Post your recipes, cuisines, dishes and dining experiences

  • Thread starter Thread starter arunbg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Evo Food Thread
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5,074 replies · 823K views
I'd eat the bacon and onions with the paprika on toast... the rest is delicious, but simply dressing... :biggrin:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
HeLiXe said:
I have been making my own tzatziki sauce and gyros...soooo good :)

Speaking as a 1st generation (half) Greek, GOOD FOR YOU!
 
HeLiXe said:
I have been making my own tzatziki sauce and gyros...soooo good :)
oooh, not fair, I love gyros!
 
Evo said:
oooh, not fair, I love gyros!

You're a GOOD Evo, you know that?

Now, for the final test: lamb or beef?
 
nismaratwork said:
You're a GOOD Evo, you know that?

Now, for the final test: lamb or beef?
Lamb.
 
nismaratwork said:
Speaking as a 1st generation (half) Greek, GOOD FOR YOU!

I read that as half geek -_- *puts on glasses* geez I'm really doing bad today.

Evo said:
oooh, not fair, I love gyros!

Me too! and I despise yoghurt but now I found a way I can eat it :D tzatziki sauce! I had no idea it was so easy to make lol
 
Yogurt... I love it so much... SO much.

Just plain greek yogurt, a little honey, or some jam... oh god yes.

It's combination with sour cream, mayo, a little lemon zest, a bit of sugar, some mirin, and a splash of herbs (basil works) and you have the base for a KILLER chicken salad.
 
HeLiXe said:
*googles mirin*

I'm not going to google it, I'm just going to sit here and think it's the liquid you get when you squeeze a goldfish really tight.
 
My wife has been on a tear during the last few months, making lots of rustic artisan breads every weekend. The last couple of weeks, in addition to the plain bread, she has been making bread with rosemary, sun-dried tomatoes and garlic. Today, she tweaked that up even more with the addition of chopped broiled hot chilies. It's great with butter or in a chicken-salad sandwich. Even better as a grilled-cheese sandwich with sharp cheese and mustard. The baguette-sized loaves are perfect for small sandwiches to serve with soup.
 
Last edited:
lisab said:
I'm not going to google it, I'm just going to sit here and think it's the liquid you get when you squeeze a goldfish really tight.

Whoa! Your avatar is so deceptive... :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirin

I would add a splach of rice-wine vinegar too, and if you use the mirin you don't need to add sugar.
 
turbo-1 said:
My wife has been on a tear during the last few months, making lots of rustic artisan breads every weekend. The last couple of weeks, in addition to the plain bread, she has been making bread with rosemary, sun-dried tomatoes and garlic. Today, she tweaked that up even more with the addition of chopped broiled hot chilies. It's great with butter or in a chicken-salad sandwich. Even better as a grilled-cheese sandwich with sharp cheese and mustard. The baguette-sized loaves are perfect for small sandwiches to serve with soup.

Hmmm... if your foot is still bunko come planting season, you might find a strange drifter willing to work for grilled cheese. :!)

Or I'm stealing your wife! :biggrin:
 
I just had grilled cheez! :D (without reading this thread before making it.) Can I win something?
 
HeLiXe said:
I just had grilled cheez! :D (without reading this thread before making it.) Can I win something?
You win the drooling contest for imagining that the bread for your sandwich was made with rustic artisan bread with roasted garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, rosemary, and chopped roasted chilies. It's too good to describe. We finished up that little batch today, and my wife is going to thaw out some chilies in the morning and put them under the broiler and make another batch tomorrow. She can get two boules and a demi-baguette out of one batch of dough, so I'll be stylin' for bread. She likes to give bread to friends and family, so I may have to tie her up and leave her in the cellar so she can't do that. I hate when that happens, but what can you do?
 
turbo-1 said:
You win the drooling contest for imagining that the bread for your sandwich was made with rustic artisan bread with roasted garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, rosemary, and chopped roasted chilies. It's too good to describe. We finished up that little batch today, and my wife is going to thaw out some chilies in the morning and put them under the broiler and make another batch tomorrow. She can get two boules and a demi-baguette out of one batch of dough, so I'll be stylin' for bread. She likes to give bread to friends and family, so I may have to tie her up and leave her in the cellar so she can't do that. I hate when that happens, but what can you do?

