Post Your Summer/Fall 2013 Class Schedules

• Thread starter Genericcoder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the person's fall 2013 class schedule includes taking Calculus I, General Physics I, Chemistry I, and Intro to Anthropology. They are also volunteering in a superconductivity lab and thinking about a part time job.
romsofia said:
I thought in most universities you can just talk to the professors and they'll allow you to take their class if you can show you know the pre-req material well. Nonetheless, have fun with your cosets and isomorphisms!
Don't talk him out of it. He needs algebra.

Physics news on Phys.org
hsetennis said:
Is that the graduate Algebra with Dennis?

I hope you don't mind if I ask what you took last year?

He was actually just kidding about the algebra; he just said said it to mess with jorriss since he's always grilling him about taking algebra

QuantumCurt said:
Your schedule's pretty similar to mine. I've got Calculus I, General Physics I, General Chemistry I...but I've got Intro to Anthropology, and Beginning Spanish I. Aside from that, sounds like we'll have a similar semester.

I'm looking forward to it. Should be a fun and challenging semester.

Same here. While most people are complaining about school starting in two weeks, I am actually counting the days. I am aiming for a a 4.0 first semester but we'll see how it all plays out.

Ps. Where do you attend?

deekin said:
Lounging is certainly one of the great luxuries of life, enjoy it while you can...

Oh I certainly am. I've managed to get quite a bit done around the house though too, in between lounging on the couch. I've also worked through a lot of material in my College Algebra, and Trigonometry textbooks that we skipped over, or just briefly touched on over the last couple semesters. I'm looking ahead into my Calculus book a little bit too. So, it hasn't all be complete lounging...just mostly...lol

Metta said:
Same here. While most people are complaining about school starting in two weeks, I am actually counting the days. I am aiming for a a 4.0 first semester but we'll see how it all plays out. Ps. Where do you attend?

I'm currently in a community college, Sauk Valley Community College, in northwestern Illinois. I'm getting all of my lower level courses and my GenEds done here. After I finish my associates, the plan is to transfer to UIUC. I'll have two more years here before I transfer, but I've managed to hold on to my 4.0 through my first year, and my summer classes. I'm counting the days, but I'm also enjoying being on break. My classes start August 19th, so I'm almost there.

This will be your first semester? Where are you going?

Is your General Physics I course algebra/trig based? I'm assuming so, since you're taking Calculus I this semester. I'm looking forward to finishing the algebra based physics, and getting into the Calculus based stuff.

QuantumCurt said:
Oh I certainly am. I've managed to get quite a bit done around the house though too, in between lounging on the couch. I've also worked through a lot of material in my College Algebra, and Trigonometry textbooks that we skipped over, or just briefly touched on over the last couple semesters. I'm looking ahead into my Calculus book a little bit too. So, it hasn't all be complete lounging...just mostly...lol

I'm currently in a community college, Sauk Valley Community College, in northwestern Illinois. I'm getting all of my lower level courses and my GenEds done here. After I finish my associates, the plan is to transfer to UIUC. I'll have two more years here before I transfer, but I've managed to hold on to my 4.0 through my first year, and my summer classes. I'm counting the days, but I'm also enjoying being on break. My classes start August 19th, so I'm almost there.

This will be your first semester? Where are you going?

Is your General Physics I course algebra/trig based? I'm assuming so, since you're taking Calculus I this semester. I'm looking forward to finishing the algebra based physics, and getting into the Calculus based stuff.
Yeah my gen physics class is Trig/algebra based. The hardcore stuff won't begin until spring which again, I cannot wait.

I am also at a CC, mesa community college in Mesa Arizona. I am going for Mechanical Eng. I graduated from HS at 17 and messed around for two years in a Uni and didn't take it serious which ruined my gpa.

Metta said:
Yeah my gen physics class is Trig/algebra based. The hardcore stuff won't begin until spring which again, I cannot wait.

I am also at a CC, mesa community college in Mesa Arizona. I am going for Mechanical Eng. I graduated from HS at 17 and messed around for two years in a Uni and didn't take it serious which ruined my gpa.

