Post your recipes, cuisines, dishes and dining experiences

  • Thread starter Thread starter arunbg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Evo Food Thread
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5,074 replies · 819K views
Physics news on Phys.org
turbo-1 said:
Just found that coffee-maker on Amazon. $200!

I don't want it anymore. :bugeye:
 
nismaratwork said:
I don't want it anymore. :bugeye:
Nor do I. I have a perfectly fine espresso maker that cost me less than $50, and makes me a 4-demitasse carafe of good brew every morning.

My wife goes an even simpler route - a Melitta funnel-shaped plastic filter-holder and a pack of #4 filters.
 
I have a question about smell and food.

I don't eat beef much anymore, but tonight I cooked a steak. Very high heat, the outer fat was nicely charred but the inside was rare.

Now, it's been several hours since I cooked it, but the smell of charred beef fat is still so strong! I smell it with every breath. So how come we become accustomed to some food smells, and not others? Is it because our brains are hard-wired to love fat?
 
lisab said:
I have a question about smell and food.

I don't eat beef much anymore, but tonight I cooked a steak. Very high heat, the outer fat was nicely charred but the inside was rare.

Now, it's been several hours since I cooked it, but the smell of charred beef fat is still so strong! I smell it with every breath. So how come we become accustomed to some food smells, and not others? Is it because our brains are hard-wired to love fat?

I have no hard evidence to hand, but I recall that we have a large number of receptors specifically to smell char, meat, and anything proteinaceous. The grease smell lingers because... it actually lingers on surfaces.
 
Borek said:
Looks like something that would get you arrested in Texas.

Or the center-piece of a coffee table in California.
 
Dembadon said:
Or the center-piece of a coffee table in California.

Heh...

I had a coffee maker like that once... for about a year. I drank a LOT of coffee... :rolleyes:
 
nismaratwork said:
I have no hard evidence to hand, but I recall that we have a large number of receptors specifically to smell char, meat, and anything proteinaceous. The grease smell lingers because... it actually lingers on surfaces.

Hmm, I just had a good meal. I'm too fat and happy to go cleaning stuff :-p.
 
lisab said:
Hmm, I just had a good meal. I'm too fat and happy to go cleaning stuff :-p.

How about...

http://www.gourmandia.com/video-recipes-cooking-videos/wolf-eel-with-salt-crust-tomato-sauce-and-basil
http://www.gourmandia.com/video-recipes-cooking-videos/wolf-eel-with-fleurette-sauce-saffron-pills-and-green-lemon


Mmmmm... you're right, they look good.

[URL]http://www.gourmandia.com/m/thumb/grilled-wolf-eel-with-beaten-milk-and-horseradish.jpg[/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
nismaratwork said:
How about...

http://www.gourmandia.com/video-recipes-cooking-videos/wolf-eel-with-salt-crust-tomato-sauce-and-basil
http://www.gourmandia.com/video-recipes-cooking-videos/wolf-eel-with-fleurette-sauce-saffron-pills-and-green-lemon


Mmmmm... you're right, they look good.

[URL]http://www.gourmandia.com/m/thumb/grilled-wolf-eel-with-beaten-milk-and-horseradish.jpg
[/URL]

Nooooo! They're so sweet...don't eat my friends!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
Nooooo! They're so sweet...don't eat my friends!

Very sweet it seems... a bit like Congar Eel...


Don't worry, I'm not eating any eel except Pike and Congar... I love animals too much to eat something so gentle as a wolf eel.
 
The other night I had a little bit of meat left on a chicken, so on a whim I made a small amount of chicken soup HEAVY with fresh cilantro, onions, and habaneros. Mmmmmmmmm, it was surprisingly good. I'm starting to think I like anything laced with capsaicin.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
The other night I had a little bit of meat left on a chicken, so on a whim I made a small amount of chicken soup HEAVY with fresh cilantro, onions, and habaneros. Mmmmmmmmm, it was surprisingly good. I'm starting to think I like anything laced with capsaicin.

You should! It's a flavor enhancer that works quite well with salt, and glutamate! Yum!

Try a bit of chili powder in your cocoa, or put some dried habaneros (WHOLE) in a sachet into raw cocoa for storage. You will be happy.
 
My wife and I made Spanish rice this afternoon, using my home-made marinara from last summer as a base. Mmmm! Much better than using canned tomato sauce. I'll have to make and freeze more gallons of marinara next summer. I'll have to plant extra Mariana tomatoes (Roma variant) basil, cilantro, etc.
 
