection of recipes for excellent and creative soups than it is for technique. In other words, I endorse the end result only.

'New England Soup Factor Cookbook' by Marjorie Druker and Clara Silverstein.
 
FitIsAwesome gets serious credit for me remembering this at all:

If you want a unique take on a Chocolate Chip cookie a la the Tollhouse method:

Buy a bag of those disgusting "butterscotch" chips: melt enough for one cup, and add to your cookie dough. Add chocolate chips as usual, and butterscotch chips to taste.

The result? An alchemical miracle: extremely thin and crisp cookies with a kind of "candy" taste... extremely tastey. Kids LOVE them, and it's a good way to introduce them to a product made at home, which is normally bought pre-made/prepared.
 
Oh my... I forgot how good this is:

[PLAIN]http://www.polishfood.co.uk/shopimages/products/normal/Wawel-S24Michalki280gcandy-wrapped.jpg

I also snagged makowiec, and more Kabanosy.

Polish food is so terribly underrated... Wawel makes a pretty decent chocolate. *yum*
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just HAD to post this picture here. None of my (non physics geek) friends would understand (except my daughter). I just think the decoration on top looks like an atom!

IMG_9240-1.jpg


If you want the recipe go http://willowbirdbaking.wordpress.com/2011/01/24/red-velvet-cheesecake/"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
nismaratwork said:
Red Velvet Cake with Tritium and Deuterium frosting! :biggrin:
That could be the reason why it's a little heavier.
 
dlgoff said:
That could be the reason why it's a little heavier.

:smile:

edit: Lisab: WHERE!? Cheesecake?! *sniff* WHERE?!
 
lisab said:
Aaaahhh, cheesecake :!)

did someone say cheese? I've just tonight been admiring a most remarkable website on the details for concocting your own homemade Limburger cheese, complete with warnings against introducing poisonous bacteria. Anyway, the care and feeding of various bacteria and slime molds is a critical factor in making the best homemade Limburger--aged to taste.

For those that dare to tread: http://www.cheeseforum.org/Recipes/Recipe_Limburger.htm"

If you contemplate manufacturing and consuming this delicacy, only to come up missing on the Physics Forums role calls, please leave a message to someone or anyone, beforehand, honoring myself as the agent of your demise.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This is my recipe. A healthy treat that is recommendable for almost everyone. Diabetics need not restrain themselves from this recipe. Just dig in and enjoy!:wink:

No Sugar Apple Pie


INGREDIENTS

* 2 (9 inch) pie shell
* 3 tablespoons cornstarch
* 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
* 1 (12 fluid ounce) can unsweetened apple juice concentrate, thawed
* 6 cups sliced green apples

DIRECTIONS

* Set the oven to preheat settings of 350 degrees F.
* Beat cornstarch with cinnamon and 1/3 cup of the apple juice concentrate in a small bowl. Reserve for later use.
* Simmer the apples in a large saucepan, using the rest of the apple juice concentrate. Leave it cooking for 10 minutes or until the apples are tender. Mix in the cornstarch mixture and cook further until thick. Turn off stove and remove from heat.
* Ladle the apple mixture onto a pie plate lined with pastry. Place the top crust and seal the edges. Place steam vents on top before placing it into the oven to bake for 45 minutes or just until the crust becomes golden brown.
 
I just got back from the market and I'm in the process of making a stir-fry. I use lots of vegetables, some of which are zucchinis, but for some reason they were out of them. So I bought some Brussels instead. I wonder how it's going to turn out.

Well I'm working on my microbrewery growler while it's cooking, so it will probably taste fine by the time I'm done with the beer.
 
dlgoff said:
I just got back from the market and I'm in the process of making a stir-fry. I use lots of vegetables, some of which are zucchinis, but for some reason they were out of them. So I bought some Brussels instead. I wonder how it's going to turn out.

Well I'm working on my microbrewery growler while it's cooking, so it will probably taste fine by the time I'm done with the beer.

If you like brussel's sprouts, then you're using a great method to cook them: high heat for a short time makes sweet sprouts without the sulphur bomb effect. :wink:
 
smoothie12 said:
This is my recipe. A healthy treat that is recommendable for almost everyone. Diabetics need not restrain themselves from this recipe. Just dig in and enjoy!:wink:

No Sugar Apple Pie


INGREDIENTS

* 2 (9 inch) pie shell
* 3 tablespoons cornstarch
* 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
* 1 (12 fluid ounce) can unsweetened apple juice concentrate, thawed
* 6 cups sliced green apples

DIRECTIONS

* Set the oven to preheat settings of 350 degrees F.
* Beat cornstarch with cinnamon and 1/3 cup of the apple juice concentrate in a small bowl. Reserve for later use.
* Simmer the apples in a large saucepan, using the rest of the apple juice concentrate. Leave it cooking for 10 minutes or until the apples are tender. Mix in the cornstarch mixture and cook further until thick. Turn off stove and remove from heat.
* Ladle the apple mixture onto a pie plate lined with pastry. Place the top crust and seal the edges. Place steam vents on top before placing it into the oven to bake for 45 minutes or just until the crust becomes golden brown.

Mmm... that sounds really good... still, nothing beats a baked apple dumpling... mmmmmm.

http://www.boltonspringfarm.com/bakery.html

I don't know their recipe, and for my health I don't want to... I used to pick apples there though, and the treat at the end (beyond the treat of picking apples) was a dumpling.
 