*knock knock*
Who's there?
ME, Gimme bread dude! I know you're hobbled right now, so just hands it over, and nobodys gets hoits. :wink:
 
turbo-1 said:
You win the drooling contest for imagining that the bread for your sandwich was made with rustic artisan bread with roasted garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, rosemary, and chopped roasted chilies. It's too good to describe. We finished up that little batch today, and my wife is going to thaw out some chilies in the morning and put them under the broiler and make another batch tomorrow. She can get two boules and a demi-baguette out of one batch of dough, so I'll be stylin' for bread. She likes to give bread to friends and family, so I may have to tie her up and leave her in the cellar so she can't do that. I hate when that happens, but what can you do?

My grilled cheese pales in comparison -_- lol @ stylin for bread! I like to give away baked things too...but I don't know anyone here.


I would really like to have rice today but I can't make a decent pot of rice to save my life.
 
HeLiXe said:
My grilled cheese pales in comparison -_- lol @ stylin for bread! I like to give away baked things too...but I don't know anyone here.


I would really like to have rice today but I can't make a decent pot of rice to save my life.
Buy a Black and Decker steamer and stock up on Basmati rice. The best rice you've ever had - bar none.
 
turbo-1 said:
Buy a Black and Decker steamer and stock up on Basmati rice. The best rice you've ever had - bar none.

Basmati is great, but good sticky japanese rice is the BEST. If you're lucky enough to get REALLY sticky rice with akazuki bean paste... yum.
 
nismaratwork said:
Basmati is great, but good sticky japanese rice is the BEST. If you're lucky enough to get REALLY sticky rice with akazuki bean paste... yum.
I love the nutty aroma of steaming Basmati.
 
turbo-1 said:
I love the nutty aroma of steaming Basmati.

No arguments there, and nothing goes better with murgh tikka masala, or gohst curry.

Heck, just salt it and put a bit of olive oil or butter and I'll eat it straight up. Still... Japanese rice is king, Basmati is queen, and Arborio is the grand duke.
 
turbo-1 said:
Buy a Black and Decker steamer and stock up on Basmati rice. The best rice you've ever had - bar none.

I've never tried it with a steamer...but I have really messed up a pot of basmati before ---it feels like sacrilege
 
HeLiXe said:
I've never tried it with a steamer...but I have really messed up a pot of basmati before ---it feels like sacrilege
B&D steamers are quite affordable. You can make perfect rice with one. Also comes in quite handy for steaming broccoli, carrots, etc when you don't want to lose the vitamins through boiling.
 
A crockpot can do the trick in a pinch too if you don't want to have a dedicated steamer.
 
HeLiXe said:
I've never tried it with a steamer...but I have really messed up a pot of basmati before ---it feels like sacrilege
Just don't use Astronuc's recipe

1 cup of rice
3 cups of cold water

Bring both to a boil, remove from heat, and let sit, covered for 20 minutes.

That still gives me nightmares.
 
Evo said:
Just don't use Astronuc's recipe

1 cup of rice
3 cups of cold water

Bring both to a boil, remove from heat, and let sit, covered for 20 minutes.

That still gives me nightmares.

Is that a recipe for bricks? :smile:
 
Evo said:
Just don't use Astronuc's recipe

1 cup of rice
3 cups of cold water

Bring both to a boil, remove from heat, and let sit, covered for 20 minutes.

That still gives me nightmares.

>_> What's wrong with it? The water to rice ratio? Or removing from the heat instead of keeping it on a low fire?
 
turbo-1 said:
B&D steamers are quite affordable. You can make perfect rice with one. Also comes in quite handy for steaming broccoli, carrots, etc when you don't want to lose the vitamins through boiling.
but what am I supposed to do? Sorry I'm really bad with this and so many people have tried to help me before but I always mess it up...sometimes it's like pudding and fine gravel, and sometimes the top is hard and the bottom is ok -_- How much rice should I use and how long should I steam it? I have a stainless steel steamer here but the holes are too big to do rice.
nismaratwork said:
A crockpot can do the trick in a pinch too if you don't want to have a dedicated steamer.

I think this is too advanced for me lol