Don't feel bad, I dropped out of high school my sophomore year. I was a straight A student up until about halfway through freshmen year when I just quit caring about school. Then I took a hiatus for a few years, and got my GED when I was 18, and started college at 25. Now I'm majoring in physics...possibly going to double major in physics and math after I transfer.

We might have to set up some virtual study sessions since we're going to have almost identical schedules...lol

deekin said:
They split your algebra up into parts like that and allow you to take them simultaneously? Are they undergrad classes? We have Abstract Algebra 1 and 2, where Abs Alg 1 is a prerequisite for 2.
One of them (Groups and fields) focuses on Galois Theory. Advanced Group Theory focuses on more advanced topics in group theory, it is a continuation of a more elementary group theory class that all honors math students take in their 2nd or 3rd year. Both of these classes have several algebra pre-reqs. I am in an algebra stream of a pretty specialized program so "my algebra" is split up into over 5-10 parts if you look at it that way haha, but that is pretty standard. I don't see how the many many many beautiful areas of algebra can just be covered in 3 courses but it depends on the length/how universities organize their course sequences!

EDIT: I guess I should add that those courses are really only accesible to students who are serious about math- they are close analogies to certain graduate courses, but yes we do have several algebra classes offered.

Sounds like a pretty sweet math program. Wish my school had that much to offer, as I'm a math major also. Our math dept is kind of small, so the algebra sequence is only offered every other year, same thing with real analysis, complex analysis, topology, etc.

micromass said:
He was actually just kidding about the algebra; he just said said it to mess with jorriss since he's always grilling him about taking algebra
My heart </3.

In any event, I won't be taking classes this quarter but I'll be auditing graduate real analysis and one other course.

college algebra
English comp 1
conc. phys science
us history
freshman orientation
14 hours.
should all be easy except English comp1

deekin said:
Sounds like a pretty sweet math program. Wish my school had that much to offer, as I'm a math major also. Our math dept is kind of small, so the algebra sequence is only offered every other year, same thing with real analysis, complex analysis, topology, etc.

We have a few courses like that, that are only offered every second year do to the number of students enrolled in them being quite low. It really sucks when that happens, but thankfully the department does offer quite a beautiful collection of courses. The program is not bad, the number of students in undergraduate is very small (there are just as many grad students as there are students in the honors math program). The honors programs are neat since they really allow you to dig in and specialize

First semester of graduate school:

Numerical Heat Transfer & Fluid Flow
Nuclear Reactor Theory

Alright at the college I will be taking super easy classes, so i'll easily pull another 4.0 semester.

Basic PC Literacy
Networking Basics
Operating Systems Concepts
Security Concepts.

Well, given how easy that semester will be, I'm also taking these on coursera!

Programming Languages
Learn to Program: the Fundamentals
Calculus One

I love coursera. On top of all that I bought three Computer Forensics books that I will also be working out of.

Fall Courses:

Analysis II (Theoretical approach to multivariable calculus. Uses Calculus on Manifolds by Spivak)
Advanced Ordinary Differential Equation
Thermal Physics
Mechanics, Oscillations and Chaos
Practical Physics I (Labs, Computation assignments on the computer)

English class
Intro chem 1
Algrbra-based physics
Intro biology
Intro calculus

Will be hard pressed for time. (27 hours in class/lab/seminar)

This fall
-Thermodynamics
-Fluid Mechanics
-Mechanics of Materials II
-Mechanisms
-Numerical Methods
-Electronic Systems

Fall Semester:

- Capstone Project
- Heat Transfer
- Motion Systems Design
- Theory of Vibration
- Technology and Society (Liberal Studies)
- Mechanical Engineering Lab (electronics and measurements)

First semester as an undergrad student!

Mechanics
Calc II
Computer Science (C++ and Matlab)
Human Geography (stupid gen-Eds)
Physics Seminar

Next semester I'm probably doing these two courses:

a Developmental Psychology course with an emphasis on childhood and infancy

and a Foundations of Mathematics course (mostly logic and set theory).