My wife and I are celebrating our 36th anniversary this weekend. I cooked up two 3-1/2# Maine lobsters, and we ate one and shelled the other to make lobster-rolls for tomorrow. Later tonight, we'll pan-fry fresh Atlantic scallops. Seafood heaven!

Tomorrow, I'll marinade a pound of jumbo tiger shrimp and grill them over charcoal on Sunday. Spicy marinade with red wine, olive oil, lemon juice, halapeno relish, and my secret herbs and spices.

My wife is starting a poolish tonight with a bit of dough from the last batch, so we'll have fresh French bread tomorrow for the lobster rolls.
 
turbo-1 said:
My wife and I are celebrating our 36th anniversary this weekend. I cooked up two 3-1/2# Maine lobsters, and we ate one and shelled the other to make lobster-rolls for tomorrow. Later tonight, we'll pan-fry fresh Atlantic scallops. Seafood heaven!

Tomorrow, I'll marinade a pound of jumbo tiger shrimp and grill them over charcoal on Sunday. Spicy marinade with red wine, olive oil, lemon juice, halapeno relish, and my secret herbs and spices.

My wife is starting a poolish tonight with a bit of dough from the last batch, so we'll have fresh French bread tomorrow for the lobster rolls.

Wow... um, if you find a 6'2" (clearly a dude) transvestite show up on your front door tonight... don't shoot, it's me in a wig and dress pretending to be your wife. I would go in drag for that kind of chow! :biggrin:

Oh, and turbo... Happy 36th... Mazel Tov to you both.
 
turbo-1 said:
My wife and I are celebrating our 36th anniversary this weekend. I cooked up two 3-1/2# Maine lobsters, and we ate one and shelled the other to make lobster-rolls for tomorrow. Later tonight, we'll pan-fry fresh Atlantic scallops. Seafood heaven!

Tomorrow, I'll marinade a pound of jumbo tiger shrimp and grill them over charcoal on Sunday. Spicy marinade with red wine, olive oil, lemon juice, halapeno relish, and my secret herbs and spices.

My wife is starting a poolish tonight with a bit of dough from the last batch, so we'll have fresh French bread tomorrow for the lobster rolls.

Congratulations you two. May there be many good eats to come.
 
turbo-1 said:
Thanks, nismar! The anniversary is actually on the 28th, but we decided on an all-weekend food celebration.

:smile:

Ok, you may find a number of suspiciously hairy and basso-voiced "ladies" pretending to be your wife now!
 
dlgoff said:
Congratulations you two. May there be many good eats to come.
As much as we both love to cook, I think that's guaranteed, as long as we are kicking.
 
Mmmm! The pan-seared scallops were fantastic! Nicely browned and sweet. There is still about 1/2# of the scallops left over. I'm stuffed, but I'm planning on a scallop-and-lobster salad sandwich for breakfast. BTW, my dog is a NUT! I slipped him a little piece of lobster-tail this afternoon and he spit it out. The guy is a garbage disposal, and he will eat tree bark, but he spit out a nice piece of the sweetest meat of the lobster. I need to sit him down and have a long talk.
 
dlgoff said:
I just got back from the market and I'm in the process of making a stir-fry. I use lots of vegetables, some of which are zucchinis, but for some reason they were out of them. So I bought some Brussels instead. I wonder how it's going to turn out.

Well I'm working on my microbrewery growler while it's cooking, so it will probably taste fine by the time I'm done with the beer.

I though I should report back on this one.

Normally I'm not much for recipes; I guess I take after my mom for that (oh just a little of this, stir in some ..., What? Temperature?).

Anyway. I'll never make a stir-fry with zucchinis again. The brussels turned out great.

recipe (feeds 4):

1.5 lbs cheap (well it wasn't that cheap) pounded cube steak...cut up and brown slowly with lots of seasonings (salt, o-power, q-power, soy sauce...)

Drink one glass of beer while browning

In a different pot (no heat) cut up white and red onions, bell pepper, 6 chili peppers (hot), two carrots, add the brussels and drizzle with soy sauce.

Drink one glass of beer while cutting up the veggies.

Pour the browned meat and juices over the veggies, cover and steam on low until you finish another couple beers or so.
 
dlgoff said:
I though I should report back on this one.

Normally I'm not much for recipes; I guess I take after my mom for that (oh just a little of this, stir in some ..., What? Temperature?).

Anyway. I'll never make a stir-fry with zucchinis again. The brussels turned out great.

recipe (feeds 4):

1.5 lbs cheap (well it wasn't that cheap) pounded cube steak...cut up and brown slowly with lots of seasonings (salt, o-power, q-power, soy sauce...)

Drink one glass of beer while browning

In a different pot (no heat) cut up white and red onions, bell pepper, 6 chili peppers (hot), two carrots, add the brussels and drizzle with soy sauce.

Drink one glass of beer while cutting up the veggies.

Pour the browned meat and juices over the veggies, cover and steam on low until you finish another couple beers or so.


<...lisab wonders what q-powder is :confused:...>
 
lisab said:
<...lisab wonders what q-powder is :confused:...>
oops. g for garlic
 
I went on a chocolate buying binge and have malteasers, dark chocolate and daim bars... I want to make an awesome dessert with them! like with cream! but don't know how to incoorporate it... an ideas?