My wife was a mad baker today: She made French bread, pumpernickel, French bread with roasted garlic, and French bread with roasted garlic, rosemary, and sun-dried tomatoes. The last version is the best, IMO. She made up that recipe on the fly and still wants to tinker with it, so I'll have some more fresh bread later this week.
 
turbo-1 said:
My wife was a mad baker today: She made French bread, pumpernickel, French bread with roasted garlic, and French bread with roasted garlic, rosemary, and sun-dried tomatoes. The last version is the best, IMO. She made up that recipe on the fly and still wants to tinker with it, so I'll have some more fresh bread later this week.

sign0008.gif


Oh god... so good. If you see a 6'2" monster with curly hair skulking in your yard, sniffing for bread... it's just me, so don't shoot! :wink:
 
Well got the cold drip coffee maker and tried it out last night. There is definitely a pretty big difference between cold brewed coffee and warm brewed. The cold is milder with definitely a less acidic taste and less bitterness. I notice a big difference because I drink my coffee black. Some people may not like cold drip coffee because they actually prefer the bitter taste with the slight bite that regular coffee has. If you have indigestion problems drinking regular coffee, I could see a cold drip brewed coffee being much easier on your stomach. Definitely much more mellow.
 
managed to gain a kilo from eating last week... good times!
 
nucleargirl said:
managed to gain a kilo from eating last week... good times!

The measure of weight, or class of submarine?

*runs away*
 
Eggplant alert! I was watching Anthony Bourdain the other night and he decided to impress his European hosts by making ratatouille. Unfortunately, he thought it was made by cooking the vegetables separately and then tossing them together at the last moment, since this seems to be the new trend and a lot of people don't know that is not how traditional ratatouille is made. The host set him straight "this tastes good, but it's not ratatouille".

Ratatouille is a vegetable stew, all of the vegetables are placed in a pot together and the unique flavor comes from stewing the vegetables together until they almost disintegrate.

This is what it should look like, it's peasant food, they didn't have tons of pans and time to cook every individual item, it all went into a single pot and cooked for a long time.

ratatouille.jpg


Anyway, this is part 1 of what will be a tutorial on traditional ratatouille and the differences between it and caponata, bohemienne, and the newly invented Confit byaldi which was misrepresented as ratatouille in the cartoon movie Ratatouille.

Yes, I am a nit picky traditionalist and people should know what they're eating. All are tasty, but often confused. More to come.
 
Corned beef question. I know the point cut is fattier than the flat cut, but it's on sale for a dollar a pound cheaper than the flat. I'm just wondering if the percentage of fat makes the point cheaper or same as the flat? Does anyone know, on average, what percentage of fat a point usually has as opposed to the flat?
 
Evo said:
Corned beef question. I know the point cut is fattier than the flat cut, but it's on sale for a dollar a pound cheaper than the flat. I'm just wondering if the percentage of fat makes the point cheaper or same as the flat? Does anyone know, on average, what percentage of fat a point usually has as opposed to the flat?

Not a clue, but it tends to be less a matter of fatty marbling, and more fat you need to trim... I'd guess that varies by butcher. I'd guess from experience... maybe 10%-15%?
 
Mmmmm... ratatouille is fantastic stuff... must make your french blood sing!
 
nismaratwork said:
Mmmmm... ratatouille is fantastic stuff... must make your french blood sing!
Made correctly, I could live on it.
 
Evo said:
Made correctly, I could live on it.

Hmmm... I think if you ate some beans and eggs.. yeah, you probably literally could. Heh...

French Peasant Food: Rich veggie stew, crusty bread, butter, cheese.
Scottish Peasant FOod: Stuff the worst parts of a sheep into its own stomach with oatmeal.

Yep... French please!
 
Oh wow, tonight's dinner was amazing.

2 slices bacon
1/4 sliced onion

Cook until bacon is almost done. Add

~3 cups chopped kale, freshly washed so it still has water on it

Cook on medium heat for a few minutes. Add

~1 cup cooked pinto beans
~1/2 cup chicken broth

Simmer until kale cooks down, about 5 minutes. Add a little

salt
pepper
smoked paprika

Ooooo yummy time. Kale...:!)...if you don't eat much kale, you should start! Now be honest, I had you at the bacon & onions :biggrin:!
 
lisab said:
Oh wow, tonight's dinner was amazing.

2 slices bacon
1/4 sliced onion

Cook until bacon is almost done. Add

~3 cups chopped kale, freshly washed so it still has water on it

Cook on medium heat for a few minutes. Add

~1 cup cooked pinto beans
~1/2 cup chicken broth

Simmer until kale cooks down, about 5 minutes. Add a little

salt
pepper
smoked paprika

Ooooo yummy time. Kale...:!)...if you don't eat much kale, you should start!


Now be honest, I had you at the bacon & onions :biggrin:!

Yes, yes you did.
 
lisab said:
Oh wow, tonight's dinner was amazing.

2 slices bacon
1/4 sliced onion

Cook until bacon is almost done. Add

~3 cups chopped kale, freshly washed so it still has water on it

Cook on medium heat for a few minutes. Add

~1 cup cooked pinto beans
~1/2 cup chicken broth

Simmer until kale cooks down, about 5 minutes. Add a little

salt
pepper
smoked paprika

Ooooo yummy time. Kale...:!)...if you don't eat much kale, you should start!


Now be honest, I had you at the bacon & onions :biggrin:!
Ooooh, love kale!