I'm really excited about these courses, its a shame I can't do more than two... so I might be continuing this psych/math split for a while.

First semester as a graduate computer science student after doing my undergrad in mechanical engineering.

Computer Systems Organization
Foundations of Artificial Intelligence
Introduction to Programming Systems Design

Fall Semester:

1. Analysis 1A
2. Linear Algebra A
3. Programming 1
4. Introduction to Mathematical Logic
5. English 1

Plasma Physics
Numerical Methods for Linear Algebra
Abstract Algebra
Side project in Monte Carlo Methods
Tutoring intro physics

Electromagnetic Waves
Microelectronics II
History of Modern Europe
The Art and Craft of Problem Solving (a Putnam preparation course)

I will also be writing up my thesis, but am unlikely to defend in the Fall.

walk_w/o_aim said:
The Art and Craft of Problem Solving (a Putnam preparation course)

I really wanted to take my schools Putnam-prep course, but it conflicts with my analysis class :'-(

dustbin said:
I really wanted to take my schools Putnam-prep course, but it conflicts with my analysis class :'-(

I know the feeling. I've been wanting to take the course for the past two years, but could not due to conflicts. There have also been weekly problem solving sessions that I could never attend because other required classes kept getting in the way.

I'm studying teaching, its a one year postgrad course here in Australia. I'm teaching Science, Maths, IT.

My final 2 subjects to get my teaching credentials:

1. Designing for Diversity
2. Professional Placement& Portfolio

I started practicum teaching in a high school last week, I'm teaching for 8 weeks of the next 12 weeks.

Last edited:
Summer 2013:
Complex Analysis
Data Structures in C++
Software Project Class (2D game)

Fall 2013:
Senior EP Capstone
Stat mech
3D Game Programming Techniques
OpenGL programming w/HLSL
Sociology of Technology

First semester of college

Hon. Multivariable Calculus
Diff. Equations
Mechanics
Physics Seminar

And then maybe a gen. ed. Honestly I'm a little nervous about college level math.

notimeforlove said:
First semester of college

Hon. Multivariable Calculus
Diff. Equations
Mechanics
Physics Seminar

And then maybe a gen. ed. Honestly I'm a little nervous about college level math.

I personally wouldn't take differential equations before having multivariable calculus.

Likes 1 person
Sophomore year of High School:

-English Honors
-Civics 2 Honors
-Foreign Language
- Chemistry Honors
-Multivariable Calculus (yay)
-AP comp sci (Java)
- AP Physics C :)

caldweab said:
I personally wouldn't take differential equations before having multivariable calculus.

I took them simultaneously and I see no reason to take multivariable calc before diff eq. I recommend linear algebra before multivariable calc and diff eq, though.

@Walk_w/o_aim: Hopefully I'll get the opportunity next year. Good luck on the Putnam and enjoy the class!

caldweab said:

At some schools that is standard procedure. At my school, the sequencing is Calc I>>>Calc II>>>Differential Equations>>>Calc III. That's basically the only order they can be taken in, because it's a smaller school, and they only offer Diff EQ in the fall, and Calc III in the spring. It's a two year school, so typically you would be taking Calc III during your last semester, rather than sticking around to take Diff EQ the following year.

Just wondering, how do you guys balance extracurriculars/jobs with homework?

Some of my professors make it a policy to assign at least 15 hours of homework per week per class (and we have to write how long it took on top of the homework), and last semester I took 4 physics classes (as well as a history class) and struggled with the workload. I think I'm going to cap myself at 3 upper division/graduate physics classes per semester to avoid a repeat of that, but it's also important for me to maintain a life beyond classroom physics...

Seems like kind of a weird policy that you need to write how long the homework took you, I've never heard of that. For jobs, I try to get jobs that I can do at odd hours (like late at night). For example, I grade homework for the math department. So I can do this whenever I have spare time, between classes, before I go to bed, etc.

You have to write how long your homework took you? That's quite unusual. I don't even know how I'd calculate that. A lot of the time when I'm doing homework, I'll sit down and do a few problems, then get up and do something else for a little bit, and come back and do a few more etc. That's a strange requirement.